TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Lets see your stucks! Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
duncanstives Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:34 pm

Stever70 mentioned in his thread about his 4x4 bus project that we should have a "stuck" thread... I said I could not make it because I had not gotten my VW stuck yet...

That changed today :D

Everyone post some pics of how they got their VW (or other vehicle) stuck!

I'll start:
This is a hill on my property... Photos do not do it justice because it is not really all that steep... My neighbor made it up in a stock 4wd with only a little trouble when it was dry... Problem is that it rained HEAVILY last night... My first couple of runs were just enough to get the adrenalin flowing but by the third run the water flowing down the hill had been mized so thuroughly with the goopy clay that if I had been foolish enough to set one foot on the "road" I would have started sliding and not stopped until I was in the pond at the bottom.
I tried to make it up and lost traction 3/4 of the way up... I managed to roll back so I was sideways and then go forward making a semi controlled descent. The next two tries resulting in an uncontrolled set of 360 degree spins down the hill with only frantic last second throttle, steering and a lot of luck keeping me out of the pond (incidentally I was really happy I had the harness installed!).
This picture was the result of the fourth try.... Rolled back over a log that was on the hill and was stuck... Some dragging the front around and pulling out logs and branches and I was able to go back down eventually making it up at WOT the whole way in the brush beside the road and I had lost so much momentum by the time I reached the top that I probably wasnt going 2mph. Fun times :)

This next one was just poor driving: Doing a victory lap around another trail I made for my jeep (being a jeep trail it was more narrow and technical.. Not really made for a rail) I struck a trees with the front tire at about 15mph and broke a tie rod and bent a steel rim.
The wheels are not supposed to point at each other!

I went out right away and bought a new tie rod (nice to have a buggy shop like 3 miles from my house... LOL)... I will install it in the morning and I think I can hammer the bent rim back into shap... All and all my morning ride was totally worth it: $25 for all that fun? Hell yes.

Now some stucks from the rest of the fleet (in no particular order):

This one was trying to roller over and play dead!

I can't even say I did not know it was deep :roll:

Most stupid thing ever: Trying to remove a rock from under the diff of a jeep on a steep unstable hill. BY HAND

I did avoid an untimely delimbing... Mostly via dumb luck.

Finally: Remember how I said I already knew that hole was deep... It because I had taken a vehicle into it before... This one got out under its own power... Most of it got out anyway:

Rowdy70 Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:01 pm

not mine, but i bet this guy aint goin nowhere
lol

kbwakesk8 Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:37 pm

By kbwakesk8 at 2007-11-27

5 people and wrong tires :roll:

duncanstives Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:43 pm

Wow! That's stuck... Makes me wanna go get my buggy out of the woods before nature claims it!

duncanstives Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:07 pm

kbwakesk8 wrote:

5 people and wrong tires :roll:

Well at least you got 5 people to help! Hell 5 people could probably pick up and move a Vw!

That said I'd take a 4wd for sand (not that there is any sand around here)... Not because I think it would perform better but more because I would leave it in 2wd until I just started to lose traction (but before it got buried) then hopefully I could put it in 4wd and avoid a serious stuck... That's my theory anyway... Lol

KrAzY-BaJa Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:54 pm

:lol:

pafree Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:56 pm

my son and nephew told my brother in law that he could make it through the ditch. they were wrong.

OutCasted Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:01 pm

Rowdy70 wrote: not mine, but i bet this guy aint goin nowhere
lol

Here's its twins!!
http://hoaxblog.s3.amazonaws.com/treebike.jpg
http://greenerloudoun.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/vw-and-tree.jpg?w=522&h=433
http://www.roadtransport.com/blogs/big-lorry-blog/vw.JPG

jeepguy Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:32 am

probably my worst stuck

i started to come out of it. now that i have a front locker i could probably make it but i am more into rock crawling now

jeepguy Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:35 am

this one was pretty bad too

my friend stuck in his 4 runner

sloboatnova Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:21 am

Heres my latest. This was 2 weeks ago at Disney, ok. Engine case flooded with water and stalled out.

Heres my buddy Travis that same day.

And another mud hole

And then, the roll over. It was a very exciting day.

nomis Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:43 pm

Here are a few from the members of bajaclub.co.uk:

And a quick series on how to get REALLY stuck:

nomis Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:55 pm

And a quick 2 on 1 baja recovery:

(P.S. check out the wheel hop on the car on the right - reduction box set up)

And finding out how slippery wet timber is:

(a whole lotta flooring got it off in the end :wink: )

stever70 Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:19 pm

I was smiling all the way through this thread...that was DAMN entertaining. I have been pretty stuck in my jeep, unfortunatly, no pics to put up :cry:

thesatelliteguy Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:16 pm

I made it through. He didnt.

stever70 Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:49 pm

WRONG line!!! LOL I hope that I dont see my bus like that, but it could happen :lol:

Paul Wilson Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:20 pm

Not the worst spot that I have been but one I remember well.
uglyoffroader

Adrenaline Junky Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:20 pm

This thread is just good entertainment!!!

jbreddawg Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:04 pm

Mines been stuck in the garage for the last three years :roll:

Great thread !! Hope I can actually be in it one day :D

chubby53 Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:23 pm

jbreddawg wrote: Mines been stuck in the garage for the last three years :roll:

Great thread !! Hope I can actually be in it one day :D

feel your pain, mine has also been stuck in the shop.