TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My solution to the discontinued charcoal canister
maximan1 Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:21 pm

As many know, charcoal canisters for late busses (part no. 171201801A) are not made aftermarket and you either have to live with the one you have, or cut it open, re-fill it with new charcoal, and close it back up. I chose to open and refill mine first, but when I finished I found this neat little stainless steel water bottle. So I planned it out, got everything ready and my dad brazed it all together.

My new, easily refill-able, fancy lookin', stainless steel charcoal canister :)

I'll have a pic of it installed tomorrow. Also, I won't be needing my old one if anyone wants it.

vwdriverfoundvw Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:48 pm

Great idea, and beautiful execution. I used an old metal tennis ball can that I found. Not quite as elegant as yours but does the job well.

skid Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:56 pm

Now that's using you're noggin! Seriously, that's a great idea.

SGKent Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:02 pm

great job. Ours (1977) had a gasoline tolerant foam filter at the inlet end. I am sure that yours cost less than a new one and it looks nice too.

New ones were available last time I checked, (78 & 79 style)
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=175201801A

maximan1 Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:59 pm

Thanks everybody. I hope it will hold up for a nice long time.

SGKent wrote: New ones were available last time I checked, (78 & 79 style)
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=175201801A

Back when I first pulled my canister, I looked up the part number and I found it was discontinued. Did they just recently start making them?

Bookwus Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:29 pm

Hiya Max,

A 175 emissions canister is a superceeded model. It will function exactly as your original but may (probably) not be of the same dimensions. By the way, you might want to copy down the full number and check out your local Volkswagen dealer's parts counter. The 175 emissions canister is still in the VW inventory. Your local dealer may have a better price. He will likely have to order it from a regional warehouse. Expect that to take a couple of days.

Here's a picture of three of the emission canister models............

The 175 is on the right.

maximan1 Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:01 pm

Right, I realize that mine may not be the same size but it works quite nicely. I know that they apparently do make new canisters, but seeing as I've already made my own...

maximan1 Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:27 pm

Didn't want to start a new thread, but here is my solution to the vacuum tee that connects the plenum, brake booster, and decel valve (part #022 133 083D). That little piece of plastic is $35...I decided that there was a better way. My dad helped me out with the brazing again, but here is my solution.

My old one was split down the sides, making another pesky vacuum leak.

Max

Riguy718 Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:45 pm

Hey what type of charcoal did you use Max, just regular bbq charcoal? :lol:

maximan1 Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:48 pm

Riguy718 wrote: Hey what type of charcoal did you use Max, just regular bbq charcoal? :lol:

Give it a break. The stuff they sell you in the pet stores for fish aquarium charcoal filters. There are several write ups on the samba.