TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Will HPMX Kit fit with stock doghouse shroud? Page: 1, 2  Next
mbjeeper Sun May 30, 2010 1:11 pm

Got a dual HPMX (40s) kit from CIP1 for my wifes car (new 1776).
Installed motor, went to put intakes on and it looks like there is going to be a clearance issue.
Anybody run dual HPMXs with a stock doghouse shroud?
Greg
[email protected]

clay ford Sun May 30, 2010 1:40 pm

why are you running hpmx's ? good luck getting those tuned properly
empi =junk

mbjeeper Sun May 30, 2010 1:57 pm

I know, I know. Took a chance. Not much good used stuff around here.
Will they fit or won't they?
Surely someone has done it.

modok Sun May 30, 2010 2:18 pm

Are you concerned about the carbs hitting the edges of the shroud?
The stock heater outlet parts can hit the carbs sometimes depending on what maniolds you use. I don't know what Empi manifolds are like, I guess you will find out!

[email protected] Sun May 30, 2010 3:14 pm

You took the chance; why don't you put them in and get back to us.

mbjeeper Sun May 30, 2010 5:37 pm

They don't fit. Hit the side of the shroud. Lack 1/2 " or so.
Non returnable.
Are there other manifolds that will fit, or do I have to go to a cheesy aftermarket 36HP style shroud? (Or back to the stock carb).
Hate to beat up my freshly blasted & painted tin.
Wanted to keep the thermostat & shroud flaps, as it gets cold around here.
There are very few 'dubbers around here, and nobody had any good used stuff, and the reviews/feedback on the HPMX kit was about 50/50, so I figured I'd try a set. Probably not too smart.
Back to the stock manifold & carb tomorrow to at least break the motor in, then hopefully I will be able to figure something out.
Lot of $$ not to be able to use them.
Dropped # 3 exhaust end of last August, and it's taken me until now to get the motor back in. Missed several cruises already, Wife want's her Beetle back.

[email protected] Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm

EMPI kit doesn't fit, what a shocker.

that sucks

bugnut68 Mon May 31, 2010 3:23 pm

[email protected] wrote: EMPI kit doesn't fit, what a shocker.

that sucks

They keep pulling in willing customers' hard earned cash, though, as evidenced by their newest GEX-style full-color catalog.

modok Mon May 31, 2010 4:10 pm

I am sure CB has manifolds that will fit. I am not sure which ones they make a lot of different ones. From memory the regular height "offset" ones did clear everthing and fit with the lid closed. The CB "big beef" are extra tall and clear the shroud by a mile but they are so tall the linkage and aircleaners may interfere with the car. The big beef would be my choice, but you may have to get custom with the aircleaners and linkage.
John C. probably knows which ones you need, but so far he's not telling!

MConstable Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:15 am

Pics would help...;)

Where are the carb bases hitting on the shroud...as in, would using 1/2" spacers between your manifolds and carbs move the carb base up enough on the shroud to clear?

You can belt-sand the bases of the manifolds at an angle to get "some" clearance...doubt 1/2" though...coupled with shroud "modification" you might get there.

Different manifolds might get you there...etc. etc. etc.

...again, post a couple of pics...

My engine started with big beef manifolds, CSP bellcrank linkage, and Doghouse shroud...linkage arms went straight through where the fresh air hoses should be...solution was to get Berg or CB-style linkage, or shorter intakes...went with shorter intakes.

...then air-cleaner bases hit the shroud right before the shroud curved in...options were spacers, different air cleaners, sand the intake bases, beat on the shroud, blah blah blah...decided on a little grinding on the air cleaner bases with minor shroud massaging...worked like a charm.

...hope my rambling helps!

sconord Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:59 am

It would have been great for CIP to actually tell you they won't fit a stock VW doghouse fanshroud. I found this post facto, I guess I should have learned never to trust CIP.

Since they do advertise "ALL DUAL PORT BEETLE STYLE ENGINES"

mharney Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:23 am

It's because they want you to buy a crappy 36HP style shroud to go with them. And most people would do that. The CB offset intakes will fit.. you may have to do some clearancing on the intakes to keep them from interfering with your cylinder tin though.. They're heavy bases for room to port them.

Tbirdusa Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:59 am

I'm running the space saver manifolds from CB and they should work. They turn the carbs around backwards and put the idle jets inboard. It makes for a pain to get to the #3 idle jet and #1. I have to pull the carbs down to and remove the floats to blow out or change idle jets. It did work though. Mine hit on the outside though because my tranny has been raised.
Rumor has it that the hpmx are getting better and webers are getting worse so it seems like a crap shoot on these duals anymore.

Dale M. Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:24 am

Its a manifold/shroud issue.... By the picture it appears you have the short manifolds, you need the tall version which set the carbs up about 1 inch taller and out a little more.... Tall version is about 5.5 to 6 inches flange to flange

The HPMX's themselves will work great, I was skeptical till I got a pair at half the price of comparable Webers... Can't tell any difference...

Dale

[email protected] Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:27 am

Just FYI.....Weber kits don't work out of the box with stock fan shrouds either.....

mharney Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:09 am

CB Kits do.

Max Welton Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:37 pm

mbjeeper wrote: Not much good used stuff around here.
Where is "here"?

Some machinists can modify your manifolds. Or maybe you just need to track down some different manifolds.

Max

Paul Windisch Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:51 pm

I have a Redline dual Weber IDF setup on mine, and the choke block off plate screws just touch the stock fan shroud. The only modifying I had to do was to bend the cylinder head tin around the manifold a little. Sounds stupid, but do you have the manifolds on the correct sides?

turboblue Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:06 pm

[email protected] wrote: Just FYI.....Weber kits don't work out of the box with stock fan shrouds either.....

Neither do Scat dual single barrel kits.

mharney Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:26 pm

I can believe that Gary.. The left side one tends to contact in a few places. It's so stupid. The right hand one tends to have trouble clearing the fresh air outlet sometimes too.