TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 120v dometic ops
JTbeaufort Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:54 am

Just got my Westie setup, plugged in the fridge and nada, zero, zip, zilch.

Going to check basic connections but didn't see much on the 120v operation of the fridge, and yes I did look before mindlessly posting. Going to check the connections at the plug and the rocker switch in front. The fridge and cabinet are out and sitting on the floor of my shop.

MarkWard Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:40 am

JTbeaufort wrote: Just got my Westie setup, plugged in the fridge and nada, zero, zip, zilch.

Going to check basic connections but didn't see much on the 120v operation of the fridge, and yes I did look before mindlessly posting. Going to check the connections at the plug and the rocker switch in front. The fridge and cabinet are out and sitting on the floor of my shop.

How long did you wait? Even on 110 I don't recall it making a "noise". Sometimes when it is hot, I will hear an exhaust fan. I would leave it plugged in and on all night. Also, did you look in the cabinet to see if it was plugged in? Also verify that the 110v circuit breaker is not popped.

DLJ Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:11 pm

Wait for at least 2 hr after you choose any of the three operation settings. Now that you have refer out is a good time to open the burner box and clean any accumulation of soot ect. Of course I'm assuming that all your electrical is in good working order. You may also want to insulate the piezzo power wire so that it doesnt ground on trying to light flame .

wolfej1 Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:11 pm

When I bought my 82 the PO told me that everything worked. So when I tested the reefer and it made no noise I assumed it was broken - and i told the seller. He was not familiar with the time that it takes for the reefer to power up (nor was I) so I got the Van for $1100 instead of the $1500 he was asking.

Got it home - researched here - plugged it in and waited and voila - worked perfectly. I bet yours will work fine too :D

MootPoint Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:55 am

You won't see much on 120v operation for, other than the pump, strike, and squint technique of the propane, it's just like the other functions - noiseless.

Remember, it's not a "refrigerator" but in fact a "cooler" - and sometimes hardly even that - and as such won't appear to do much until the system has been "running" for a while.

VWGeorge Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:00 pm

My fridge will get COLD on 120V.A.C. in about four hours. Research the mods that can be done to these litlle coolers and you could be supprised on how good these units can work. On Propane I can keep Ice Cream, I killed a battery on 12VDC in less than an hour so thats not an option unless you are driving.