TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: turn signals light up on dash but do not blink Page: 1, 2  Next
griest77 Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:29 pm

I did search but can't find what I'm looking for so here it goes My hazard switch and turn signals did not work so I replaced my hazard switch because the old one fell apart I found 2 blown fusses I replaced them no my Hazard lights work great, but my turn signals light up on dash but do not blink inside or out. What am I missing - HELP Please :cry:

PK399 Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:41 pm

I have the same problem as you but the opposite. My turn signals blink on the outside but don't on my dash.I changed the bulbs and checked the connections but nothing. :?

VDubTech Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:45 pm

Check the bulbs and the grounds. One or the other is your problem.

pkrboo Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:52 pm

Change your flasher Relay or at least check the connections to it.

Alex6373 Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Ground, Grounds ,Grounded

SGKent Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:02 pm

flasher relay, bad ground or hazard switch in that order

griest77 Mon May 17, 2010 6:14 am

Checked ground, bulbs, new Hazard switch, Fusses and Flasher unit all good. Now what???? :?

busdaddy Mon May 17, 2010 6:22 am

If all the bulbs are lighting brightly on the outside when you use the hazards (you checked that, right?) but it won't flash using the signals it's the relay.

griest77 Mon May 17, 2010 7:25 am

I checked all the bulbs to make sure they were tight and not burnt out, but they don't light up on the outside- they light up on the inside, but don't blink

busdaddy Mon May 17, 2010 9:20 am

Well you've gotta find where the power stops, break out the test light and start probing at the hazard switch, the 72 diagram is the same for the signal circuits if you're having difficulty with the later style layouts.

Barnstormer Mon May 17, 2010 9:40 am

I had the same problem in my 68. It's not just the wiring that has to be correct, the body of the relay itself needs to be grounded. Mine was just hanging on the wires- I hung it onto the little mount with the clip built into the relay body and poof! turn signals. Make sure yours is attached to something.

Sawsalesman Mon May 17, 2010 11:58 am

I had this problem this weekend but my problem was that the flasher switch was partially pulled out. Pulled out enough so the flashers wouldn't go on but enough so the turn signals on the cluster would both light up and the signals wouldn't work on the bus. Pushed it in and all was well.

griest77 Mon May 17, 2010 12:34 pm

What is the best way to get to the cluster?

projoe Fri May 21, 2010 1:42 pm

I have the same dang issue and it is very frustrating. I have a '71 Bus (mfg'd august '70). Switching on the turn signal turns on the light in the dash, solid no blinks, and no lights outside. Turning on the emergency flashers will blow the fuse after one click of the flasher relay. I just put a new turn signal switch in and traced and retraced the wires til I'm 99% sure connected everything where it needs to be connected to. I cleaned the bulbs and connections / sockets. I'm stumped and could use some advice from more advanced players.

busdaddy Fri May 21, 2010 3:53 pm

Welcome Joe,
Do your brake lights work? If you disconnect all the wires from the signal switch except for 54 does it still blow the fuse? if it doesn't then start reconnecting them one at a time.

Griest, check your Bentley, good pics and descriptions, basically it's the heater knobs, 4 screws around the outside (disconnect battery first, clip falls on live hazard switch :shock: ) and the speedo cable.

projoe Sat May 22, 2010 7:45 am

My brake lights do work. My headlights and running lights work and the headlight dimmer switch even works. (something that hasn't worked in forever) I'll have time to use your approach tomorrow. I prefer to do this type of repair when I don't have any interruptions. I'll also get a new set of bulbs all the way around just to make certain they aren't an issue. I'll post again after I work on it some more with the results. thanks!

projoe Sun May 30, 2010 5:27 pm

I had time to double check my wire connections and found that all my connections to the new turn signal were correct. I did check wire connections at the bulbs as I was changing them, and found the paint and body man had reconnected them wrong, grounds were not where they needed to be. I made the corrections and had good results. I now have emergency flasher working properly and bright/dim headlights, but I still get a solid light on the dash indicator and no lights outside when the left or right turn signal is on. I'm going to double check the wire connections on the light fixtures again tomorrow as well as more tests and give another update. I did try connecting the HR, HL, VR and VL from the turn signal switch, one at a time or in pairs but had the same results.

spankowitz Mon May 31, 2010 5:32 am

griest77
Posted your solution on the leakoil site. 8) The relay is OK if the hazards work correctly. I know you said you relaced the hazard switch, but some of the replacement parts out there are suspect in my opinion. :wink:

http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1171

innocenti Mon May 31, 2010 12:10 pm

sorry to hijack but i have the same problem myself . fitted new relay proved by another bus . fitted new emergency flasher switch and even swopped out the stalk on steering wheel itself still got the same problem as above ,lights up on the dash but not at any of the corner flashers itself ???????? :oops:

busdaddy Mon May 31, 2010 12:59 pm

OK, the next thing that can cause this symptom is lack of power (the dash lights are independant of the flasher power and only indicate a resistance in the circuit), if the fuse is good check that terminal #15 on the hazard switch (green wire) is getting power when the key is on.