TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1.9t diesel upgrade from 1.6na vanagon Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
eoberg Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:53 pm

I have just bought a 1982 vanagon that has a 1.6na motor with cracked head. I am want to/ am going to replace it with a 1.9t does anyone have some experience or knowledge about this procedure? My main questions revolve around what parts I will have to/ should swap out in conjunction with the engine upgrade. I understand that the transmission will need to be re-geared and I have a mechanic who will be doing that, but as far as parts and purchases go what do I need to know and worry about in order to maximize performance?
Will the existing injectors and lines work?
is the oil pump from the 1.6na ok to use?
what about Vacuum pump?
Valve cover?
Has anyone completed this swap before and know or have an idea about this? Also, assuming that parts will need to be bought to use with new 1.9 are there any recommendations on sites selling parts or better yet, any shops or sites that sell kits for the swap?
Please let me know if you have any information that will help me get this new (to me van running)..
thanks, have a good day!
-erik

DAIZEE Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:02 pm

new fuel lines are a must! Congrats you'll love it and its fuel economy. I'm going to leave the recommendations and information to the fellows, but there are several experienced. Summertime tho. Limited knowledge, just own one but there are different 1.9 L diesel engines.

mwsnow Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:57 pm

The 1.6D oil pump is too small for the 1.9TD. IIRC, it has 32mm pump gears compared to 36mm in the TD version. New pumps are expensive, but still available. The 1.9TD engine will not fit under the stock engine lid without modification. IMHO, the 1.9TD really begs for a different transmission. Think about the system as a whole. I am running a late waterboxer transmisison with 215/75-15 tires. This greatly increases the cost and complexity of the project. Good used 1.6D cylinder heads should be easy to find, as they were used in Golf/Jetta/Quantum cars for many years. If you want to go straight to the 1.9TD, there are many methods of getting there and each have their pros/cons.

Saguache Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:08 pm

eoberg wrote: I have just bought a 1982 vanagon that has a 1.6na motor with cracked head. I am want to/ am going to replace it with a 1.9t does anyone have some experience or knowledge about this procedure?

Howdy Erik,

I just completed a build and swap with the help of the very knowledgable and capable Scott Foss from TurboVans. While there are parts you'll want to hold onto, many of them will become spares for your next project. Currently I'm sporting the same injection pump (which was a modified Bosch pump with turbo anerode) and the same alternator. Many of the exterior feeder systems (like the fuel, filter, and return lines) you'll be able to make use of, but you'll have to evaluate depending on their condition and routing. The spider coolant pipe and the rest of the coolant system will work easily. However, the air intake is going to require customization or many parts from different vehicles.

Vanagonner Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:43 pm

Actually, you don't need to change the steel fuel lines on a diesel, just need to change the rubber ones on gas engine vanagons.
Enjoy your project!

?Waldo? Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:38 pm

Neither the valve cover nor the vac pump from the 1.6 will fit the 1.9.

bridgetroll13 Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:45 pm

Take a look at vwdiesel.net. There is an IDI (indirect injection) section which refers to the older design (mechanical injection into a pre-chamber) of which your 1.6 is an example.

There is also a TDI (turbocharged direct injection) section which covers the newer design microprocessor injection (to make things more confusing, some people have created their own systems of mechanical injection to sidestep the complexities of wiring).

Perhaps the simplest thing would be to get a head that you can put on so you can drive it now and give yourself a little time to absorb the particulars of what combination of components would work for you in the long run.

welcome to the stinkenklankenwagen community.

Erik
'82 Westy, 1.9td AAZ, AAP 5 spd

eoberg Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:29 am

Hey everyone! Thank you all very much for your input and knowledge sharing. I really appreciate it and will take any and all advice with me through this project.. photos to follow as I get things going and once I get an engine lined up for the install. Does anyone know a good source with 1.9t diesel engines available? either re-built or brand new?? I am not looking for a TDI as that will involve much more money and time invested then I can afford right now. I would like to track down a good motor and the place I have been trying to contact (Z &S imports) has not gotten back to me. Are there any other sources for buying a motor, again new or rebuilt, that you know/ recommend? THanks!!!

MarkWard Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:44 am

For engines and complete kits for a TDI conversion, do a google search on Eurospec. I have no affiliation with the company, but love to look at the pictures. I like the advice of fixing the current engine and then regroup. My Vanagon with the TDI is awsome. This should get you in the mood. Congrats on your purchase.

Vanagonner Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:16 am

eoberg,
There are a lot of "new" things to learn when getting into a diesel vanagon for the first time. I'd suggest buying yourself some time for learning (like many of the above posters). If you get a simple (running) 1.6 n/a to just get yours going again, you will learn a lot in just r&ring the engine, and getting it set up, and fixing all the little stuff. Then you would have the pleasure of driving it around for as long as you like, giving you a time to get a better idea of what you'll need for your swap.
I bought mine sure that I was going to need a full blown turbo 1.9 5-speed etc. etc. conversion. I ended up making my 1.6 twice as powerful than it was when I had bought it, and now figure with bigger wheels I can get the gearing right on my 4-speed. I'm not saying that you'll go my route, just saying that a well done 1.6 is a very good little engine. And about $2000 less expensive than an AAZ. Very good to learn on.
From what I've heard, it may be fortunate that Z&S hasn't gotten back to you- search threads here in the archives for that one.
You might get lucky with this importer in CA-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=879550

wildenbeast Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:21 am

Here are some sources for TD engines;

Brax Euro Parts
Phone: 406.267.3321

Quality German Auto
http://www.qualitygermanautoparts.com/Mainframe.htm
(I would recommend going there to see the engine first or know that you may have to have whatever engine you buy from Thomas rebuilt).

