TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Why busses? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Busryder Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:04 pm

:? Ever try to "get busy" in the back of a bug? :roll:

That's why the first born Male will get the bus, and the subsequent Female siblings will either end up in an early vert or a single cab.... this is NON-negotiable. "If you don't like it... get a job and buy your own damn car at 16 years old", guess what happens.

In all reality... I learned to drive in a bus, (a 71'), that my Father left me at yrs-old, and that just about does it for me as to the "Why Buses?" question. OTB vehicles that I've owned total three. I had a 68 beetle for a few hours (traded for a 62 panel the same day), I had a 58 beetle for three months that I traded for paint and body on the boy's 65 standard, and I drove an 86 Subi for a second vehicle for two years until it took a dump... the only ones that I cared enough about to keep road worthy have been the buses that I've owned over the years...

I guess that it just all chalks up to a personal preference... you're either a bus aficionado or you're not.... it's that simple.

sventinker Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:01 pm

crofty wrote: Lind wrote:

p.s. the currently hugely undervalued model of VW is the karmann ghia.

Untill women's salaries get closer to that of a man's I doubt that market will see any substantial gains.

WOW crofty! thanks for that laugh but seriously, WOW I guess your sig line says it all lmfao

zao Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:24 pm

They have more mass appeal. Many people see bugs and can't tell the year differences. Heck, many people I know look at a fatchick and can't tell the difference between an early and late model, unless they are parked side by side. To most people a bug is a bug. But buses always seem to get stares and questions raised.
It never seems to fail, every time I am out in my bus I get at least one person asking about it. Never had that in my bugs over the years. Add to that the safari windows seem to really draw the attention. I believe that is one of the icons of the bus. Everyone who knows I have a bus asks if it has "those windows that open in front... they are so cool!"
Plus you have the older generation who used to take vacations in their bus and they like to reminisce of the good ol' days.

Other than here on Samba, buses are getting very hard to find, especially early buses. Since many people don't see them driving around too often, thy are drawn to them.

They are awesome cars, plain and simple.

crukab Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:48 pm

For me it was the best choice, after a '69 Dodge Charger, a '74 Lemans GT and a '73 Opel Gt, I bought a '59 Singlecab, most useful vehicle I've owned, following that w/ a '63 Doublecab, Thirty years later I still own VW Trucks & Buses.

FranksMarket Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:44 pm

:lol: 69 charger??? " just some good ole boys, never doin no wrong"!!

volkswagenut Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:54 pm

FranksMarket wrote: :lol: 69 charger??? " just some good ole boys, never doin no wrong"!!

If your gonna quote a song ...... please get the words right.

" just the good old boys , never meaning no harm." :D

Kelly Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:16 pm

..because they're cooler than bugs, ghias, squarebacks, fastbacks, things, 412's and anything else VW.

brettsvw Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:25 am

the hippies have little influence on them, and never really have had much. many many more hippies drove chevy and dodge vans than VWs.

p.s. the currently hugely undervalued model of VW is the karmann ghia.[/quote]

KG is true outstanding workmanship.

crukab Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:55 am

FranksMarket wrote: :lol: 69 charger???

Yea Baby !! 383 w/ 400 heads, 4 bbl, cam, 727 trans, that sucker rocked !
Here's a shot of it w/ my 1st Vw in Colorado :

I sold it because gas went over $1.00/gal. and it was rotted to Shit :evil:

Clara Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:20 am

Busryder wrote: :? Ever try to "get busy" in the back of a bug? :roll:

That's why the first born Male will get the bus, and the subsequent Female siblings will either end up in an early vert or a single cab.... this is NON-negotiable. "If you don't like it... get a job and buy your own damn car at 16 years old", guess what happens.

My parents didn't buy my older brother or me a car. There was absolutely no indication at any time that there was even the slightest possibilty of us being bought cars.
I got a job at 16 and bought my first car, a '73 westy.
Dad did give me a tool box of tools to fix it. :P

Later, my Dad bought my 12 years younger step-sister a brand new car.
:roll:

marklaken Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:22 am

why buses?
Because they get noticed.

Nor_AL_67 Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:34 am

marklaken wrote: why buses?

True, can't drive 5 minutes w/o someone waving at me/peace signing me/ asking if I want to sell, etc.. gets old sometimes, but mostly fun; I guess I like to be a little different.

crofty Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:40 am

Spezialist wrote: I've been into vee dubs along time, since 1979.
And the market climbs and falls with most types.
Why do early type 2 vehicle just continue to be the craze?
When all other dubs seem to hit a plateu?
I remember back in the day when you would have never seen a bus in a magazine.
Was it S.O.T.O ?
Your opinons? About why?

