TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: J T Garwood's Car of the Century Book Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
CarlIseminger Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:33 pm

Does anyone know anything about this website? I would like to purchase the CD version of the books, but since their last update, they haven't finished the site.

http://www.vwcarofthecentury.com/

It has been like this for many months now. I can't believe that they keep it going without the links working as it must cost them server fees.

Does anyone have an email address for them?

julrich366 Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:49 pm

This is from another forum...looks bleak for you getting this!:
============================================
I tried for over a year (numerous letters and a few phone calls) to contact Garwood. My conclusion? He has gone to the big VW dealership in the sky.

In the preface to Volume 2 Garwood gives his contact address as

PO Box 49, Dept. I
Fleetwood, PA
19552-0049

Mail sent to this address comes back as undeliverable. I tried tracking down his daughter, Tricia. Again, no success.

For anybody who would like to continue along this line, you might try contacting James P. Moser. Moser is probably located in the vicinity of Philadelphia (most likely close to Fleetwood). Moser ran a printing business which probably either set up or printed (or both) Garwood's original text.

CarlIseminger Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:51 pm

I had heard that JT had passed away. Maybe a couple of years now. The daughter had posted somewhere (I don't remember now) that she was having the CD book redone and it would be available on their updated website. But I remember reading this at least a year ago now.

Oh well. Will continue to try to find a hard copy of an earlier version.

Bookwus Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:39 pm

Hiya Carl,

You are correct concerning Garwood's daughter carrying on with the marketing of the two volumes.

Actually, she had the CotC website up and running several years ago. However she had a problem with security and suspended sales while the issue was reworked. What you see now on the site has been up and running for the past few months only. Inasmuch as the links do not work, I can only assume that there are still a few bugs (pardon the expression) to work out.

Bookwus Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:39 pm

Hiya Carl,

You are correct concerning Garwood's daughter carrying on with the marketing of the two volumes.

Actually, she had the CotC website up and running several years ago. However she had a problem with security and suspended sales while the issue was reworked. What you see now on the site has been up and running for the past few months only. Inasmuch as the links do not work, I can only assume that there are still a few bugs (pardon the expression) to work out.

kafercup Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:40 pm

Reviving an old topic: What the heck is going on with this?

CarlIseminger Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:37 pm

Obviously nothing. I suppose either they have passed away too, or they got discouraged. :cry:

I am still trying to find a copy that is affordable. I found one, new in the original box, but they wanted $700 for it. I can't afford that on my salary, so had to pass it up.

djkeev Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:35 am

CarlIseminger wrote: Obviously nothing. I suppose either they have passed away too, or they got discouraged. :cry:

I am still trying to find a copy that is affordable. I found one, new in the original box, but they wanted $700 for it. I can't afford that on my salary, so had to pass it up.

Odds are you aren't going to except at some local garage sale just selling old "worthless" books. Any dealer in used books will know a gem when they see one.

Dave

Dave Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:39 am

If you are looking for Volume #2, for (IIRC) 1960-1978 or so) on CD, there MIGHT be someone on here willing to help you out...and NO, it's not me. If they see this, they will know who they are, and it will be up to them to make the contact with you. Other than that, yes they are hard to find, good luck; they are out there.

CarlIseminger Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:39 pm

I'm surprised someone isn't "sharing" their copies, either by scanning to PDF or the earlier CD version. But I do know about copyright laws and problems that relate to that.

Some day, I will find out out there.

drmrmrmr93 Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:09 pm

Hello.

J.T. Garwood is quite alive! He has been hard at work revising his original book over the past few years. It is much more detailed and informative than the initial Volume One and Two. If the original volumes were equivalent to a dictionary, the newest revision is equivalent to a full-fledged encyclopedia.

The effort that has gone into this book is truly remarkable. It is worth the wait.

Just to clarify: Tricia is his wife, not his daughter. They are both far from dead.

@Dave: Where can I get a copy? :)

Your patience is appreciated.

-drmrmrmr93,
On behalf of J.T. Garwood Publishing Co.

lawn ninja Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:13 pm

That's good to hear I have been looking for a copy of this book and it's nice to know there is a new one coming out soon.

VOLKSWAGNUT Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:45 am

Yeah....we've been waiting too!!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149914&highlight=garwood

MACAM67 Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:05 pm

CarlIseminger wrote: Does anyone know anything about this website? I would like to purchase the CD version of the books, but since their last update, they haven't finished the site.

http://www.vwcarofthecentury.com/

It has been like this for many months now. I can't believe that they keep it going without the links working as it must cost them server fees.

Does anyone have an email address for them?

As of today ... nothing new. I can't even find the books through inter-library loan. ](*,) Does anyone know ANYTHING?

My57Oval Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:50 pm

I downloaded it from somewhere..at least i think i did. Ill check when i get home. Yeah a printed version would be great and i would pay a reasonable amont for a copy. $200 i guess if it was really nice. T

My57Oval Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:42 pm

Nope, I have Progressive Refinements which is pretty common I think.

My57Oval Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:54 pm

Check this out...

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B0006ELIWE/r...=&qid=

VOLKSWAGNUT Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:02 am

rkeyworth wrote: Check this out...

A fool and his/her money.. are often parted..

My57Oval Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:05 am

Oui , cela est très vrai mon ami, très vrai .

EverettB Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:48 am

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote: rkeyworth wrote: Check this out...

A fool and his/her money.. are often parted..

You can ignore these things on Amazon.
There are booksellers / private people that put stuff on there for crazy money just hoping someone dumb or lazy will buy it.
(Sound familiar? haha)

There are books like this on there of all types.
There is another book I collect and I have seen it on there for $500 a few times.
I could search the internet and other book places and find it for around $50 elsewhere.