TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 67 squareback losing power in 3rd and 4th uphill
jeromeaircooled Sat May 01, 2010 2:38 pm

I am working on my (soon to be ex) wifes 67 squareback. She lives about 4 miles away but the drive is a 2000ft climb. The car runs great all the time except up that hill. It starts up the hill great but when you get into third it will run ok for a few seconds and then lose power eventually causing me to have to downshift. It will also occasionally backfire out of the carbs as it is doing it. I have electronic points and I have replaced all other ignition components. I even swapped out distributors just to make sure that was not the problem. I have checked the gas tank to make sure that nothing is plugging the inlet and all is good there. The car used to be able to hit fourth going up this hill.

Russ Wolfe Sat May 01, 2010 2:46 pm

Have you checked compression?
How is the oil consumption?
What carbs do you have?
Are they sync'd properly?

jeromeaircooled Sat May 01, 2010 3:21 pm

Compression is good. It just had a top end done on it last year. It leaks a bit of oil, but doesn't really burn much. It has the stock carbs and they were recently tunes professionally. When it loses power it is abruptly, and pumping the gas seems to help. It will also occasionally regain power and speed up for a second or two

Russ Wolfe Sat May 01, 2010 3:56 pm

Sounds like a fuel problem then.

nodrenim Mon May 03, 2010 5:43 am

My type 3 had a similar problem, I cleaned the air filter, man I could feel the change for the better. Might work for you, might not.

Bgjohnson Mon May 03, 2010 12:27 pm

Sounds like your running out of fuel. When's the last time you replaced the fuel filter, how old's the pump, how long has it been since you've touched the carbs?

SeattleSquare Thu May 28, 2015 2:33 pm

I've recently encountered the same issue, guess I'll start by cleaning the aircleaners. I've recently replaced all the plugs and wires and the fuel pump. The car runs flawlessly....with the exception of long uphills. Almost seems like it is flooding or overheating?

bustercat Sat May 30, 2015 11:56 am

Wow. Deja vu all over again. I had a very similar problem. Car ran great till a long uphill stretch on the freeway. I have carbs and elec. pump with a regulator and gauge. Seemed to be fuel starved. I replaced the ancient pump, and filter, checked for 3psi.and figured it must be fixed. Nope.I pulled the fuel line at the regulator and only a tricklel of gas. The only thing left was a near new filter in front of the regulator. With it gone , fuel came out like a garden hose. So I had pressure, but no volume and a junk new filter. Moral of story, trust nothing. Check it.