TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: de-moulding my van Goto page 1, 2  Next
r.e.wing_fc3s Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:55 am

id like to replace my window scrapers as van-cafe calls them. they have the scrapers for the trim without moulding on sale now. the moulding around all the windows is no longer chrome but yellowed cracked plastic. it seems like quite a job to replace all the window rubber but since i will be adding the vented rear windows i mine as well start planning now. what year did they start doing the window rubber without moulding? has anyone replaced the window rubber with the non moulding type? it seems like on the front doors the moulding is actual chrome, can i just remove this? is there newer not chrome trim i need to put in its place? thanks

Mofus Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:23 pm

If you don't want to replace all of the rubber just to be rid of that "chrome" strip it's not really necessary as they can be easily removed. Just get a little screw driver in the seem, pry out a bit to get it started, and pull it out. I did mine last weekend. The hatch window strip came out in about 12 pieces. The windshield in two big ones. I did replace three of my four rear side windows with the newer kind with the vents in them, and a black slider. They all came without the high quality plastic chrome strip.

The front windows are a different story. You'll probably have to replace the whole deal with black scrapers included. As far as I know "scrapers" refers the the part of the front window molding that actually scrapes against the window as you roll it up and down.

Check it out. I got my windows when there was a ton of vans in the junk yards during the cash for clunkers craze. I drove around with "clunker" on my window for a couple days, but it was a bit embarrassing.

PDXWesty Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:46 pm

You'll hear a lot of people argue that the molding is integral to maintaining the integrity of the seal. I can tell you from experience that it made no difference on one of my vans. I ripped it all out and the van looked 100% better. There were no leakage problems on my van at all.

There are other posts where people have gotten into heated arguments over this issue. Bottom line is it's your van and you can do what you want.

snuf Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:08 pm

I believe the chrome/plastic molding is no longer available,
http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=315 .
So your best option would probably be to go for the non-molding type.
Read Weatherstrip-Front Doors Article below (middle of page)
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/smartlist_619/weatherstrip_front_doors.html

Hope these articles help.

Gauche1968 Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Removed the molding on my van, it made no difference; except made it look a little better.

Ahwahnee Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:39 pm

I too removed that discolored molding (molding molding?) and it looks great with no ill effects.

If the old stuff sits with the sun on it for a spell the rubber may give up the old chrome trim a little easier.

davideric9 Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:20 pm

take a close look at the chrome around the wind wing. You may have to cut this in place or get new rubber around the wind wing to get the no chrome look you are after (its not easy)

Nikkoleto Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:49 pm

So I can just pull out the chrome molding around the window and clean up the seals? Wont someone be able to tell that u told the molding out? What did the GoWesty article mean by cleaning up the seals?

davideric9 Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:18 pm

The chrome around the front window will NOT just pull out. Only the chrome around the other windows will pull out. The front windows will need all new NON chrome molding including a new wind wing seal. This was my experience.

Ahwahnee Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:41 pm

davideric9 wrote: The chrome around the front window will NOT just pull out. Only the chrome around the other windows will pull out...

Just to be sure this is clear... by front window I think he means the driver and passenger door. To eliminate that chrome new pieces must be fitted.

For the molding around windshield and the rest of the glass the chrome/plastic can be pulled out.

Quote: Wont someone be able to tell that u told the molding out?

You have to really take a close look to see the groove where that trim was.

hiram6 Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:30 pm

You can replace the "scrapers" on the driver's door and passenger door without repalcing the vent window rubber, but you have to cut the old chrome insert off and leave it around the front and bottom of the triangular vent window.

Shamelessly copied form Van-cafe's excellent website:

Chrome Trimmed Vanagons

But I have that chrome strip so where does that leave me? Again there a number of items to discuss. If you retain the chrome strip then you have to buy special weatherstripping parts that are harder to find and more expensive but have an extra groove in them to accept the chrome strip. Keep in mind that they do not come with the chrome strip, but simply allow your original chrome strip to still be utilized, so if you choose the path of keeping them, make sure that they are still in very good shape. Purists may want to retain these strips but they really don't add much visual flare to the vanagon, and I think they look cleaner without them. Should you be willing to jettison them, you have two options. You can carefully and cleanly cut the strip as it passes the wing window frame on the top and bottom with a hack saw or die grinder so that it only remains for the area around the wing window and then install the two common parts that are discussed above (the outer window scraper and the felt channel). You might think that it looks weird to only have part of the chrome trim, but it looks perfectly natural. The other option is to replace the wing window seal (style designed to be used without the chrome strip) in addition to those two parts listed. That would eliminate the need for any chrome strip, but the wing window seal is an extra expense, more difficult to replace, and is usually not worn.

