TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Eepco heads... ?
Mitey62 Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:59 pm

Bought a cheap 1600 dp a week or so ago to throw in the bug, supposedly running a few months ago. I tore it down, and the heads say "Eepco 113.311.375cx". Who knows something about these heads? The internet doesn't want to tell me much at all. I ask because I've got a set of VW heads that read "043.101.375k (or maybe x?) and then VW 141". Is there any reason to run one set over the other? The Eepco heads look like they're in great shape, very clean. The VW heads are oily of course, but look to be in decent shape too.

Any thoughts?

keifernet Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:04 pm

The EEPCO heads were an aftermarket replacement head from back in * AFAIK and remember) back in the late 70's and early 80's or so. I can't recall the origin but given the time frame they may well have been Japanese in origin though I am not 100 percent sure. I have had a few pairs through my hands over the years and they seemed no better or worse than any others at the time.

sharkskinman Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:25 pm

odd that this post wasnt that many days ago

I looked at mine and found the same thing
113.311.375cx Eepco
on a 71' Fastback

crazy...

this is all i found...
..from Gex website?...
Quote: 1600 cc, 72-73, Dual port, left side, fuel injected, with sensor, crank case vent pipe,

and one that mentions Porting the intakes
http://www.cal-look.com/forum/cal-look-high-performance/usa-heads/?wap2

Mitey62 Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:22 pm

The motor I picked up with these heads I thought was a 1600 and turned out to be a 1914. Score huh? They appear to be big valve heads, but when I clean them up tonight and take my valves out I'll measure to be sure. Thanks for the link too.

Teeroy Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:57 pm

I ended up with one on a DP I tore down today, it has cast made in the USA in the rocker area.

thesatelliteguy Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:32 pm

I have a pair of these. According to Tom Wilson author of "how to rebuild a air cooled vw engine" they are crap. Very porus metal.

I found two cracks in one of the cylinders going from the spark plug hole to both valves. :shock:

Time for new heads.

I do think i remember Tom saying that they have extra material around the intake ports for porting.

joshuabiles Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:53 pm

I just found out my 1600 dp has these same heads in them , a couple more in the world they look very clean an nice as well.

Donnie strickland Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:01 pm

My car has an Eepco head on the 3-4 side. I can't tell a whole lot about it with installed, but what I can see looks to be well made. I found it interesting that they made Type 3 fuel injection heads as well, with the threaded boss for the cylinder head temp sensor.

raul arrese Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:13 pm

I ran a set with bigger valves like in 1985 , they worked good then ..

Mitey62 Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:34 pm

While I haven't put many miles on this engine since I built it (so I can't comment on longevity) they're running great on my rig. I've got them on an 1835 with a fresh top and bottom end. I went over them before installing them (valves lapped, new springs etc).

What's more? I'm running these "poor quality" heads with an 009 and a Weber progressive. All the things that don't work for people. A few months ago I started it for the first time in almost 6 months (a recent move has kept me from driving lately). It started and idled immedietly.

Starts easy, runs smooth and pulls hard.

An older shot of the then-newly-assembled rig. Test run without the hood... and don't worry, the stinger only lasted about 10 minutes before I tossed it in the scrap pile :)