TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Where else to look?
boardshorts Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:34 am

I've been looking for another Vanagon ever since mine was wrecked in an accident. It was an 88 Westy. I want another 87 to 91 Camper or Weekender. Are there other listings to look thru?. I live in the Northeast(NY). Everyday I check TheSamba, Ebay, Cars.com, Autotrader and Craigslist. Most of the time I go thru most of the states on Craigslist.
I'm willing to travel most anywhere, although I am NOT one of those people who'll pay a gazillion dollars to GoWesty. My last Van cost me $6K from right here on TheSamba. I have cash from a Porsche 911 I sold, so I'm ready. Anyone know of other listings to be searching thru?

hiram6 Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:37 am

Use one of the Craigslist "helper" sites like the link below to cast a wider net on CL without having to search individual CL sites.

www.searchtempest.com

boardshorts Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:04 am

Wow, that searchtempest site is pretty cool. I never saw anything like it. Once you get the knack of narrowing down what you're looking for it works really well. Thanks for the tip.

PDXWesty Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:06 am

There's always quite a few for sale in the NW. Just about as far away as you can get though. I know there are plenty of locals here that would take a look for you. Shipping would be about $800-$1000 though.

hiram6 Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:16 am

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/1645541734.html

89 Full Camper for $6000, 160K miles is the drawback, but a candidate for a tencent engine or a conversion. Closer than the NW, but still not next door.

Probably someone on here in Chattanooga who could give it a look for you.