TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Why busses? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Spezialist Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:44 pm

I've been into vee dubs along time, since 1979.
And the market climbs and falls with most types.
Why do early type 2 vehicle just continue to be the craze?
When all other dubs seem to hit a plateu?
I remember back in the day when you would have never seen a bus in a magazine.
Was it S.O.T.O ?
Your opinons? About why?

DraginInk Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:47 pm

Because they're bitchen. Next thread.

YOUBUGME2 Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:49 pm

I blame the Barrett Jackson auctions. lol This has been talked about a few times though.

turkis-deluxe Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:53 pm

Because of the internet, because of them hippie bastards, and because of everything else in life that appreciates in time. Probably not SOTO though........

sventinker Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:57 pm

I was really into bugs before but they are just too damn small. I have always wanted a notch or a fastback but buses seem easier to find and parts are more abundent. And name another Volkswagen you can seat nine in?

Busryder Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:00 pm

turkis-deluxe wrote: Because of the internet, because of them hippie bastards, and because of everything else in life that appreciates in time. Probably not SOTO though........

Hey man... I resemble that remark. 8) :lol: 8) :lol:

S.O.T.O. : Society Of Transporter Owners

Braukuche Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:00 pm

Splits are more iconic. They keep popping up in the popular culture in ads and movies to the point that every little kid out there can point out a bus. Their design has ageless appeal and therefore creates a huge market and the supply isn't as high as bugs.

turkis-deluxe Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:01 pm

sventinker wrote: I was really into bugs before but they are just too damn small. I have always wanted a notch or a fastback but buses seem easier to find and parts are more abundent. And with mine name another Volkswagen you can seat nine in?

I highly doubt split bus parts are more abundant and easier to find than bug parts.

Busryder Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:04 pm

turkis-deluxe wrote: sventinker wrote: I was really into bugs before but they are just too damn small. I have always wanted a notch or a fastback but buses seem easier to find and parts are more abundent. And with mine name another Volkswagen you can seat nine in?

I highly doubt split bus parts are more abundant and easier to find than bug parts.

Unless you happen to be a couple of monkeys picking each other over for snack... mmmm bugs, I hear the Hippies had them too.

turkis-deluxe Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:38 pm

Busryder wrote: turkis-deluxe wrote: sventinker wrote: I was really into bugs before but they are just too damn small. I have always wanted a notch or a fastback but buses seem easier to find and parts are more abundent. And with mine name another Volkswagen you can seat nine in?

Unless you happen to be a couple of monkeys picking each other over for snack... mmmm bugs, I hear the Hippies had them too.

That easier to find was part of the highly doubt comment!! No monkeys for me though...

Busryder Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:40 pm

Unlike some, I can recognize sarcasm....

Z Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:51 pm

I had beetles first, too, but quickly moved to busses. For a long time, back when the other a/c vw's were predominant, I always wondered why busses weren't more popular.

I think that while trendiness/bandwagon elements are part of it, the root of it is that they still possess the quality that made them popular in the first place: utility.

As someone said above, what other VW (or any old car) can you fit that many people, or that much stuff into?

turkis-deluxe Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:52 pm

Busryder wrote: Unlike some, I can recognize sarcasm....

I know, I'm kinda dense sometime...especially after a few friday afternoon beers!!!

Dave24 Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:55 pm

Perhaps people are tired of looking at Infinilextoyohondacurhyundkiamitsumaznissans?

widehatch Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:34 pm

drive a splitty bus and you'll know why.

i had a bug all through high school and my my first bus (66 westy) my senior year (1995) and just fell in love. i've always has a split since. they look good even if they're restored or some POS you just drug out of a field. easy to work on. once you pull the engine out of a split you'll never want to pull the engine out of a bug again.you don't even need to jack it up. buses are awsome

Soul Built Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:53 pm

I have owned LOTS of Volkswagens but "The Bus" is on a different level. I have a Oval-Rag and 63 Notch but the Bus is here to stay.

As mentioned above, very iconic, tons of style, and a look all its own. My family has taken a liking to it as well because it is large enough to fit all five of us.

Lind Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:02 pm

buses suck. they are lame. they are slow and ugly. so would you all please quit buying them....

actually its simply supply and demand. the supply has always been low relative to beetles, and with the internet, pop culture and their incredible functionality, demand has spiked. mix in a boom in available cash with the housing bubble, and the long under appreciated bus saw prices appreciate really fast.

anyone who has tried to fit the whole family into a beetle for a road trip can appreciate the size of a bus. the people-friendliness of them has a big influence on price and saleability. just look at how panelvans and singlecabs don't sell nearly as quickly or for as much money as any other model in equivalent condition.

the hippies have little influence on them, and never really have had much. many many more hippies drove chevy and dodge vans than VWs.

p.s. the currently hugely undervalued model of VW is the karmann ghia.

ryanrcs Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:15 pm

LIND rules! That post is so true. You just put a smile on my face this evening.

Mikee Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:17 pm

Lind wrote:

I thought it was the 412!!!

cdennisg Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:59 pm

Lind wrote:

anyone who has tried to fit the whole family into a beetle for a road trip can appreciate the size of a bus.

If you can't fit your family into a beetle, and that seems to be a major reason for the popularity of buses, I don't see Karmann Ghia's being much different in that respect. I don't pay much attention to that market, but I can understand that they may not have hit their "peak" in terms of value.