TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Front End/Suspension Problem
chickenbeaner Mon May 17, 2010 9:24 pm

Hello all, I am having a bit of a problem with my 83.5 Westy. The front end is pretty sloppy when getting up near highway speed. I have crawled underneath and checked all the rubber. The only thing I can tell that needs immediate replacement in the bushings from the stabilizer link to the control arm. Based on other helpful posts, I raised the front end and did the 9 and 3 and 12 and 6 shake test. I got a fair amount of play on the 9 and 3 and when looking I could see the tie rod moving where it goes into the steering system. I didn't detect any looseness in the outer tie rod end, only where it enters the steering rack. I am assuming this movement (1/2 inch) is not normal, but it does do it on both sides?

So, so far I am definitely replacing the stabilizer drop arm bushings (any suggestions welcome, I don't see the write-up in the Bentley) and the tie rods. I guess the question I have is, am I missing something here? I am getting ready to make an order and wondering if I am missing something 'obvious'....

Terry Kay Mon May 17, 2010 10:44 pm

while your under the Van, check out the steering shaft U-joint at the input shaft of the rack.

The U-Joints do wear out and will offer a bunch of sloppy steering.

chickenbeaner Tue May 18, 2010 5:50 pm

Thanks Terry Kay. I am going to throw it on jack stands this weekend and give it a full look over. That is something I definitely wouldn't have thought of. That is why I love TheSamba community!