TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: JayCee spring push rod tubes Page: 1, 2  Next
aeromech Fri May 07, 2010 4:53 pm

I just received a set of these JayCee push rod tubes from CB Performance. It's the first time in 37 years that I've ever used a spring loaded push rod tube so bare with me. I don't really want to get into the reason why I'm using them because that's in an other thread. My question here is how to install them. They came with no instructions. I did a search and found conflicting info. I installed the two o-rings using silicone grease. My question is about the large metal washer. It has writing on one side that says "this side down". I put it on the larger end as a backup ring for the seal which I suppose is correct. Which end now goes towards the head? I've read that the larger end, the one with the backup ring, goes towards the head for clearance when using high lift rockers. Then again, I've read that it goes towards the case. I'd like to get this right the first time. Does anyone know?

VDubTech Fri May 07, 2010 5:26 pm

aeromech wrote: Does anyone know?

I bet the folks at CB Performance would know. Why not email them?

aeromech Fri May 07, 2010 5:44 pm

VDubTech wrote: aeromech wrote: Does anyone know?

I bet the folks at CB Performance would know. Why not email them?

I considered that but thought that the thread and pics might help out the next guy. After all, there were no instructions included.

maximan1 Fri May 07, 2010 6:13 pm

Sorry for the hijack, but do these work on any VW engine or just type 1s?

aeromech Fri May 07, 2010 6:18 pm

Sorry, I should have said they were type 1

keifernet Fri May 07, 2010 6:31 pm

Sorry I don't have an exact answer to your question... but I personally have not had any luck with ANY of the "replaceable" pushrod tubes as far as LEAKING oil SOONER than LATER.

IMHO they are made mostly for racing applications, either drag or off road etc. Something that is easy to change if you have an issue under those conditions or circumstances.

Good luck with them. I'd like to see how you fair long term.

aeromech Fri May 07, 2010 6:41 pm

I'm just trying to avoid an engine pull. That said, I have heard good things.

keifernet Fri May 07, 2010 6:44 pm

aeromech wrote: I'm just trying to avoid an engine pull. That said, I have heard good things.

That's what I am saying... been there done that... seen others do it too.

I don't waste the time trying any longer. For a non racing vehicle I'd be pulling the engine and fixing what ails the stock tube/seals design. But hey, it's not my call :D :wink:

Desertbusman Fri May 07, 2010 7:00 pm

CB needs to give you the info. I'd think the rings/washers go on the smallest diameter ends since there is less backup for the seal. With my Bugpacs the small diameter end had to go towards the head because the snout was longer on the case end and wouldn't fit nicely into the head openings. And there were washers on both ends to back up the seals
Your "this side down" washers wern't in the main package? Don't they look like valve spring shims? Although it wouldn't matter providing the ID and OD are suitable to support the seals.

whip618 Fri May 07, 2010 8:31 pm

I run these tubes on my 2.1 waterboxer. I have the 1:25 CB ratio rockers so I run the tubes with the large diameter on the cyl. head end. These tubes work great, no leaks.

Phil

RocketRod Fri May 07, 2010 9:56 pm

If it were me; silver side to head, o-rings on each side of the spring, other backup rings on the other side if they fit (looks like they will). Not the same type, not my motor, and I don't know if its correct or
not.

Desertbusman Fri May 07, 2010 10:12 pm

No, Aeromech's O rings go in grooves on the inner tube fitting inside the outer tube. Have nothing to do with the spring.

I have a set of those non-spring loaded tubes which I decided they were not suitable. The double adjusting nuts (adjusting nut and lock nut)lengthen the tubes to get them tight. But they then are totally solid and strong with no give to match with the engines thermal expansion. those would probably be real good for a drag engine. Even the stock tubes remain springy while still exerting pressure.

RocketRod Fri May 07, 2010 11:11 pm

Desertbusman wrote: No, Aeromech's O rings go in grooves on the inner tube fitting inside the outer tube. Have nothing to do with the spring.

That is what I meant but wasn't clear. Assumed he would know where they went. Thanks for pointing that out DBM.

Not trying to start a debate but I wouldn't imagine that the expansion amount when at operating temperature would deform/compress the silicone seal to the point of leaking if they were tight when cold. I don't see expansion as critical here, internal motor yes, not here. JMO

aeromech Sun May 09, 2010 5:03 pm

Update, Sunday afternoon.

Turns out that the question about the metal washer and "this side down" has been answered. I had my machinist look at the push rod tubes and asked him what he thought. A light bulb went off in his head and he walked me to the back of his shop and showed me a peg board on the wall covered with similar metal washers with the same writing on them. They are valve shims. Looks like JayCee needed something as a seal backup ring and just used them as standard hardware. The fact that the printing is on them has nothing to do with the function or fit of the push rod tubes.

I installed just one tube and I put the blue side with the spring towards the head. The oil flows through the hollow push rod towards the rocker where it flows internally and lubricates the rocker bearing on the rocker shaft. Then it gravity flows back to the sump. By installing the tube as I did the flow of oil towards the sump is less likely to leak than if it was installed the other way around.

I have 7 extra tubes if anyone needs less than a full set.

kenshapiro2002 Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:41 pm

Any need to readjust the valves after this job?

busdaddy Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:46 pm

You should, nothing really should change much, but any time the rockers are off or the pushrods mixed spending a few minutes with a feeler gauge is time well spent.

kenshapiro2002 Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:27 pm

True.

kenshapiro2002 Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:40 am

aeromech wrote:

I installed just one tube and I put the blue side with the spring towards the head. The oil flows through the hollow push rod towards the rocker where it flows internally and lubricates the rocker bearing on the rocker shaft. Then it gravity flows back to the sump. By installing the tube as I did the flow of oil towards the sump is less likely to leak than if it was installed the other way around.

That's wrong...the spring goes toward the block. I called JayCee and spoke to the guru.

Tcash Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:19 am

kenshapiro2002 wrote: aeromech wrote:

That's wrong...the spring goes toward the block. I called JayCee and spoke to the guru.

Just got off with JayCee.
In dead they say to install the smaller diameter pushrod tube with the spring toward the case.
The reason being. With ratio rockers they have seen the pushrods rub on the smaller diameter pushrod tubes.
They also said, they have had no problems with the pushrod tubes leaking installed this way.

Very Nice Tubes
TCash

kenshapiro2002 Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:28 am

I just decided to pull and reseal my engine so the brand new never been opened set of JayCee push rod tubes will be in the classifieds within the hour.