You ain't gonna find a $2500 chandalier from no Bug!

joescoolcustoms Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:41 am

I own a '59 SC, but to me it is not a bus, it is VW's truck. I do not care for a bus. I like the beetle, the notch and the fastback. I like racing so it makes since to have a smaller car to run faster and handel better.

My SC will be used for off-roading and mild hauling. My dad had a '62 walk-through when I was born. My mom put me in a cardboard box between the front seats and the other 4 kids in the rear. He traded it in for a Pontiac stationwagen in '65.

Busryder Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:51 am

Clara wrote: Busryder wrote: :? Ever try to "get busy" in the back of a bug? :roll:

My parents didn't buy my older brother or me a car. There was absolutely no indication at any time that there was even the slightest possibilty of us being bought cars.
I got a job at 16 and bought my first car, a '73 westy.
Dad did give me a tool box of tools to fix it. :P

Hi Clara.

I will never buy a new car... neither for myself, my ol' lady, nor any of my children, period. (Well maybe if I get through grad-school the ol' lady will end up with a Benz, but that's it.) It is a waste of money, in my mind. At this point in time, it is simply unfeasible.

When my Dad left me the 71' at 14, he didn't have a tool box. And I was never taught anything about it. That is not the case today, all three of my kids have motor experience under their belts. My daughters, (7 and 9), have worked on either side of it together on multiple occasions. Disassemble and then re-assemble. The tools that I leave them cannot be kept in a box Clara...

On the other hand.... I'm sure that all of the tools that my son, (13), has he pillaged from my box. :roll:

I guess that I am just an overprotective father Clara, not that I don't trust my girls enough to put them up in a bus.... it's just tougher growing up these days. And a plastic cookie-cutter concept car will do them absolutely no good when they are at school developing psyches at 16. The type II's offer the individuality that every teenager longs for during their social and personal developments at those crucial times. That's what happed with me at 16, and I still drive my bus... till the wheels fall off, M/F'er!

Sorry, long post :oops: .

SkooobaSteve Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:02 am

Nor_AL_67 wrote: marklaken wrote: why buses?

True, can't drive 5 minutes w/o someone waving at me/peace signing me/ asking if I want to sell, etc.. gets old sometimes, but mostly fun; I guess I like to be a little different.

I always just came up with a crazy number if someone was willing to pay me the number I came up with then yeah I would sell it.

SurfCityRacing Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:04 am

Clara wrote:

Clara, That exact thing happened to me.

I got into buses in the '80s for three main reasons.

1) They were cheap and available.
I bought my first splittie for $125. It had 3 spare engines and an extra tranny. Every window was shot out and it had bullet holes all over the front end. I pumped up the tires, changed the gas, gave it a tune up and drove it out of the field. It was a car that I bought with money from mowing lawns when I was 14. Took my senior portrait with that sucker. Gave it a name.

2) It was big enough to haul surfboards and camp in.
I drove that thing to Mexico, Central America, and up the west coast so many times I can't even count.

3) Parts are available and cheap.
Well maybe not pristine, rare NOS stuff anymore, but if you're stranded on a dirt road in baja somewhere, chances are that there's the part you need somewhat close by. Or...a repair can be made on the spot with found objects. I've only been utterly stranded without the possibility of self rescue once.

And here it is 25 years later, a few buses down the line, and I'm still driving these old things. Going camping next week in fact.

infantibus Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:35 am

I love busses strictly for the reason that VW created them. They are functional,utilitarian, and what other veheicle can you mave all that stuff/people with a low amount of power. From a creative minds standpoint imo the transporter is a true work of engineering greatness. 8)

hugheseum Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:50 am

parents are doing you a favor by not buying you a new car or making you earn your own,buying a kid a car will certainly leave a lasting impression......and by lasting i mean that will be one of the reasons the kid cant ever stand on his/her own 2 feet and be living with mommy well after the age of 18

SkooobaSteve Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:56 am

hugheseum wrote: parents are doing you a favor by not buying you a new car or making you earn your own,buying a kid a car will certainly leave a lasting impression......and by lasting i mean that will be one of the reasons the kid cant ever stand on his/her own 2 feet and be living with mommy well after the age of 18

Bingo I worked all summer, paid for half of the car (84 S10 blazer 2.8 pos) year later when when engine went bad they co-signed for a loan to get the parts to fix it. Always paid for my own insurance and cell bill. Got to start them off early teaching them how to pay for what they have. Great lesson they taught me in my opinion. Got my first house at 22.