TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How to Install Fram external Oil Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
djway3474 Sun May 31, 2015 1:45 pm

I think it is Flat Four that makes the replicas although I don't know if they have the Ghia bracket.

DONGKG Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:11 am

DONGKG wrote: rtroy wrote: zundapp wrote: skyto wrote: Those with a 40hp installation, please post pictures. What's the best looking option for the return line hollow bolt? A fuel pump or generator pedestal stud? Or drill & tap a hole somewhere?

Distributor clamp is not an option, that's a blind hole in a 40hp case.

I did the drill and tap into the genny stand. There is a rounded area cast into it for some reason. It was the perfect size for the hollow bolt to thread into.

This setup came with an Okrasa oil cooler but I eliminated it because it's just a bad idea. It warms the air that is supposed to cool the motor but I doubt it did much to cool the oil. Preheating air that then is supposed to cool oil in the factory oil cooler seams counter-productive to me. :?

Firstly, with this setup, you can eliminate the bolt and thread the 90 degree piece straight into the generator stand - more or less exactly as Porsche did on its early engines.

And secondly, the oil cooler in front of the fan intake can be seen from an engineering point of view as nothing more than increasing the area of the existing oil cooler. There is extra capacity for it - it's not such a bad idea after all.

Regards,
Richard

I did this set up on my vw too.

I did this one, but my experience is that if the either the oil filler cup or the inlet connected to the air cleaner is not property sealed, chances are, the pressure doing from the engine will push the oil emanating from the small hole drilled through the base of the generator stand. and oil will be spilled out! So, checking regularly the oil filler cover and the inlet from the air clearer will keep the oil from spilling out.

jdub63 Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:36 pm

Has anyone ever posted the actual dimensions of the oil lines? Anyone know if the 356 lines will be long enough to work on a filter installed on the fan shroud?

Brian Anthony Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:33 pm

DONGKG wrote:
I did this one, but my experience is that if the either the oil filler cup or the inlet connected to the air cleaner is not property sealed, chances are, the pressure doing from the engine will push the oil emanating from the small hole drilled through the base of the generator stand. and oil will be spilled out! So, checking regularly the oil filler cover and the inlet from the air clearer will keep the oil from spilling out.

I did this also but I tapped the inside of the through hole in the generator stand 1/8 NPT and installed a 1/8 NPT 90 street elbow and a short piece of 1/8 pipe to get the oil return below the baffle. I had to cut down the 1/8 NPT tap to get it to fit inside the generator stand. I cut a small hole in the baffle for the 1/8 pipe to go through. With the oil being returned below the baffle and being shot straight down into the engine, I haven't seen any problem with oil in the breather tube to the air cleaner.

Braukuche Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:13 pm

jdub63 wrote: Has anyone ever posted the actual dimensions of the oil lines? Anyone know if the 356 lines will be long enough to work on a filter installed on the fan shroud?

No, the limes are too short.
On the return line on both my cars I used a hollow Distributer stud. It's been so long I forget where I got it from.

56samba Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:38 am

Braukuche wrote: jdub63 wrote: Has anyone ever posted the actual dimensions of the oil lines? Anyone know if the 356 lines will be long enough to work on a filter installed on the fan shroud?

No, the limes are too short.
On the return line on both my cars I used a hollow Distributer stud. It's been so long I forget where I got it from.

Hi,
you can produce them on your own, my first attempt was very good. You need a M8 allen screw. First step is to drill a hole in it from the top to the bottom, so it's hollow. Then you have to drill a bigger hole in the head of the screw, but not too deep!!! This hole is for the thread; in the head of your hollow screw you have to cut a M10x 1.25 thread. I'm no really sure about this thead, I'm going to have a look for it to be sure. The last thing you have to do is to screw in another hollow screw with threads on both of its side, on side has M10x1.25, the other thread is in inch, same threat size as the threat on your oil filter can...

better you see the pictures :D
The nut is for holding the dizzy, the copper gaskets rings were made of pennies :lol:

I don't know how Mr. Gerhard Oettinger did connected the Fram filter with his engine, but this method is quick and you don't have to drill in your engine case.
Regards, Jan

jdub63 Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:56 pm

I wanted to add this picture from the gallery for future reference...

grailoc Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:47 am

Hi everyone,

I am reopening that thread,

I have a NOS FRAM OIL Filter and Hose and looking for the studs adapters to go in and out of the 36hp engine.

