TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: L472 Beige Grey
DB Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:57 pm

Need some help regarding Beige Grey before I paint my 23.

Is it really a "dirty looking" light grey color -- more greyish then white-ish? I thought it was closer to a white color with a slight grey tint. I got some spray outs from the painter before I paint my bus, but I was surprised at how grey it is. I used the PPG formulas and paint because nobody sprays Glasurit out here in Western New York. Does anybody know if there is anything wrong with the PPG formulas, and can anybody confirm if Beige Grey is more grey then off white -- that would be a big help? If I put the paint chip up to my '66 bus (Titian Red / Beige Grey) the two Beige Greys are really different, but maybe my '66 is to white and incorrect.:?

Some final (purist) obsessions, and I have nothing to compare it to that is accurate in color - maybe some hinges that have original paint.

Thanks for any help or input! DB
8)

Mr. Twisted Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:43 pm

I just did this same color scheme on my '67, it's original color. I used the PPG Acrylic Urethane, and the color matched the og dash very close. It is a dirty beige, I think the color decribes it pretty well. Are you doing a base, clear? I know sometimes the base looks off match until you hit the clear coat. I was very happy with the Acrylic Urethane. Check it out on vintagebus.com, do a search for dirk, and you can look at the various stages of the paint job.

jazzed Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:55 pm

The color chips usually don't do the colors justice. The beige gray in combination with Titian Red looks pretty beige to me. I'm completely happy with my color combos, but if I would have just been looking at chips rather than pictures of other buses in the same colors, I doubt if I would have picked that combination.

DB Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:03 pm

Jazzed and Idmooth,

Thanks for the input! Regarding paint, I am going to use the single stage (no clear) urethane. I think vintage buses look better in single stage, the clear coat adds to much paint "depth" and gloss for an accurate restoration - my opinion. I guess who ever painted my 21 window did not use Beige Grey it is obviously to white. I'll post some picture when it is painted could be a little while for the outside, right now I am just painting the inside, and underside. I think the painters already think I am super anal and they do restoration work daily. I just want it accurate because it is costing a lot of lettuce and I only want to do this once.

Thanks once more! DB

Benfalia Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:50 pm

I have actual Glasurit L472 beige-grey paint, and yeah...there is nothing white about it. I was surprised myself. Haven't actually sprayed it yet, but have sprayed the Sealing Wax Red. Looks great once it's on...unbelievable paint.

I've been planning on painting the interior with the beige-grey as well, too. Anyone know if that's what was done stock?

Thanks, and good luck!

jazzed Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:19 pm

It's my impression that the interior was done in beige gray; at least that's what most pics looked like and when I did my Titian Red/BG, I used BG on the interior and it looks great. I also went with a single stage and am happy with it, but be gentle with it until it cures up. In this weather in OR, it shouldn't take long, but if you do it in the winter, it could take weeks.

sbpwave Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:32 pm

The color chips can deceive. the colors are often appear lighter on a big car surface than on a dinky paint chip. Beige gray on the old original color chips looks real grey and dark. San Leandro Color in San leandro CA will mix old VW colors in a spray can for about 15-20 bucks a can. I ordered/bought a can of beige grey and sprayed an area of my bus before I painted it just to see and it is a lot nicer on a bus than on a sample. It , like a lot of VW colors, changes its look if it is sunny or cloudy. It's a warmer beige in the sun a more grey on a grey day. It's best to go to some shows and see a few with that color. Another example is pearl white which in the sun is a creamy beige, inthe shade becomes a greybeige to greenish beige and shows a strong greenish hue in some kinds of light. Others that do that change thing include panamabeige, anthracite, baltic blue, mouse grey, seagull grey, sand green,palm green, and more. Have fun with it.

6t3bird Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:26 am

Hey everyone, I'm having the same problem... Getting ready to Order the paint for my bus but the "beige grey" I've seen on some restored buses looks so much darker than what my bus looked like... Anyone have any problems using the ppg paint code? Any chance the " beige grey" lighten up over the years? Mine looked more of a off white or a dirty white. Especially the parts behind the panels that the sun never saw.