TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 215x75x15 v's 225v75x15 - is ther much difference ??? Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Mick Ord Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:47 pm

About to purchase BFG A/T''s for a 91 syncro westy...i can't decide on which is the best size 215 v's 225, on a 15" rim.
I am after a off road, big tyre type of look, but understand that too big can adversly effect gearing etc..is there a noticable differance between these 2 sizes ???

Whats your advice ??? .thxs

chimivee Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:02 pm

Mick Ord wrote: About to purchase BFG A/T''s for a 91 syncro westy...i can't decide on which is the best size 215 v's 225, on a 15" rim.
225 or 235?

PDXWesty Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:04 pm

Look at the spec tab on this page. It gives all the specs for the tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO

82WestyMan Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:44 pm

This is nice tool
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/brochure/info/tmpInfoTireMath.jsp
You can put in two tire sizes and compared the differences as:

Totals are in inches Tire 1 Tire 2 Difference
Sidewall Height:
Section Width:
Overall Diameter:
Circumference:
Revs per mile:

toomanyveedubs Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:45 pm

BF only makes a 215/75R15 or a 235/75R15 in the AT.

Anybody running the 235 width?? any issues with rubbing???

The 215 is no problem on a standard syncro from what i have read around here.

Mick Ord Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:19 pm

Sorry my mistake re the BFG's, i did look at Firestone destination AT and they do a 215 and a 225 in 15'( with the correct rating for a syncro westy)..here's the results, with the discount tire calculator( thxs).

Totals are in inches Tire 1 Tire 2 Difference
Sidewall Height: 6.35 6.64 0.29
Section Width: 8.46 8.86 0.4
Overall Diameter: 27.7 28.29 0.59
Circumference: 87.01 88.87 1.86
Revs per mile: 728.17 712.97 -15.2

Again if i went with the 225, would there be a noticable difference in performance..my concern is with a loaded westy ( kids, camping gear etc), would i be making a mistake ?

ThankS

Jon_slider Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:32 pm

> my concern is with a loaded westy ( kids, camping gear etc), would i be making a mistake ?

yes 235 would be a mistake because they will rub.. or do you have taller than stock springs?

> Revs per mile: 728.17 712.97 -15.2

those numbers dont match the data
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+A%2FT

the link I give above says the 215 firestone has 753 rotations per mile, not 728.17
and the 235 has 737, not 712

fwiw, stock rotations is 819

a 215 firestone will be 8% taller than stock
a 235 will be 10% taller, not a big difference in gearing, but, the 235 width will be a problem, Ive read reports that they rub

try not to reinvent the wheel, go with the proven solution, BFG AT KO in 215.. its plenty big and you will be happy with the look.. dont skimp and go firestone, the tread does not come close to the BFG in offroad look.. the firestone looks like crap

bfg first

firecrap second

just opinionating, since you ask

toomanyveedubs Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:25 pm

i just happened across this

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=921111

he is running 235/75R15. Not sure if the suspension is stock, but i would think that it may also have to do with the rim width and offset to avoid rubbing???

I have two sets of 15" rims for my van, one is ET 30 and the other is ET 23.

will somebody WITH 225 OR 235 please chime in!!! Are you running it with Stock Suspension????

chimivee Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:33 pm

Jon_slider wrote: dont skimp and go firestone, the tread does not come close to the BFG in offroad look.. the firestone looks like crap
And don't skimp and purchase based on looks alone. Or someone else's opinion on looks, for that matter.

chimivee Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:50 pm

Mick Ord wrote: here's the results, with the discount tire calculator( thxs).
I would not go by a tire size calculator as it's going to use generic values. Do as others have suggested and compare the manufacturer specs on TireRack.com.

If you are considering the Destination AT, there is also a 225/70R15, which is similar in diameter to a 215/75R15. 760 revs. The load rating on TireRack.com is wrong, it's 1753 lbs not 1153 lbs.

But if you truly just want the "off road, big tyre type of look," then I think most would agree the BFG fits the bill better, in which case you might as well go with the 215.

Syncroincity Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:19 am

I'm running 235/75-15 BFGs, but with a 2" lift (Syncro.org springs and OME shocks) Audi TQ5K rims w/ 15mm spacer to make up for the 45 offset. No rubbing on trailing arms, no body clearance issues except if I compress the front suspension hard while in a sharp turn ie. leaving a steep driveway too fast.

I have to throw in a plug for the BFGs... they are hands down my favorite light truck tire; they look great, built like a tank, super-tough sidewalls & lasts 60K easily with proper rotation.

edgood1 Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:07 am

chimivee wrote: Jon_slider wrote: dont skimp and go firestone, the tread does not come close to the BFG in offroad look.. the firestone looks like crap
And don't skimp and purchase based on looks alone. Or someone else's opinion on looks, for that matter.

from the research that i've done the firestone destination AT is just as good an off road tire as the BFG AT, but far superior in snow/icy conditions. I've spoken to two syncro owners who run them and they had nothing but good things to say about them.

