TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: which year on fan shroud?
Tripa Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:27 pm

From which year is this fanshroud?
I think it seems to be kinda old but i have no idea :oops: :roll:

glutamodo Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:30 pm

You see that notch at the top of the shroud on the rear(of car) side? That's for the larger air cleaner than was introduced with the 40HP engine. So that's for a stale-air 40HP engine, so like 1961-62 era. (In 63 they had a wider fan shroud without fresh air vents until the big change to fresh air mid-year) And it looks like a 40HP "fat boy" distributor cap and the original rubber pull-through spark plug wire holders too.
-Andy

Russ Wolfe Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:36 pm

Also does not have the second hole for the choke cable.

kreissig Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:08 pm

Andy,

What about the years for a 40hp shroud w/o that notch in the shroud?

Were these just a different manufacturer?

kreissig Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:16 pm

No notch type -

[/img]

kreissig Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:17 pm

Notch -

kreissig Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:29 pm

Is this a late model 36HP fan shroud?

glutamodo Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:06 pm

I'm not exactly sure when it was introduced on Bugs - if it was before the end of model year 1960 or not. The May 1960 Parts manual shows the notch fan shroud and does not list any of the previous shrouds, but with an asterisk indicating it was also for Type 2... The 40HP existed at that time as the "Bastard" engine used on 1960 Transporters, however... you'd think it had it originated for that model, it would have a 211 part number, but it has a 113 number. So it's kind of hard to say.

If it's got the extra hole for the choke cable it's for a 36HP application though. (note that 36HP engines continued to be made in small numbers for Standard models into the mid 60s. Also, not sure exactly which of these shrouds were used on various Industrial engine applications)

Looking it up in the COTC books doesn't show much either. It says new fan shroud and tins for the start of model year 1961, but I think the only change made then was the deletion of that choke cable hole. Before then, COTC has a note from late April 1959, when the extra holes for the spark plug holders were added.

This is an excerpt from the May 1960 parts book showing the 113 part number, and the stale air shroud with the notch AND the extra hole for the choke cable: ( May 60 would have only been just 3 months before the start of the "real" 40HP engine )

-Andy