Tips for Chrome Trimmed Vanagons

While I am giving you chrome strip people some economical hints, I have another tip. If you have the chrome strip door windows then you also have those unsightly plastic trim moldings in all of your regular window seals for all of the rest of the Vanagon. They are likely discolored and cracked. Maybe they looked nice when the car was new but 15 to 20 years down the road they sure seem like a dumb idea. Don't pull them out, your windows will be loose and the seals will leak as they keep tension on the seals to keep them snug. We recommend taking a can of black paint and a small paint brush and going around the van, and just painting all of them black. They blend in with the rubber this way and your eye won't even pick up on the cracked ones or ones that are missing chunks unless you look for them. Certainly if at some point you are replacing the windshield or any of the other windows, or you are getting a paint job, then it will make sense to replace the rubber with non-trim strip window rubber, but until then the $5.00 fix removes the eyesore.

stevey88 Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:47 pm

Mofus wrote: I did replace three of my four rear side windows with the newer kind with the vents in them, and a black slider.

Mofus,
I am planning to do the same. Did you replace the foam found inside the rear plastic vents ? Do you have any pointer for installing the rear side window with vents ? Just wondering as the glass and the vent is not in one piece.

dobryan Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:10 pm

stevey88 wrote: Mofus wrote: I did replace three of my four rear side windows with the newer kind with the vents in them, and a black slider.

Mofus,
I am planning to do the same. Did you replace the foam found inside the rear plastic vents ? Do you have any pointer for installing the rear side window with vents ? Just wondering as the glass and the vent is not in one piece.

You install the glass and vent assembly as if it were one piece. Put the vent assembly on the glass then wrap with the gasket. You are now in the same position to install as if it was one piece. BTDT. :D

climberjohn Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:18 pm

Today I painted the faded window strip on all windows as Van-Cafe suggests. (Not knocking you folks who say removing this strip makes no difference in maintaining seal integrity, but I am more inclined to believe Van Cafe on this issue.)

Items needed:
Simple Green spray bottle
roll paper towels
Flat black spray paint from the FLAPS
1 roll 2' wide masking tape (paint store)
1 roll 8' masking paper (paint store)
1 3 hour period of moderate sun above 50 degrees (hard to find in the NW in January!)
Paint thinner to clean up any boo-boos

I cleaned the window seals with Simple Green, masked 1 window, and sprayed 1 coat. Then I masked another window, sprayed a 2nd coat on window 1, and a 1st coat on window 2. Worked my way around the van, ended up with each window getting 2 coats of flat black.

Tip:; Van Cafe suggests painting with a small brush. I tried this on 1 window, and the spray paint looks MUCH better. I highly recommend investing the extra time of masking and spraying for a much better final look, and NOT using a brush.

-CJ

SL1 Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:24 pm

chrome window trim for windshield, etc available here

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=255853305

DannoT Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:22 pm

We just received the plastic/chrome molding to replace the discolored & cracked stuff. How in the world do you get the new stuff (T shaped) into the groove? What tool can I use? Have gotten half a window done and it took two people two hours. Is there a good way? We soaped it, we vaselined it, we used every pick and screwdriver we have and it won't work. Help! Anybody?

ipclark Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:06 pm

I was all set to paint my old faded chrome moldings as per VanCafe's suggestion..
Just for the fun of it I tried a black permanent marker. Had a large one, looks great and has with stood multiple washings. I cleaned with alcohol prior to application. The chrome joining strip needs sanding prior to application.

Ahwahnee Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:35 pm

DannoT wrote: We just received the plastic/chrome molding to replace the discolored & cracked stuff. How in the world do you get the new stuff (T shaped) into the groove? What tool can I use? ...

This is the type of tool I have seen a pro use for this:

http://www.aegistools.com/catalog/Windshield-Installation-Tools/Locking-Strip-Tool-PA1348/

It sorta spreads the groove as you pull it along inserting the strip. The pro made it look easy -- but I have not tried it myself. I have installed a locking strip w/o the tool (non-VW) but that one had a pretty mild nub that was easy to push in by hand.

16CV's Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:03 pm

Go ahead and start throwing Tomatoes now . That tool is not designed for what you want it to do . it is for a locking rubber where the bead actually open the rubber for glass installation . While the Vanagon trim does spread the rubber wider it is not designed to install as that tool allows. If you have seen pros use the tool , you will notice that when the bead is installed it is flush wit the outside of the rubber and not sitting on top of it.
I have seen this over and over again,so I tried it one time (I have the same tool) all it did was scratch and destroy the New shiny plastic chrome. It generally takes about 3 hours to pull the windows one at a time and put the trim in while on a bench and then re - install the glass .
I am a seasoned glass who has done this trade for longer than I care to admit. If you are still not convinced then spend some some of your fancy beer money and try it . After it doesn't work and you are too proud to admit then pull the windows out and do it the easy way. Or better yet help to stimulate the economy and hire a professional to do it.

Stacy

subter Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:13 pm

I was just about ready to pull the chrome strips out of the molding on my van before I came across this thread. They had turned that weird turtle shell brown color. Decided to paint them instead based on the suggestion here. Just got done with the sliding door window. Turned out great. Used flat black spray paint. Thanks for the tip.