TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Kamei parcel tray: What is the difference? Page: 1, 2  Next
Dogo Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:20 pm

I've come across a couple of different pics of Kamei parcel trays; one has a long tab running the length and others have 4-5 small tabs. See pics
What's the difference?

Dogo Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:21 pm

BTW, are these coveted at all or not really? What should a nice one go for, ballpark?

rcraigbug Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:58 am

The tray with the 5 tabs had a piece of card board that fit in the tabs and it followed the contour of the body.

Mohawk Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:48 pm

rcraigbug wrote: The tray with the 5 tabs had a piece of card board that fit in the tabs and it followed the contour of the body.

any pictures of this one? i have bin looking for how it, but never seen any pictures.

vwbug1957 Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:07 pm

Does anybody Know how to repair cracks iin these trays?

stale air Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:57 am

vwbug1957 wrote: Does anybody Know how to repair cracks iin these trays?

Eastwoods offers a bunch of plastic repair kits. Check it out..

http://www.eastwood.com/rigid-plastic-repair-kit-clear.html

BlastMasterMannyFresh Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:47 pm

Dogo wrote: BTW, are these coveted at all or not really? What should a nice one go for, ballpark?

the last one I sold was the one with the tabs style, and really good shape, I got $200 for it at a swap meet, Here probably a little more than that.

stale air Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:07 pm

Since we are on the subject, does anyone have a original Kamei catalog showing this style tray in it? I have owned this one for over 20 years, and have yet to know exactly what years they produced this style.

Jake Martinez Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:10 pm

ithink they changed in 64 or 65 cant remember exactly

AlanInMass54 Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:28 am

stale air wrote: Since we are on the subject, does anyone have a original Kamei catalog showing this style tray in it? I have owned this one for over 20 years, and have yet to know exactly what years they produced this style.

My 56 has this same style, it's a metal frame, tons of little hooks holding the mesh inner part in place. There's a masonite-ish backing piece in the back as someone mentioned before that sort of contours to the shape of the bottom of the dash. The one I have has the bracket for the reserve fuel lever though.

Forgot I had some pics in my gallery from several years back. I hope these help.

stale air Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:24 am

AlanInMass54 wrote:

Forgot I had some pics in my gallery from several years back. I hope these help.

It looks like a po must have made that curved wood peice and screwed it onto the tray. Maybe so stuff wouldnt fall onto his feet while driving? :wink:
So, I take it that you are looking for more info on this tray as well? :D
Oh btw, mine has the bracket for the fuel extension also. 8)

AlanInMass54 Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:04 pm

You are correct sir! I've had this one for some time as well and don't know much about it. I can say the masonite thing is a copy my Dad had made of the original which was broken. It certainly looked as old as the tray, but who knows. Actually it's not screwed on, the original had rivited on tabs on it that went behind the tray and folded around the back frame to hold it on. Weird!

VOLKSWAGNUT Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:09 am

I was searching for a parcel tray ID topic. I guess this is the best place for my question.

Any idea who made this one?
It has thumb wheels, and expanding posts to pinch it in place.
Easily installed and removed.
(It has been dyed silver)
It has a fabric net.

Its going in a Volksrod...dont worry about the shifter...
:lol:

stale air Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:51 am

I cant help you on the make of your tray, but I like it. 8) You said that the center portion is net, is the outer frame aluminum? Or, does it just look like that because someone painted it?

VOLKSWAGNUT Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:49 am

Im going to have to inspect it a little closer.
Pretty sure its steel, covered with material.
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote: (It has been dyed silver)

Funny thing is I received this with a truckload of parts when I picked up my 61 Convertible, years ago. It had Silver, not gray, not biege, but literally shiny silver vinyl seat covers with red piping.

It sure fits nicely in a Sedan.
I never tried it in a Convertible. It shouldnt fit it due to the extra inner front quarter support.

beetleman217 Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:15 pm

Is the Kamei tray with the tie type mesh earlier than the solid plastic mesh? I have a feeling the former is oval era while the latter is 60's era?

beetleman217 Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:10 am

Anyone? :shock:

VOLKSWAGNUT Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:19 pm

Good luck, dont expect fast results...in this topic..... I've been waiting a while now myself... :)

zozo Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:46 pm

I had a '62 with the plastic type. I bought the car from the OG owner, and he said it was installed as an add on at purchase in Germany. The tray was ruined, and the stripped frame is hanging on the garage wall. Macramé' anyone? Lol

classiccult Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:50 am

I have some information for you.

@VOLKSWAGNUT - Yours is from GHE. See GHE Happich brochure 1959.

@beetleman217
1959 GHE Happich brochure: Kamei with 2 screws to hold the card board and solid plastic mesh.
1960 Gute Fahrt Magazine: Kamei with 0 screws and 0 tabs to hold the card board and tie type mesh.
1963 Gute Fahrt Magazine: Kamei with 3 tabs to hold the card board and solid plastic mesh.
1966 Gute Fahrt Magazine: Kamei with smaller card board mounted on the rear of parcel tray and solid plastic mesh.

I think Kamei made the parcel tray with the tie type mesh and the solid plastic mesh at the same time.

More info: http://www.classiccult.com/blog/vw-bug-parcel-tray.html