Does anyone know where either find following hose kit or just the studs that connect on the engine?

grailoc Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:50 am

Here is a pic of the kit I have right now.
As you can see I am missing the stud to connect on the 36hp case.

Any help to source the right studs or hose kit as pictured above would be great

thanks,
Jerome

jjjjack Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:12 am

Hi Jerome,

Not exactly sure what parts you need, but I got an F3-P to replace an incorrect filter on my PreA and will be replacing the lines while I'm at it. These guys might have what you need:

http://www.partsklassik.com/c-29-engine-lubrication.aspx

HTH,

Joshua B Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:51 pm

Does anyone have a picture of what their restrictor looks like in the 90 degree inlet fitting? How large is the opening? Mine doesn't have it so I need to figure it out. Does anyone just sell the fitting?

59VWBUG Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:39 pm

Joshua B wrote: Does anyone have a picture of what their restrictor looks like in the 90 degree inlet fitting? How large is the opening? Mine doesn't have it so I need to figure it out. Does anyone just sell the fitting?

I am going to put the restrictor at the 'street tee' at the oil pressure switch.

This what I am using:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brass-Turbo-Oil-Feed-Rest...2749.l2649

More Oil (feed,flow) restrictors on eBAY:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=oil+%28flow%...p;_sacat=0

HTH

Bob

Braukuche Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:14 pm

grailoc wrote: Hi everyone,

I am reopening that thread,

I have a NOS FRAM OIL Filter and Hose and looking for the studs adapters to go in and out of the 36hp engine.

Does anyone know where either find following hose kit or just the studs that connect on the engine?

Got mine from Michael Bucchino in MA.

grailoc Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:55 pm

yep bought it from him too

mkbug Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:14 pm

jdub63 wrote: I wanted to add this picture from the gallery for future reference...

Is there a better template on where to drill the shroud then this?

Looks like 120 mm from the center line of the generator to the left. And 50 mm from the top of the shroud to the top of the canister's bolt. But what if the brack has been moved on the canister?

Hate to hit the cooler or the directional vanes in the shroud.

Thanks Martin

jorgeschmidt Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:37 pm

62ItalianRagtop wrote: I'm working on my dual carbs 40hp and I want to install my Fram oil filter.
I have seen this installation kit

and this one

The second one with oil cooler is better ?

Hello, someone know where I can Buy this oil cooler?

John Moxon Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:32 am

jorgeschmidt wrote:

The second one with oil cooler is better ?

Hello, someone know where I can Buy this oil cooler?

Mike makes these: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1979669

motofly196 Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:45 pm

Some top quality lines and fittings from Mike! Cohine lines that match the early lines perfectly.

evanfrucht Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:42 pm

I need one of the oil sender/filter fittings like the one pictured above in the top left corner. And also the last page near the top was a picture of a broken one...

Who makes them, who has them, or how can I get one. I'm trying to get a hold of one ASAP.

5500 Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:22 pm

evanfrucht wrote: I need one of the oil sender/filter fittings like the one pictured above in the top left corner. And also the last page near the top was a picture of a broken one...

Who makes them, who has them, or how can I get one. I'm trying to get a hold of one ASAP.

vwmike333 on the Samba makes the lines and sells kits with fittings and lines. I suspect if you reach out to him he may sell you the fitting you are looking for. Search for okrasa style fram oil filter hoses and fittings.