If you want the look of the BFG get the BFG, but the firestone is a much cheaper alternative. at sears they are $109 per tire vs. $143 for the BFG.

The General Grabber AT2 is in the middle of the two, has better snow performance than the BFG with an aggressive look.

It has seemed to me that most (not all) of the people running the BFGs and talking them up live in warmer climates where getting a good snow tire is not a concern. In New England its the first thing I think about when deciding on year-round tires.

Jon_slider Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:17 am

as you can see, even with upgraded springs, the 235 rubs

>I'm running 235/75-15 BFGs, but with a 2" lift
> clearance issues
> if I compress the front suspension hard while in a sharp turn ie. leaving a steep driveway too fast.

note the firestone 215 has a max inflation of 44psi and weighs 28lbs
the BFG 215 has a max inflation of 50 psi, and weighs 33lbs

to me that says the BFG has 18% more material (5lbs more), and the higher inflation means stronger sidewalls..

edgood1 Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:28 am

Jon_slider wrote: as you can see, even with upgraded springs, the 235 rubs

>I'm running 235/75-15 BFGs, but with a 2" lift
> clearance issues
> if I compress the front suspension hard while in a sharp turn ie. leaving a steep driveway too fast.

note the firestone 215 has a max inflation of 44psi and weighs 28lbs
the BFG 215 has a max inflation of 50 psi, and weighs 33lbs

to me that says the BFG has 18% more material (5lbs more), and the higher inflation means stronger sidewalls..

not necessarily. It may mean that the composition of the rubber is different. The BFG all terrains use a very dense rubber composition. This is what makes them so stiff and strong enough to handle the higher inflation pressure. It is also what makes them act like hockey pucks in the extreme cold...and also why they suffer in snow conditions and excel in dry off road conditions.

Jon_slider Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:58 am

> not necessarily. It may mean that the composition of the rubber is different. The BFG all terrains use a very dense rubber

thats exactly why they weigh more.. more material=denser=heavier

or are you suggesting the firestone is better in snow than the BFG?.. OK.. but, I would rather have Nokian if snow is on the agenda..

peace :-)

ThorAlex Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:11 pm

I'd guess 225/73 would be fine, but I haven't tested that myself.

My real reason for replaying here is the 235 discussion. My answer on that is that it depends on the van. Sometimes it works, sometimes it rubs. I had 235/75 15 GG AT2 on my syncro doka, and had to cut the front arch a bit. On the other hand I drove a single cab with 235/75 15 BFG AT that did not rub.
My doka, rims are 15x7 ET37 from MB:

This is the single cab, unknown rims but no rubbing, it was loaded with the wheels of the doka, a complete WBX, a bug rear suspension and gearbox and some other stuff when the picture was taken:

Both vehicles were otherwise completely stock.

Theres some facts, make your own opinions :P

Syncroincity Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:49 pm

The General all-terrrains are clones of the BFGs as far as looks, at least the earlier generation of BFGs, but much less expensive.

I'd never noticed degraded cold-weather performance with the BFGs, but then I've not driven them in really brutally cold environments.
I have, however, driven them about 20 miles at 12psi at close to highway speeds because I left my air pump home when I went to the beach once. :oops: Not a peep out of the tires, and the van handled almost as normal. These tires do not balk at being abused.

toomanyveedubs Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:51 pm

Just chatted with someone who had 15x7 et 40 and 235/75R15 and had rubbing until he added a 1/4" spacer. So I assume my 15x7 et30 should be fine without the spacer running 235.

I am going to go with the 235, I'll let you k ow what happpens Mick.

I also found some 235/75r15 for $109 installed + tax. Goodyear wranglers.

Mick Ord Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 am

Thanks for all the input..much appreciated.

Using the tire calculator, the 225 75 15 was actually larger in diameter than a 215 70 16, whick Gowesty says is about the limit. So im gonna stick with 215 75 15 and probaly go with the tireack deal for the BFG.........I now need two sets as ive just bought a Tristar syncro from Germany, that i know needs rims and tires !!!...ohh well its only ( more) debt !!

toomanyveedubs Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:34 am

congratulation on the Tri-Star :P lucky guy

Do yourself another favor(and gain even more debt) and have Bernd jäger drop in a v6 tdi for another €8000 while it's over there, then ship it back.
http://www.syncro-bernd-jaeger.de/
Costco also has the BFG A/T and M/T for $160/each, and no shipping! + $5 enviro and $15 mount and balance.

Best price I could find, getting them there today :)