TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: synthetic oil Goto page Previous  1, 2
JunkYarDog Thu May 12, 2011 4:41 am

http://motoroilbible.com/

I switched to royal purple some time ago. I don't know much about ZDDP but I remember how engines liked leaded fuel too. Can't get the good stuff anymore.

msinabottle Thu May 12, 2011 2:47 pm

I wrote one of the fellows who run the show--he wrote right back, and said the Delvac should work just fine in the 1.9 Vanagon engine. I wonder how much a 5 gallon pail would cost at a truck stop... He said you wouldn't need any additional ZDDP in the oil besides what's in the Delvac.

Also, 'Bob is the Oil Guy' had a reference to the Delvac 15W40 working in Vanagon engines. Lord Help me, I guess I'll try it. Further bulletins as events warrant.

:shock:

Best!

Timwhy Thu May 12, 2011 2:59 pm

msinabottle wrote: I wrote one of the fellows who run the show--he wrote right back, and said the Delvac should work just fine in the 1.9 Vanagon engine. I wonder how much a 5 gallon pail would cost at a truck stop... He said you wouldn't need any additional ZDDP in the oil besides what's in the Delvac.

Also, 'Bob is the Oil Guy' had a reference to the Delvac 15W40 working in Vanagon engines. Lord Help me, I guess I'll try it. Further bulletins as events warrant.

Best!

Have you tried Mobile1 15-50? That's what I am running now for the summer. You do have to
shop around for a good price. Wally World had it in the 5qt bucket last summer but nothing
there yet. I think that they are still going with their winter merchandising mod for the oil, I check
the dept once a week.

funagon Thu May 12, 2011 3:19 pm

Robw_z wrote:
Something about ZDDP... somebody mentioned that is a concern for pre '89 engines. Since I have a 1990, it'd be nice if I was exempt from this concern, but it doesn't make sense to me that in 1990 VW would have changed the Wasserboxer metal make-up to meet a new standard. That'd be great if they did, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was no difference between my '90 2.1 and an '86 2.1... any thoughts on this?

Your hunch is correct. Your '90 WBX is about the same as earlier WBX's, and very similar to a 1940's VW engine as well. It has a cam pushing flat tappets pushing pushrods, which push valves with heavy valvesprings. This is the same as most older engines, and means your oil should have more ZDDP than modern formulations. (Modern cars have overhead cams with lighter valvesprings and so there's not as much wear on the cam/valvetrain.)

With conventional oil you want something that says "SL" but no later (meaning "SM" doesn't have enough ZDDP.)

For synthetic, Mobil 1 15-50 is good stuff (with 12ppm ZDDP). Sometimes I find cheap conventional oil such as "PEAK" or another store brand that is rated SL, and the packaging says "good for pre-2004 engines" or "for flat-tappet engines." Because it's conventional oil I change it out at 3k miles, which is about when it starts looking dirty.

I believe synthetic is good for 10k as the studies say, but I can't stand to leave it in that long, so I change it out after it looks dirty. (So I don't realize any cost savings with synthetic.)

MichaelRpdx Thu May 12, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: Mobil1
the Mobile1 What's the right oil for my car? web thing selects 0-40W Mobile1 for 1989 Vanagons.

Their product guide on Mobil1 oils lists VW Approved oils 0W-40 (502.00/503.01/505.00) and 5W-50 (505.00) as VW Approved for gas engines and ESP formula 5-30 (504/207) for diesels. The product guide also lists phosphorus and zinc levels, and recommended application.

See Oil Specification.org VW page for descriptions of what the 50x.xx numbers mean.

dagriztx Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:25 pm

So using the oil app:
Current Vehicle:
Year: 1990
Make: Subaru
Model: Legacy
Engine Type: 4cyl. 2.2Liter Naturally Aspirated

View printable

Ultimate Protection
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10W-30
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10W-30 is our most advanced, full synthetic motor oil, proven to protect for 15,000 miles between oil changes. Guaranteed. Mobil 1 Extended Performance reduces engine wear and oil breakdown, even during longer service intervals, to help extend engine life.

thummmper Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:33 pm

the parts that needed the zinc were the pushrods and wrist pins, so designers made the pins larger and went to roller rockers/ overhead cams right about 1990 as obd1 came into force. the zinc ruined the emissions so it had to go. thats a good reason to upgrade your power...because you drive by schools and retirement homes and think about what comes out your exhaust.
the right thing is usually the hard thing.

81'Westfalia Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:00 pm

In my opinion I've found that the following to be the best if you're running synthetic (although I would really push you to switch to 20w50).

After a fresh oil change/filter wait 3k miles
change oil filter/top off with a little oil that you may have lost
drive 2,500-3k miles, then change filter/top off with a little more oil
2,500 miles later do a fresh oil change and repeat.

Each motor is different and I'd recommend this on newer vw's rather than old.. but it can save you a ton of money in the long run.

msinabottle Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:13 pm

The old oil spec for which our engines were designed had 1200 ppm ZDDP.

You are lucky if a modern oil formulation has 600 ppm ZDDP.

Delvac, as far as I can tell, has 1000 ppm ZDDP.

15W40 oil in Winston's manual is actually listed for temperature ranges as high and lower than 20W50.

Wal-Mart sells 20W50 in 5 qt. jugs, it's made by Pennzoil and supposedly good oil.

Castrol does not make their own oil, but they do quality-check it.

This page:

http://www.nitemareperformance.150m.com/ZDDP.html

has a really useful table of how much Red Line Engine Break-In Additive to add to how much oil to add how many PPM ZDDP.

I have no idea how much ZDDP a VANAGON ENGINE needs to protect its horizontal valves and tappets. Maybe 1000 ppm is enough. I don't know.

I would like to.

I'm tempted to try the Delvac, which I have, with but two ounces of Red Line Engine Break-In additive, plus the usual BG MOA. I would feel more confident with using the Wal-Mart 20W50 with FOUR ounces of the Red Line and the BG MOA.

I will probably try the Del-Vac.

Best!

kuleinc Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:30 am

I'm running Redline 20w50, because I can get it for the same price as conventional oil. I hope I haven't ruined anything...