TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Hey Syncro owners a question , , , compare at 8"
240Gordy Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:42 pm

spring height that is! H&Rs after a couple years service.

does anybody know how high the syncro spring perch is above the lower control arm, and how long the tube part of the syncro shock is?

FNGRUVN Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:24 pm

The top of that spring looks like it has collapsed. What's the story here. Has the van really settled in two years. I was going to order these springs, but not if they do this in two years.

I know they're progressive type springs, but that doesn't look right.

240Gordy Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:32 pm

they are supposed to do that. it is like a helper spring, it keeps it from falling out, but gives you the lowering results you want, and a firm ride for the twistys. No they didn't settle, they are like that as soon as you put them in.

Nobody wants to crawl into the wheel well with a tape measure huh? anybody have a old syncro front shock under the workbench?

FNGRUVN Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:40 pm

OK. I'm confused. You asked about syncros and now you're talking about "lowering" springs. I assumed you were talking about the H&R syncro springs that GoWesty sells.

theadventureneverends Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:44 pm

Aloha

I have my stock 91 Syncro Westfalia springs under the workbench. Do you need a measurement? I have H&R Go Westy springs on it now. I am not sure what you are looking for.

John

squeegee_boy Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:01 am

240Gordy wrote: they are supposed to do that. it is like a helper spring, it keeps it from falling out, but gives you the lowering results you want, and a firm ride for the twistys. No they didn't settle, they are like that as soon as you put them in.

Nobody wants to crawl into the wheel well with a tape measure huh? anybody have a old syncro front shock under the workbench?

Will OME Syncro shock dimensions do? If so I can get them tonight. I tossed my leaking stock ones, unfortunately :(

Alaric.H Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:05 am

Hey 2 years is not bad the last H&R I had settled in 2 day making the undriveable. They were lowering springs

240Gordy Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:00 am

squeegee_boy wrote: 240Gordy wrote: they are supposed to do that. it is like a helper spring, it keeps it from falling out, but gives you the lowering results you want, and a firm ride for the twistys. No they didn't settle, they are like that as soon as you put them in.

Will OME Syncro shock dimensions do? If so I can get them tonight. I tossed my leaking stock ones, unfortunately :(

YES! what did you do with the Stock old leaking units? I just need to know the length from the lower mounting bolt eye to the spring perch, and then the compressed length of the shock.

Oh, I read your post again, how much different are the OME shocks? Is the perch higher, shock body longer?

Orbitald Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:20 pm

Here is a photo of my 3rd old Small Car front springs. The rears have sagged substantially but the fronts are ever buoyant.

Note that this measurement (9 1/2 - 9 3/4) is from the bottom of the lowest spring coil.

squeegee_boy Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:17 pm

240Gordy wrote:

YES! what did you do with the Stock old leaking units? I just need to know the length from the lower mounting bolt eye to the spring perch, and then the compressed length of the shock.

Oh, I read your post again, how much different are the OME shocks? Is the perch higher, shock body longer?

I don't know the difference between the original shocks and the Old Man Emu units; the originals are long since in the trash.

The OME shocks are 6" exactly from the lower bolt to the perch, and ~8" from the perch to the top of the shock. It was really hard to get a ruler in there, so the 8" may be off by 1/2" or so.

Robyn

240Gordy Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:12 pm

thanks very much guys for that info and the photo. it helps a lot.