TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Split-window conversion
62dcw Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:20 am

I have a 62' bug. Has anyone done a split-window conversion on these cars and how do you go about doing it? I heard there was a kit out there for these?

Joey Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:40 am

Don't do it!

You don't want pics of your car in this thread do ya?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149769

outoftheoffice Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:39 pm

shano should be along shortly to impart some wisdom on this subject..

shano63 Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:09 pm

First off it's your car and you should do with it what you want. That being said, I did this to my 63 and holy crap did I take some heat. It turns out this is the ultimate VW sin. Personally I like it, earlier tail lights would help though. Here is a pic...

Like I said it's your car, have fun with it.

Joey Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:45 am

Shano63 is correct - it's your car so if you really want a rear split window than go for it. Get a 'W' deck lid and earlier tail lights too.

Shano63's bug is so well known now the rear split window no longer looks out of place.

veedubfreak59 Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:22 am

Joey wrote: Shano63 is correct - it's your car so if you really want a rear split window than go for it. Get a 'W' deck lid and earlier tail lights too.

Shano63's bug is so well known now the rear split window no longer looks out of place.

Thats what i was going to ask. Why go through all of the effort to put in a split window but not get a W decklid and correct tails?

shano63 Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:16 pm

When I did this I had no idea how frowned upon this was. I found that deck lid on eBay way before the split and I paid way to much for it not to use it. I have no excuse for the tail lights except..laziness? Think of it as an upgraded split? No? I didn't think so.. What can I tell ya, good or bad you will all know it's me at the next show. Stop by and snicker if you want.. :D

58Dub Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:29 pm

when done right...I think it looks great

Shano, I like the looks of yours. =D>

hitest Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:05 pm

I say slap on an Alligator shirt, spray on some Polo aftershave- bust out the 1984 VW Trends Bugorama issue- then chop in the split window...

Sambaland agrees- Shano pulls the look quite well. It starts and ends there however...

shano63 Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:09 pm

One last thing, if you ask me if I would do it again I would say no. Not because I cut my car or the comment's, it just wasn't worth all the extra work. Here is where I got the kit.. http://www.vwinnovations.com/ I see now they make a fiberglass split dash, hmmmmm.....

shano63 Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:10 pm

hitest wrote: I say slap on an Alligator shirt, spray on some Polo aftershave- bust out the 1984 VW Trends Bugorama issue- then chop in the split window...

Sambaland agrees- Shano pulls the look quite well. It starts and ends there however...

Too funny, thanks for the props!

Danny79 Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:35 pm

Did you convert it or not ? Inquiring minds want to know !

allsidius Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:14 am

Go for it! We all love VWs modified beyond belief. That's why we are here. While you are at it, why not fit a curved screen from a super too?

smitty24 Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:03 pm

Ive always like Shano's car...no matter how impure it may be. No reason why the right amount of work can't produce something super cool. I do think the chopped windshield, reworked dash, W decklid, correct tailights are necessary. Earlier cars it would look better than later. And yes, it is your car ultimately. No one can say your car won't be worth shite...there are volksrods out there that are superbly done and selling for $30k. There is a whole crowd out there looking for something custom and wild...not common like every other cal-looker you see at every show.

Glenn Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:07 pm

Go for it... just as long as you don't cut up a Split for the roof panel.

TonyB Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:27 pm

shano63 wrote: First off it's your car and you should do with it what you want. That being said, I did this to my 63 and holy crap did I take some heat. It turns out this is the ultimate VW sin. Personally I like it, earlier tail lights would help though. Here is a pic...

Like I said it's your car, have fun with it.
That’s what I’m wanting to do with my 72 Super ... Baja kit, ragtop & a pop-out split window

shano63 Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:26 pm

Sadly, I caved to all the peer pressure and took out the split. Actually, the fiberglass started cracking and it had to go.

Mos6502 Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:15 am

Really needs a pre '58 decklid and tail lights to look decent.