TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1967 VW Blue L633 fender beading color? Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
1-4-3-2 Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:46 am

Does anyone know the correct fender beading color for a 67 beetle painted vw blue L633? Any original cars out there? The WolfsburgWest color charts don't specify. The chart calls for a black running board mat and doesn't the mat usually match the beading? I used black for my restoration, but I want it to be correct.

DHMaher Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:18 pm

Pretty sure the beading should match the paint color on a 67. They went to black later. You have a few options though: you can sport black like the rest of us whose paint color isn't one of 4 or so bead colors readily available or you can use a flexible vinyl spray paint and try to match it.

Good luck!

1-4-3-2 Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:06 am

I can't believe all of the research and documentation I've done for my 67 and I overlooked the fender beading. How do you think the WW gulf blue beading will look? I'm not good with shades because of being colorblind.

I guess it will be better than black. Did VW make specific VW Blue beading for the 67 & 68 beetles(a 2 year color)? I would think it would have been a close blue color they already had.

DHMaher Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:53 pm

Personally I think black looks better than another blue color that's not quite right. Just my opinion. The black matches the running boards and looks great with a dark color like your blue. It's all good until you can find the right beading or paint it, or just leave it, lots of people are running black beading, you won't stand out.

67 Florida Deluxe Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:15 pm

1-4-3-2 wrote: Does anyone know the correct fender beading color for a 67 beetle painted vw blue L633? Any original cars out there? The WolfsburgWest color charts don't specify. The chart calls for a black running board mat and doesn't the mat usually match the beading? I used black for my restoration, but I want it to be correct.

The running board mat does not always match the fender beading. They are usually a contrasting color, but could also be black. For example, Lotus White has Savannah Beige running boards, but they could also be black. My Zenith Blue car with all original everyting had color matched fender beading but the running board mats were a darker blue color, which contrasted very well. I believe the correct running board mat color for VW Blue is black, yet the fender bead should still be body colored. Same for Yukon Yellow and Ruby Red. Oh wait... yes, there was ONE color that had matched running board mats, paint and fender bead... L41 "Black" :D

DHMaher wrote: Pretty sure the beading should match the paint color on a 67. They went to black later.

True about the beading matching the paint. However, they were also black until 1961. VW got "colorful" in the '60s with fender beading, running board mats and even steering wheels (on some early '60s cars)

DHMaher wrote: Personally I think black looks better than another blue color that's not quite right. Just my opinion. The black matches the running boards and looks great with a dark color like your blue. It's all good until you can find the right beading or paint it.

X2

neil68 Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:07 pm

The L620 Savanna Beige '67 also had matching Savanna Beige running board mats and Savanna Beige beading...

1-4-3-2 Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:46 am

Changed the black beading to VW Blue.

I think it looks so much better. :D

bill may Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:15 am

1-4-3-2 wrote: Changed the black beading to VW Blue.

I think it looks so much better. :D

so you painted the correct black fender beading vw blue?? shame.

bill may Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:16 am

DHMaher wrote: Pretty sure the beading should match the paint color on a 67. They went to black later. You have a few options though: you can sport black like the rest of us whose paint color isn't one of 4 or so bead colors readily available or you can use a flexible vinyl spray paint and try to match it.

Good luck!
Wrong Guess.
black is correct for 1967 painted vw blue.

1-4-3-2 Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:37 am

Here is an origianl paint car with blue beading.
http://www.wolfsburgvw.com/photos.asp?vwid=99
Also this car.
http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/2384055451.html

aircooled Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:55 am

These pictures are of an unrestored 67 convertible with your color and the correct color for the beading is black.

Your 67 looks very nice, however by the location of the horn grills the front fenders look to be aftermarket.

pb_foots Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:16 am

FWIW, I like the blue better. Correct, not correct, whatever. It looks nice.

bill may Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:15 am

1-4-3-2 wrote: Here is an origianl paint car with blue beading.
http://www.wolfsburgvw.com/photos.asp?vwid=99
Also this car.
http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/2384055451.html
in the first link there are 20 pictures. i found minumum of 1 incorrect thing in each of the 20 pictures.
in 2nd link it does not have correct color of paint on the wheels.
if you can find a correct 67 vw as the one aircooled posted then tell me again about what is correct about 1967 vw beetles,please.

bill may Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:17 am

aircooled wrote: These pictures are of an unrestored 67 convertible with your color and the correct color for the beading is black.

Your 67 looks very nice, however by the location of the horn grills the front fenders look to be aftermarket.

i like the fact that this 67 has correct year of hinge pins instead of 1968 type like the other 67. nice example aircooled/richard.

6Kabrio7 Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:08 am

The fender beading on that Euro 67 was painted blue and is flaking off

1-4-3-2 Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:29 pm

pb_foots wrote: FWIW, I like the blue better. Correct, not correct, whatever. It looks nice.

Thank you!

1-4-3-2 Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:31 pm

bill may wrote: aircooled wrote: These pictures are of an unrestored 67 convertible with your color and the correct color for the beading is black.

i like the fact that this 67 has correct year of hinge pins instead of 1968 type like the other 67. nice example aircooled/richard.
That is my car, when the beading was black.

potentvw Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:56 pm

1432 your 67 is beautiful and looks great with the CORRECT colored fender beading. For those who may not know. Starting in 61, all beetle colors had color matched fender beading. 60 and earlier was black. The colored beading lasted into the mid 70's or so.

6Kabrio7 Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:38 pm

potentvw wrote: 1432 your 67 is beautiful and looks great with the CORRECT colored fender beading. For those who may not know. Starting in 61, all beetle colors had color matched fender beading. 60 and earlier was black. The colored beading lasted into the mid 70's or so. Shouldn't you provide us with your sources before claiming "ALL" beetles had matching colored beading? I think if anyone would know here it would be Bill May.

aircooled Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:27 am

Bottom line "All" beetles having colored beading from mid 61 on is just flat wrong. There are plenty of examples of unrestored factory paint beetles including original VW pictures with black beading. As far the question that started this tread colored beading is wrong for that car, however if the owner likes it that is all that really matters.