Eurospec
http://www.eurospecsport.com/products/engines/diesel-engines.htm

Overland Parts (need to order through an authorized Overland dealer);
http://www.overlandparts.com/private/index.php

I hope this helps.

farnhamassoc Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:47 pm

The most knowledgeable person who has parts for these conversions is Quality german auto in Ontario CA. He can set you up with the right used engine with low miles to replace the tired and overworked 1.6.

The 1.9 is so much better for pulling a bus it isnt funny. The 1.9 if you get the right one bolts right in. The block has all the same mount holes as a 1.6. The only difference is the block is .5 inches taller than the 1.6. Most parts other than the valve cover are the same. If you dont have the money for the turbo engine just buy the N/A and get a turbo kit from www.hansdiesel.com for $450 and it is better than the one that comes on the turbo engine. The turbo engine and the N/A are the same. Same pistons block everything. They changed the pistons with the TDI.

I am running the 1.9 N/A With the tdi replica turbo kit. It pulls my rabbit truck with 1500lbs of cargo almost effortless with the A/C blasting. No adenoid pump just the stock 1.9 N/A. Almost no smoke and almost no turbo lag. Boost just above idle. The same gas mileage as the 1.6. I wouldnt wast any money or time on a 1.6 after having both.

Syncroincity Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:36 am

Ideally you'd want an AAZ from a Passat, as this has a Garrett T2 turbo on it; this one bolts into the vanagon with little to no clearance issues. AAZs from other VWs have turbos with different layouts that will hit the left side motor mount.

Quality German is probably your best bet, he's got them in stock and has a bunch of variations. He ain't cheap though, and the motors are sometimes a bit shagged out.

Join vwdiesel.net and put up a want ad, many Canadians frequent the site, and are our main source for AAZs. The motor was never imported to the US.

Stay far away from Z&S. Shady outfit.

hansdiesel is another name for seller prothe search that name and draw your own conclusions. I have purchased plenty of small, non-critical parts from him, but it's primarily Chinese-made products (they have a VW factory there) so I would not go for stuff like turbos and heads unless your budget is really tight. Used German is generally better than new Chinese.

AutohausAZ.com is a great parts outfit and very diesel-friendly.

See my build thread for a complete teardown of the AAZ., in color. :P

rotaecho Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:20 pm

Does www.hansdiesel.com even exist anymore? I haven't seen anything one that page for Turbo kits anywhere.

farnhamassoc wrote: The most knowledgeable person who has parts for these conversions is Quality german auto in Ontario CA. He can set you up with the right used engine with low miles to replace the tired and overworked 1.6.

The 1.9 is so much better for pulling a bus it isnt funny. The 1.9 if you get the right one bolts right in. The block has all the same mount holes as a 1.6. The only difference is the block is .5 inches taller than the 1.6. Most parts other than the valve cover are the same. If you dont have the money for the turbo engine just buy the N/A and get a turbo kit from www.hansdiesel.com for $450 and it is better than the one that comes on the turbo engine. The turbo engine and the N/A are the same. Same pistons block everything. They changed the pistons with the TDI.

I am running the 1.9 N/A With the tdi replica turbo kit. It pulls my rabbit truck with 1500lbs of cargo almost effortless with the A/C blasting. No adenoid pump just the stock 1.9 N/A. Almost no smoke and almost no turbo lag. Boost just above idle. The same gas mileage as the 1.6. I wouldnt wast any money or time on a 1.6 after having both.

?Waldo? Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:22 pm

farnhamassoc wrote: If you dont have the money for the turbo engine just buy the N/A and get a turbo kit from www.hansdiesel.com for $450 and it is better than the one that comes on the turbo engine. The turbo engine and the N/A are the same. Same pistons block everything.

Accuracy check... The 1.9 non-turbo (1Y) engines are not the same as the 1.9TD (AAZ) engines. The most minor difference is that the block is not drilled for the turbo oil return line. More noteworthy differences are that the rods and pistons ARE different as is the compression ratio.

bridgetroll13 Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:48 am

Quote: Does www.hansdiesel.com even exist anymore? I haven't seen anything one that page for Turbo kits anywhere.

Every once in a while they send me a love note...

They are now HansAutoParts.com

Same stuff...

Erik

rotaecho Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:13 pm

Thanks!

bridgetroll13 wrote: Quote: Does www.hansdiesel.com even exist anymore? I haven't seen anything one that page for Turbo kits anywhere.

Every once in a while they send me a love note...

They are now HansAutoParts.com

Same stuff...

Erik

weisswurst Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:12 pm

For sure check out Thomas at quality German, he saved my bacon (or exhaust really) 8) on my aaz td once or twice during my Doka conversion...
jeff

Gizmoman Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:23 pm

Being an 82 1.6, I believe an air cooled tranny (possibly a DX), will need to be in the mix or 55 will be max RPM.

bridgetroll13 Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:31 am

I had occasion to put the 1.6 NA back in briefly after I had installed the AAP 5 speed tranny. That transmission has the lowest numerical final drive of all of the Vanagon transmissions available. (Basically the opposite end of the spectrum from the stock diesel gear box). When going downhill, yes I could get going a bit faster but on flat ground the 1.6 just doesn't have enough grunt to push the aerodynamically shaped Vanagon any faster than 55 mph.

Erik