TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: alternator and battery questions...
SeattleDownhill Wed May 19, 2010 12:12 am

So this is the third time this has happened... battery and oxs lights come on... I have replaced my alternator twice now within 10 months... both were used alternators. However I was told they should be fine for quite some time, and then sure enough... NOPE...

I wanted to take it in and have things checked out in case ther might be something else going on, but i figured spending 50 bucks on a used alternator would be a bandaid fix for the time being, seeing as how I'm broke...

Is there something else that could be causing me to blow through alternators? Or is it just the fact that I have just been getting used ones and they were on their last leg as it is?

Thoughts?

My second question, is my second battery under the driver's seat is super old and probably itsn't anything but a plastic box now... Can I take my good battery from under the passenger's seat and toss it under the driver's seat, then buy a new one for the main battery? Might that solve some issues with the alternator as well maybe?

tripod808 Wed May 19, 2010 12:36 am

Check your battery terminals and grounds, if they are loose, the charge from your battery could be lost making your alternator look faulty.