TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: water proofing ignition system
r.e.wing_fc3s Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:37 pm

i drove through 1/3 mile or so of around 8 inches of water that was running over the road as a result of yesterdays deluge. i was going what seemed relatively quickly 20mph? and was throwing up a good amount of spray. i have an 86 gl 2wd with what seems like stock clearance and no mudflaps :( i made it through no problem felt steady. about a 1/4 mile later going up a hill it started to cut out. i pulled over, engine bay was definetly moist but not soaked blew on the plug wires (which looked dry) and the distributor (dry) and the coil which was wet. so, shoud i just fill the coil hole with dielctric grease and maybe zip tie the primary to the coil tower? is the syncro coil more protected or just the same?

Terry Kay Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:19 pm

Here's the ticket for wayer proofing your engines igntion system from H2O running difficulties.

Do di-electric the coil wire on both ends--the coil & the cap--do all of the plug wires--on both ends.

Then for the iron clad wet running guarantee--spray in, around & over the cap & coil with LPS-1.

It'll never stop running--even if you run the Van through a river---knee deep.

r.e.wing_fc3s Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:11 pm

thanks for the tips. anyone else?

Steelhead Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:43 pm

what about the O2 sensor connection? For some reason I feel like that it too is prone to water soak problems.