TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 69 Ghia Wiring Diagram Goto page 1, 2  Next
Snoopy49 Sat May 08, 2010 5:40 pm

I purchased a Wiring Works complete harness for my 69 Ghia Coupe. The instructions that came with the harness mention using a 70 wiring diagram. I have the 66-69 Bentley manual and I don't want to buy the 70 manual just for a wiring diagram. Is the 70-71 wiring diagram on Samba the same as the 70 Bentley diagram. If not, is it accurate enough to use?

Here is the Samba diagram.

ovghiaguy Sat May 08, 2010 6:39 pm

I am currently wiring a 70 using the diagram you show.

Snoopy49 Sat May 08, 2010 7:09 pm

Please post when you get the wiring done and let me know how it worked out.
Thanks

I decided to order the 70-79 Bentley manual. $27 on Amazon delivered.
I would rather have more reference information than I currently need rather than not enough later.

sepulvedac Sat May 08, 2010 7:15 pm

I have a 72 and I use the samba wiring diagram all the time... it is color, not like the black and white one on the Bentley manual...

Ghiaddict Sat May 08, 2010 9:35 pm

sepulvedac wrote: I have a 72 ... not like the black and white one on the Bentley manual...

This Bentley has all color wire diagrams, except for some small
details on the auto-stick circuits:

(Hopefully they didn't go to black/white in later printings.)

Snoopy49 Sat May 08, 2010 10:01 pm

Ghiaddict,
I hope your right, that's the one I just ordered.

gheezerghia Sat May 08, 2010 10:53 pm

Snoop, I'm finishing up on my 69 and I'm using the WW harness and the schematic you posted without any probs.

Snoopy49 Sat May 08, 2010 11:43 pm

gheezerghia wrote: Snoop, I'm finishing up on my 69 and I'm using the WW harness and the schematic you posted without any probs.

Thanks, that is good to know. Did you find out why the 69 factory schematic won't work?

Did your kit have a Brown 24" wire that goes from terminal #31 on the wiper motor to ground? I couldn't find it in my kit. What kind of connectors does it have?

sepulvedac Sun May 09, 2010 1:39 pm

I got the same one but I am guessing it is a later edition. I just went and checked it and yup, still all black and white diagrams. The wires have the abbreviations for the colors but it is a PITA to follow sometimes...

ovghiaguy Sun May 09, 2010 4:13 pm

I posted some time ago that I had the 70 diagram enlarged to 24 x 36 at kinko's. A guy with his own printer said he could do it for half of what I paid to have it done. Find that thread. It makes wiring soooo much easier. look up Mark 33563

gheezerghia Sun May 09, 2010 8:02 pm

Snoop, I always keep some brown 16awg wire around just for these situations and for any new components/gauges that I might add. The connectors are the standard 14-16awg female connectors that Vw uses. You can buy the crimper and the connectors at DigiKey to match the stock type or go to your local hardware store and get the connectors and crimper they sell.

Snoopy49 Sun May 09, 2010 8:30 pm

gheezerghia,
I have a 41" brown wire in the kit that only has 1 female spade connector on one end and a stripped end without connector on the other end. Unless it is used somewhere else, I will shorten it and add the female spade connector.
Thanks for checking it out for me.

gheezerghia Sun May 09, 2010 8:55 pm

Snoop, I just checked my car out and the brown wire was no longer than 18 inches from switch to motor. I'd hold off cutting the long one you have just in case you find the shorty that fits. I don't recall having to put a connector on one of the wires in the kit? I called the Wiring Works guy awhile back and he was more than willing to help. Good guy.

ovghiaguy Sun May 09, 2010 9:27 pm

Taking a big shot in the dark, 41" brown wire with female connector with stripped end would be about right for the wire at horn ring down through steering column to steering coupling, but I don't really know for sure, or if it's part of kit. see (4) coming from turnsignal/hornbutton/keyswitch and at bottom of wiring legend

Snoopy49 Sun May 09, 2010 11:31 pm

Ovghiaguy ,
I think you may be correct, the instructions talk about a long brown wire that goes from the steering column coupling (ground) through the steering shaft to the horn button screw.

I will give Wiring Works a call in the morning about the missing wiper motor wire.

I just looked at the backside of the dash and noticed that all the lamp sockets in the speedometer,clock and fuel gauge were missing. Are the sockets being reproduced?

I looked at my 66-69 Bentley manual and all the wiring diagrams are in black and white, so I don't hold out much hope for color diagrams in the 70-79 Bentley manual I just ordered.

I am hoping that the 70-71 color diagram on Samba is a copy of the old color diagram from the original 70-79 manual. I will post when I get the new manual and let you know.

Thanks to All for the help.

ovghiaguy Mon May 10, 2010 3:41 am

"bulb holders" available at KGP&R. most are single contact. 2 spots on speedo need to be either taped over or holder installed with out bulb. you'll see why.

sepulvedac Mon May 10, 2010 6:15 am

Snoopy49 wrote: I looked at my 66-69 Bentley manual and all the wiring diagrams are in black and white, so I don't hold out much hope for color diagrams in the 70-79 Bentley manual I just ordered.

I am hoping that the 70-71 color diagram on Samba is a copy of the old color diagram from the original 70-79 manual. I will post when I get the new manual and let you know.

I compared the 69 diagram from my other Bentley book (black and white of course) and it is the same as the one on The Samba. My opinion is to go with the one on the Samba. So far I have used them for all my five VWs and always they have being accurate to the "T".

Good luck and keep us posted.

BTW, I do believe that the long brown wire is the one for the horn.

gheezerghia Mon May 10, 2010 7:01 am

I agree with supulvedac. That is prob. the horn ground wire.

NOVA Airhead Mon May 10, 2010 7:04 am

sepulvedac wrote: I got the same one but I am guessing it is a later edition. I just went and checked it and yup, still all black and white diagrams. The wires have the abbreviations for the colors but it is a PITA to follow sometimes...

I have seen the new editions of the Bentley coming through with B&W diagrams. It is a much less useful diagram in black and white.

Snoopy49 Mon May 10, 2010 12:27 pm

I just talked to Bentley Publishing and they said they changed from color to black and white diagrams many years ago. They blamed VW for failing to supply color copies. My personal opinion is that some bean counter found a way to save a couple of cents per manual by going black and white.

Maybe someone with an older manual with color diagrams can scan and post them on Samba? Maybe the ones already in the tech section are scans of the originals? Can anyone confirm this?

FWIW: The new 70-79 Manuals are hardcover rather than softcover. They increased the price $10, new prices is $49.95 USD.