TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: O ring for the Governor and temp sensor?
sharkskinman Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:04 pm

did a bunch of stuff to the car today
noticed the Tranny is leaking at the governor cap?
anyone know the size of it
or what i would look up to find it??

also
Why dose my 71 F.I. car have an L-jet connector (2 wires red/wht and wht/grn i think)
for the temp sensor for the cold start?

L-Jet wasnt out till 74 right?

seems to be the OG harness

whats #7 and the one at the cap

is this the correct one?
Quote: 003 325 381 GOVENOR O-RING 003 & 010 AUTO TRANS
Quote: 1971 VOLKSWAGEN FASTBACK 1.6L 1584cc 97cid H4 FI [U] : Transmission-Automatic : Governor Bearing Wiki Price
NATIONAL Part # 221040 More Information About this Part Oil Seal; Nitrile Seal, Shaft Size=0.394", Housing Bore=0.748, Outer Diameter=0.756, Width=0.276in
VW 003 3 Spd. Automatic Transaxl

Russ Wolfe Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:37 am

It takes a special tool to replace that #7. It has to be installed to the proper depth. If it is not leaking ATF into the differential, don't screw with it.

sharkskinman Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:56 am

i want to change the outer O ring
thats for the governor cap

might have to take the one off my 411 for reference

Russ Wolfe Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:56 am

Take an old oring with you, and most parts stores should be able to match it up.

raygreenwood Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:57 am

sharkskinman wrote: i want to change the outer O ring
thats for the governor cap

might have to take the one off my 411 for reference

#7....as Russ note....is the governor shaft seal. It should only be replaced when you (a) separate the two gear box sections to renew all the seal because yes the depth of that seal muct be measured and set correctly and (b) if its known to be leaking into the differential...which will be a death sentence if not corrected quick.

The diagram you have does not appear to show the governor cover seal. I will look in my diagram after lunch today and get a part # and size. Do not take one from your 411. A used o-ring is a used o-ring. This is about $1 worth. Buy a new one. Ray

sharkskinman Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:00 am

the one off my 411 would be for reference
but if it comesout shredded then.
also its not leaking on the 411 so i dont want to mess with it

Ray get me those part #s ike we talked about on the phone
:D

Russ Wolfe Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:01 am

In fact, I do not even recommend removing the govenor if at all possible. The drive dog on the end of the shaft have been known to fall into the differential.

sharkskinman Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:02 pm

so there is a clip for the cover
BUT its all bolted together

is it possible to take the clip and outer 2 bolts out and Just take the cap off

VW 003 PDF...with part #s
http://www.jpat.co.uk/VWAudi%20003.pdf

Russ Wolfe Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:38 pm

That illustration you show, is for a bus automatic.
The governor on a T-3, is only held on by the bail. There are 2 bolts underneath the cover but those hold the governor together. Do not mess with those.

Clean the area good around the governor cover. Take the bail off, take the cover off, remove the old oring with a dental pick. Get a replacement oring at your local NAPA or equiv. store. The one you take out will be slightly flat, but originally it was round. Clean the oring groove with a Q-tip. Lightly grease the new oring. Install it in the groove. Re-install the cover. It will snap in past the oring, and seal on the backside of the bulge in the cover.
Re-install the bail.
The cover has to be all the way in place. It is a bearing thrust surface for the governor, when it is spinning.

davis911s Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:14 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: It takes a special tool to replace that #7. It has to be installed to the proper depth. If it is not leaking ATF into the differential, don't screw with it.

Ok my transmission was completely rebuilt. When I re-installed it I am getting ATF into the diff.

Removed the engine, Took the tranny back to the shop and the resealed it all. I re-installed it and you guessed it, SAME THING

So I know it is the governor seal.

What is this special tool? What is the correct depth. My trans is in a 73 Bus. I REALLY DO NOT want to have to pull the engine and transmission out again.

I am hoping to be able to do this while they are still in the bus.

PLEASE HELP

davis911s Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:40 pm

Nobody knows the depth or tool required??

ddare Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:37 pm

I've got a very healthy ATF leak apparently coming from my governor cover. I don't believe I am getting ATF into the differential, but it is getting all over the driveway & garage. If I understand the function of each of these seals, that simply means I need to install a new o-ring for the cover, not part #7 above, correct?

FYI, I don't know if this is the correct depth, but I just measured the depth of the seal with a caliper on a parts transmission and got 66.38mm. I did not find any specs in the Bentley.

Bobnotch Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:20 pm

ddare wrote: I've got a very healthy ATF leak apparently coming from my governor cover. I don't believe I am getting ATF into the differential, but it is getting all over the driveway & garage. If I understand the function of each of these seals, that simply means I need to install a new o-ring for the cover, not part #7 above, correct?

Yes.

paradox_pete Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:43 pm

I recently replaced the governor o-ring on my 1970 square. I found a 90mm ID 3mm cross section o-ring seemed to be the proper size.