TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Convertible header bow clearance question
jimhens714 Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:34 pm

Help! I'm replacing my convertible top and header bow. When I mount the header bow to the frame (no fabric installed yet) and close and latch the frame what should the clearance be between the header bow and the top of the windshield frame? The tabs for the header bow alignment pins hit the top of the windshield frame and prevent the bow from touching the windshield frame. I have about 1/4" clearance at center of bow and closer to 1/2" clearance at each end. This seems a bit much to me.

Cusser Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:21 pm

I'm a little confused. After the top is installed there's a rubber strip that mounts to the top, which seats on the top of the frame.

Bierboy Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:26 pm

Cusser wrote: I'm a little confused. After the top is installed there's a rubber strip that mounts to the top, which seats on the top of the frame.
That may be the "clearance" he's referring to...I replaced that seal after getting my beetle, and it's probably 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

jimhens714 Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:28 pm

Cusser wrote: I'm a little confused. After the top is installed there's a rubber strip that mounts to the top, which seats on the top of the frame.

Yes that is true but the seal is only about 3/8" thick uncompressed. I'm thinking the gap is too big for the seal. I'm replacing the whole top. I haven't even gotten to the fabric part yet, still installing the wood bow on the metal frame.

Here is a photo of what I'm talking about. Now note on this side the wood bow is not yet even with the bottom of the metal top frame (black folding frame that is) as the screws have been loosened and it slipped out of position a bit. Even when aligned correctly note the gap between bow and windshield frame.

Bierboy Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:36 pm

I don't think the gap is too big for the seal. Now, admittedly, I'm talking from the viewpoint of a 68 vert, so the seals could be different. But my seal is at least 1/4" thick and closer to a 1/2".

jimhens714 Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:51 pm

Bierboy wrote: I don't think the gap is too big for the seal. Now, admittedly, I'm talking from the viewpoint of a 68 vert, so the seals could be different. But my seal is at least 1/4" thick and closer to a 1/2".

Mine is a '70 which has the same frame as your '68. Hmmm....

jd-drafter Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:03 pm

i think that by the time you get the top material in there- and the rubber seal... you should be close.

mine is a 70 body (68 pan...long story) and the PO had added a layer of 1/4" thick high density foam rubber along that area under the stock seal.

not perfect but it works.

good luck... my top has shrunk and pulled up at the sides... so i am due for a rework or replace soon as well.