TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Steering question
tbiglin Tue May 25, 2010 9:33 pm

The steering on my 86 vanagon is acting strange. The steering wheel turn easy then gets real hard the turns easy. When it turns it doesn't seam to turn the wheel as much as usual. I checked the fluid they are fine no noises coming from power steering pump. Could it be the rack n pinion going bad?

Terry Kay Tue May 25, 2010 10:18 pm

Not really strange--I've been seeing a lot of this happening often in the last couple of years.
But here's what does go bad.

The universal / cv joint right behind the rack on the secondary steering shaft is binding.

The U-loint in that CV is non-servicable ,and binding up as you turn the steering wheel.

You can do one of two things;

Get ahold of the Bus Depot--Ronnie has them for $179.00--plus.

Or, you can exchange your worn out joint with me for a remaned joint, (with a replaceable u-joint if it ever locks up again) for $89.00, plus a core charge which is refundable when I get the Joint back to rebuild for somebody else.

The new joint is beefier than the stock one, and will last an awfully long time.

Or you can forget about the whole deal and wait for the u-joint to snap in the cv and have no steering at an inopportune moment--

To discover if you have a binding joint simply pull it off of the back of the PS rack and move it back & forth & up and down.
( be sure to mark the joints location on the racks splined shaft)
That'll tell you the whole story right now.

It's just an old age thing--how long can a u-joint go without getting any lubrication beside the water being blown at it under the van?

Another case of;
Petrolis Neglectis.

P-Mail me and I'll line you out with a remaned joint.

vanagonjetta Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:08 am

Terry,

Is this the u-joint you are talking about?

On the one you have do you remove the bolt on each end, remove, and replace?

This part needs replacement, too much play and loose steering. It is unsafe. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement or a solution?

Terry Kay Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:25 am

That is exactly what I was talking about.

I have them in stock.

Destructo Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:16 am

Mine is also met it's maker. I was thinking of taking it off and bringing it to a FLAPS and see if there are any that would work.
Anyone know the measurements on it? What size shaft and how many splines, as well as total length of the joint?

Captain Pike Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:43 am

Destructo wrote: Mine is also met it's maker. I was thinking of taking it off and bringing it to a FLAPS and see if there are any that would work.
Anyone know the measurements on it? What size shaft and how many splines, as well as total length of the joint?
Been there,done that......no joy.
Buy a new one.

Destructo Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:07 am

Damn, not happy to hear that. Is it just a funky size or something?

Terry Kay Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:39 pm

The cross is just a size that isn't available anywhere.
Try Berry Bearing--I was there 3 times and they came up with zip.
It took me 3 years of hitting every bearing joint in the greater Chicagoland area.
I found what it would take--but the yokes still need machining to fit the u-joints.

Then you have to figure out how to remove the original crosses from the yokes, before you machine the yokes to fit anything you might find.
They are not clipped, they are externally staked--

Good Luck,

Destructo Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:19 am

Well, looks like I'll have to empty my wallet into your account then Terry. Look foward to hearing from me soon 8)

70coupyel Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:25 am

A search on that part # and I came up with this:

Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
281422417 $170.00 $0.00 $124.44
Steering - Steering column and wheel - U-joint - P/s
P/s 1980 - 1991

http://www.vwdiscountparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=214028

Bob Loblaw Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:12 am

Terry Kay wrote: That is exactly what I was talking about.

I have them in stock.

Bringing this post back from the dead. Still have these available?

geo_tonz Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:34 am

He might be slow to reply right now.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556910&highlight=terry+kay

His email's at the bottom of his web page too:
http://community-2.webtv.net/VanStuff/VanagonWestfalia/index.html

Claretcarat Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:32 am

What's the easiest way to get to the steering UJ?

[email protected] Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:18 am

Drop the spare and crawl in under there.. The Spare holder makes for a relaxing fit..

I had to do a lot of spraying to get the ujoint to come off..

The New Terry Kay peice I put in is invincible..

sam