TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Parking Lights Not Working. Troubles on Electric Avenue...
garysrocks Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:31 pm

Thanks to The Samba forums for so much help in the past!!

Here is my issue:

Front (L and R) Parking lights not working.
Back parking lights and side markers work fine.
Turn Signals front L/R and back L/R work fine.
Emergency flashers front L/R and back L/R work fine.

I went through and replaced all fuses.
Had an earlier problem with headlights not turning on, replaced on/off switch so that is new.
When I turn on parking lights, and test front L and R wires with volt meter I get nothing.

Why won't those suckers turn on like all the rest of the lights?

Help!!! No parking lights tends to get me pulled over by every bored cop out there. Plus, it is a matter of principle now--I need to beat this gremiln!

Gary

1987 Westy Manual Trans
Loved more than I love most people...

ajdenette Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:33 pm

In the plug for the switch did you look for any loose wires ones not pluged into their spade?

blyhigh Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:57 pm

I recently had crazy electrical problems. Turned out to be the ignition switch. If nothing else makes sense, try that.

Max
'89 Syncro

garysrocks Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:11 am

blyhigh wrote: I recently had crazy electrical problems. Turned out to be the ignition switch. If nothing else makes sense, try that.

Max
'89 Syncro

can anyone tell me what the ignition switch has to do with the parking lights?

RadioRental Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:10 am

Do your high beams work?
Is the blue led on in the dash when you turn on your lights.

When you r&r'd the switch did you test the old switch to confirm it was broken... there's a chance that it was not and the act of replacing it temporarily fixed a bad connection elsewhere.

In short, have you cleaned the two ground connectors behind the fusebox?

"can anyone tell me what the ignition switch has to do with the parking lights?"
On some makes and models of automovehicles the parking lights will switch off when the key is pulled. However, I dont think that is the case here.