TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Installing new SVDA distributor questions?? Page: 1, 2  Next
Yondermtn Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:37 am

I'm installing a new aftermarket SVDA distributor w/pertronix on my 1977 bus. Stock 2.0L

1. What is the distributor tang? The instructions say to line the tang up with the shaft.

2. The notch mark for cyl. #1 on the new distributor seems to be on the opposite of the distributor as the same notch on the old distributor. Should I position the distributor so that this notch is in the same place as the former distributor? (in relation to engine case)

TomWesty Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:03 am

Quick search of forum revealed this. It may help. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99028&highlight=index+svda+distributor

clearsurf2001 Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:03 am

This should get you started ...
http://www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles/instdist.htm

Yondermtn Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:27 am

Ok. TomWesty's link seems to be what is happening with my distributor. It seems as though it is 180 degrees different from the original.

It looks like I should install it with the same orientation as my stock dist., but I'll have to switch the plug wires on the cap. Correct?

Here is my old distributor with my thumb showing the #1 tdc mark.

My new dist. with index finger pointing to #1 tdc mark.

Here is a pic of my dist. orientation before I pulled the old one.

Mal evolent Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:33 am

the tang is the offset flat bar that lines up with the slot that drives the rotor shaft.

an SVDA mounts 90 degrees from where an 009 mounts, because the vacuum advance cam would hit the case if they lined up the same

busdaddy Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:35 am

Well the bottom line is getting it in a position where the vacuum can has some room to move for adjustment, if your drive isn't in the right place don't worry. Set the engine to #1 with your old distributor then install the new one and put your own mark on with a sharpie where the rotor ends up, arrange the wires to suit.

Yondermtn Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:41 am

Okay, thanks. Sounds like I'm on the right track.

Now my problem is that I can't get the distributor to seat all the way. I think it's because of the newer rubber seal on the shaft. I had a hard time getting the bracket over this seal too.

Any tricks to this? I don't want to force it too much, but I just can't seem to get it all the way seated.

busdaddy Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:56 am

The seal should have an almost flat profile, if you just can't get it in recycle your old one until you can find the correct one. IIRC Karl said they were available from Mercedes but try Germansupply first.

Just to make sure install the distributor with the seal removed and confirm the rotor position when it's fully seated so you know you've got it right once you battle with the seal.

Yondermtn Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:52 am

Got the distributor in there and cranked the engine and it won't start. I'm pretty confused at this point. :x

Amskeptic Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:02 am

Yondermtn wrote: Got the distributor in there and cranked the engine and it won't start. I'm pretty confused at this point. :x

Check wires to coil. All correct?

Put engine at TDC #1. Solid lifters? Confirm by checking that both #1 rocker arms have a little click of clearance. If they are both tight, rotate engine 360* and check again.

Look at the rotor under the distributor cap. Is it "locked into place" as in Successfully Engaged With The Distributor Drive Gear?

Wherever that rotor is pointing (ignore little notches on the distributor body), the wire in the cap just above it HAS to be #1 now. Install other wires 4-3-2-.
Try it now.
Colin

Mal evolent Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:13 am

how much won't it seat?

the height of the tang ( there's a hint there ), a quarter inch, ?

busdaddy Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:12 pm

How did you connect the wires from the new distributor?

Nica Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:18 pm

It probably didnt engage. That can be a PITA :roll: Make sure the shaft is engaged, try to move it, if you can move it more that a couple mm it didnt completely engage.

Yondermtn Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:29 pm

Thanks again for the replies.

I threw the old dizzy back in and got it running and started the entire procedure over from square one.

The new dist. slid in much easier with a warm engine. BUT, I'm having the same issue. Won't start.

The pertronix has a red and a black wire. I have my red to positive side of coil and black to negative side of coil.
I've tried all possible firing orders.

I found that after cranking the engine, if I set the crank at TDC the rotor is in a different place each time. Also, I can move the rotor around by hand. Is this what Nica is talking about? My shaft not engaging?
It looks like it's seated pretty well as is.

Thoughts?

busdaddy Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:48 pm

Not seated well enough, turn the rotor as you drop in the distributor until you feel the drive engage the slot, then give it a good twist both ways to confirm it's engaged. You may have bent the clamp by now and it may be holding the distributor up away from the case, there should be no gap between the distributor, clamp and case.

Yondermtn Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:56 pm

Okay. I got it seated correctly now. I could feel it drop in and now the rotor only turns a little bit with some springy resistance.

Still will not start. The rotor points 180 degrees(pointing towards #3 cylinder) from the original distributor. I have placed #1 wire where the rotor is pointing and then 4-3-2.

Now I'm perusing the Pertronix trouble shooting pages. :roll:

Mal evolent Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:07 pm

I have had 2 pertronix. they lasted about 10 seconds each, connected correctly to a 3 ohm coil.

Yondermtn Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:10 pm

Still no start. It has backfired a couple times while cranking, if that means anything.

I'm now thinking about pulling the pertronix out of the new distributor and putting some points in.

The reason I'm changing distributors is because I suspect my old one to be sticking. I can't get it to stay timed right and the idle will not return to normal all the time.

crDaniel Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:44 pm

This thread was describing my same problem exactly -- and then it ended! What was the solution...? And more importantly, how do I get my new Pertronix SVDA to work?

Randy in Maine Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:12 pm

From Speedy Jim and modified by Amskeptic