TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Let's see your Type 3 stereo setups Page: 1, 2  Next
DaBlackSamba Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:30 pm

especially fastbacks...lets see them, i'm trying to think of where to run speakers with the minimal amount of cutting, and drilling possible

Foxx Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:15 pm

my vintage 70's Boman Astrosonix am-fm

krusher Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:28 am

You could get some footwell speaker panels

notchboy Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:36 am

Present

Past

DaBlackSamba Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:07 am

how about speaker setups

localboy Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:12 am

Look in my gallery.

vwfye Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:21 am

look at the lower right of my car... that's my stereo!

Chim Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:52 am

I wish I could keep my car running long enough to install a stereo. haha!

GearheadJim Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:44 am

Mine's a work in progress, don't have speakers or amp installed, started with where to put the head unit

Need to keep the original radio because it looks great:

Then built a fiberglass glove box insert for the real tunes:

Murdlem Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:50 pm

I am running footwell fiberglass speaker holders. I have a photo or two in my gallery if you look through the photos.

jim altemus Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:08 pm

Nothing fancy; an old JVC CD player head unit I picked up for free along with a pair of Kenwood speakers in the front door panels. The part you don't see is the alternator conversion I picked up from The DDB, which I think is necessary if you do anything with a stereo. I MIGHT upgrade the head unit at some point since there is no auxiliary input or iPod/satellite radio integration. I might also install similar speakers in the rear panels for the people in the back seat.

Jim

krusher Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:03 pm

Murdlem wrote: I am running footwell fiberglass speaker holders. I have a photo or two in my gallery if you look through the photos.

MOCHABILL Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:54 pm

Murdlem wrote: I am running footwell fiberglass speaker holders. I have a photo or two in my gallery if you look through the photos.

Are those the ones from the store in Arizona?

DaBlackSamba Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:27 pm

krusher wrote: Murdlem wrote: I am running footwell fiberglass speaker holders. I have a photo or two in my gallery if you look through the photos.

i like thoes, where might i aquire some?

localboy Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:13 pm

Glass Action. http://www.vwinnovations.com/type3.html

If you use them, prepare to trim them in order to make them fit. The quality is "rough". I also ordered extra carpet and covered them seperate from the kit. IMO the normal carpet kits will not fit OVER the covers once installed. I think it's a much cleaner install.

supaninja Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:25 pm

thats real clean mark, when its time for tunes in my type 3 thats how i'm gunna do it.

Levi Harris Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:01 pm

Carpet over fiberglass kick panels.

Powered Subs under the seats.

Rattles the horsehair out pretty good though... Must vacuum more...

supaninja Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:03 pm

dude I hate you, you got A/C :cry:

wynnep Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:41 am

Have it converted into a 180 watt am/fm stereo with rca jacks for ipods, cd players, etc. We use your radio face and case so the radio fits the original opening. Can be configured for 1 to 4 speakers. Cost may be more than your purchase price of the car. $400 for 12 volt system, $500 for 6 volt system. This cost does not include speakers.
Just did a Blankput? radio for a Porsche 356 for a customer and a Shapire radio for my sons 1963 SB.
Didn't want this to sound like an advertisement, but wanted you to know that this kind of system is available.

Mike Fisher Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:06 pm

Put up pics/prices/options in your ads! 8)