TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Transmission Ground Strap
kaferdude Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:09 pm

I'm trying to get my pan completed before I put the body back on ('57 oval). Unfortunately, its been several years since I took everything apart and I can't remember how/where the transmission ground strap goes on. Before I start loosening up too many transmission bolts, is it like pic1 or pic2 on the right side of the transmission or some other configuration? Anyone have any pics of what it should look like?

And just out of curiousity, what is the purpose of this strap? What's being 'grounded'?

pic 1

pic 2

Thanks for the help.
Dan

RareAir Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:17 pm

Like in pic #1, but on the Left side of the trans

RareAir Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:18 pm

i believe it's to ground the engine

Der Bugmeister Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:40 am

Grounds the engine/transmission to the chassis. Without it, your accelerator and clutch cables act as the ground which leads to premature cable failure at the leaded ends.

Schwing Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:53 am

Mine is at the nose. Its a 57 as well.
Is that ok?

SixVolt Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:33 pm

Schwing wrote: Mine is at the nose. Its a 57 as well.
Is that ok?

Just a suggestion. I would take that strap off and clean it up real good and clean the studs and bolts as well. A dirty ground strap once caused me some head scratching gremlins.

Schwing Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:13 pm

Quote: A dirty ground strap once caused me some head scratching gremlins.

Good suggestion. I'll add it to the list I couldn't agree more.

kaferdude Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:10 pm

Okay, Rareair, you say that the strap should be like pic1 but on the driver's side. But Schwing's picture appears to have the strap on the passenger side of the transmission but looped around and connected to the other rear-facing bolt/nut. I just tried doing as in Schwing's picture but it sure looks like my ground strap is too long (see pic). Schwing, has your strap ever been removed?

I guess this configuration will serve its purpose. Any thoughts?

Volumex Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm

I'd suggest not having a loop hanging down in the direction of travel - just in case these is a stick or something poking up enough to get caught in it.

Schwing Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:30 am

Quote: Schwing, has your strap ever been removed?

To my knowledge the transmission or strap has never been removed. My bug sat since the 80s with 149K original miles so its not likely anyone ever removed the transmission.

I just checked the "Volkswagen Owners Handbook by Floyd Clymer" (published in 1957) and there's a pic with the transmission ground strap at the nose of the transmission (where mine is) only its mounted to one of the nuts much higher on the transmission.
I can't speak for this book's accuracy but its at least another pic. Here it is:

Suboval Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:45 am

Here's mine on my 57 Hoizon Blue Oval with only 28,000 miles on it.

Russ Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:53 am

kaferdude wrote: Okay, Rareair, you say that the strap should be like pic1 but on the driver's side. But Schwing's picture appears to have the strap on the passenger side of the transmission but looped around and connected to the other rear-facing bolt/nut. I just tried doing as in Schwing's picture but it sure looks like my ground strap is too long (see pic). Schwing, has your strap ever been removed?

I guess this configuration will serve its purpose. Any thoughts?

the after market straps you buy are definitely longer,maybe twist it a couple of times to take up the slack

Schwing Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:24 am

Or just loop the slack around the top.
It looks like VW did this a lot of different ways. I wonder if it came down to what technician was installing it. I agree with Russ, give it a few twists to take up slack then run any slack UP instead of DOWN.

OR people can start crawlin under their dubs and snappin some shots here 8)

By the way kafer your chassis looks real clean! I need to get busy.