TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Replacement Deceleration Valve
Bercilak Sat May 15, 2010 7:01 pm

My deceleration valve has long since been dead. I have a workaround, but would like a correct and connected set up.

So, I ask: Is there a satisfactory replacement available from another car? Something that would be less than an original part?

Any info on this valve (how it works, etc.) would be helpful too.

Thanks,

B.

RCB Sun May 16, 2010 7:10 am

Not sure what year Van you have but for an air-cooled its part number -071-133-551A and I saw on for sale here on The Samba, think it was Bryan who listed it.
On the air cooled model its not electrically controled but vacuum controled.
I also saw a few of the electronically controled valves for sale too. Check out the used parts forum.

Bercilak Sun May 16, 2010 9:26 pm

@RCB: Thanks ~ I have an AC '82.

I know I can pick them up here and there, just wondering if I can't buy a cheaper one (like one used on a camaro or something) that wouldn't be so pricey.

I knew it was a vacuum valve, so figured there must be other cars that use a similar type.

Seems to me maybe the early 240s do ~ I'll head to the JY tomorrow and have a look.

Thanks,

B.

RCB Mon May 17, 2010 6:37 am

Dont know if another would fit, but the one I saw here on The Samba was, I think $25.00.
The lower mounting post was missing but it could be attached without.

Freeking VW dropped the cookies when they designed the area of installation. To install it or remove it ya gotta gain access to it from behind the firewall.

I thought Gloria Allred was a real *itch but Ill take her over removing that part any day :P

reluctantartist Mon May 17, 2010 7:12 am

I looked int to this solution http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=370878&highlight=decel+valve but haven't tried it yet.

It isn't cheaper than the what you can get used, but it is an option on down the road. Get a working used one and be done with it for now.