TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: camping sugestions near Niagra Falls
Antron Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:19 pm

Looking to do a day trip to see the Falls the end of April - Any favorite campgrounds in that area (US side preferred) ? Would like Electric hookup so I can use the space heater as the nights will still be cool.

Gonna be the first camping trip in my westfakia & I cannot wait.

Thanks

Bob
87 syncro westfakia

danfromsyr Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:23 pm

4 mile creek is the closest State park to the falls on the US side.

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/regions/niagara/default.aspx

though for tourism the canadian side is far nicer then the US side.
andboth are less so as you get away from the main falls area.

it is cool to see the whirlpool, and the Old fort niagara on the canadian side. as well as the boats passing thru the canal & locks.

enjoy your 1st trip of 2010.

Dan
VW Club of Central NY
www.vwccny.com

vwlovr Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:37 pm

4 mile creek is a great park, i highly recommend it. lot's of RV's around, but the small car/camp sites near the water are pretty sweet. sunset there is amazing...

we stayed there in our RV...

it's not a total parking lot like some RV parks and he smaller spots are even a bit nicer.

bjrogers86auto Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:35 am

I wouldn't recommend Darien Lake. We went there for Dave Matthews a few years back. It's a zoo. Exactly what one would expect at a theme park.

We toured the American side of the falls which was a first for me. We enjoyed the walk around the park. We did notice one thing though...it was a rainy day so we had our rain gear on. There were hundreds of people there besides us all with the blue and yellow "garbage bags" they sell at the gift shop for a couple bucks. Just seemed funny no one had there own...

Enjoy, Brian.

DAIZEE Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:24 am

If you take the boat ride and/or the walk under the falls you get them free! Both excellent experiences on Cdn side.

Ooops the blue or yellow bags I mean. The boat ride is THE BEST experience where you almost experience the power of the Falls. I'd do it again.

bjrogers86auto Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:19 am

Ahhh.....that explains that.

Everyday is a school day, sad day when you don't learn something.

Brian.

danfromsyr Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:44 am

Indeed the park on the American side w/3 sisters islands is nice, you can get dangerously close to the top of the falls where the current is intense.
went there once in the wintertime and walked out on the ice sheet overthe river a bit, once the realization set in, scampered back to solid ground.. just be watchful of where you wander esp w/ kids & dogs.
on the canadian side, the boat ride is 'in your face'
at night the lights on the falls & the view from the observation deck on the revolving tower are nice.

Dan in NY

DAIZEE Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:41 am

Camp in both countries. Both are worth it. Cdn $$ at par right now so both sides should have same prices, altho I do think that Americans tend to offer more deals than Cdns.

Gauche1968 Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:41 pm

Simba'sWestyWings wrote: Camp in both countries. Both are worth it. Cdn $$ at par right now so both sides should have same prices, altho I do think that Americans tend to offer more deals than Cdns.

Just remember that you need a passport to get back into the U.S. these days. Oh, and Canadian prices didn't drop just because the two currencies are at par. A heck of a deal for Canadians going south, but so much the other way around.

DAIZEE Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:50 pm

Hey you need a passport if you are just going into the States for a drink! Ticked me off for sure but I can imagine the shock of US citizens when they try to return to their own country after coming over here for a drink!!!

You are right about the prices in Cda of course. Our prices NEVER go down!!!!