TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Molly, my Ruby red 63' bug score! Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
jays58s Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:13 pm

Here is my new pride & joy, an original ruby red 63' bug.......

It still has the original trans and 40hp motor, it's all still 6v, all original German square weave carpet is still in tact, all the original rubber mats are still in good shape, the original headliner is perfect. looks to be painted once sort of because of some paint on the gas tank & fender beading but it's bled through to the primer and looks like the original paint but hard to tell so I'm not sure of the story there, everything except the dome light works, the 6v/12v am radio works, and it's by far the nicest one I've owned yet! It has never been in an accident, it's suuuuper straight. lol The ONLY hint of rust is some very minor bubbling on the driver side door but that's it, not even under the battery! I had to tune it up a lil, change the oil, it needs some gear oil, and just a few other minor adjustments. I have some adjusters that I need to weld in but I'll probably leave everything else. I did put a Berg shifter in it but I'll keep the stock one just in case I ever want to swap it back. I just came in from the garage from hand polishing it. I did the whole driver side minus the rear fender......

Cody1963 Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:30 am

Nice score! I also have a 63', great year!

GERMANAIRE Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:23 am

Nice find! :D Good Luck with the build! 8)

jays58s Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:05 am

Thanks! I'm excited to get this one all cleaned up!

stale air Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:15 am

Nice one! I dig the ruby red cars.
Make sure you post pics once its all rubbed out. :)

jays58s wrote: I did put a Berg shifter in it but I'll keep the stock one just in case I ever want to swap it back.

You didnt cut the tunnel mat to install it did you??? :cry:

jays58s Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:25 am

stale air wrote: Nice one! I dig the ruby red cars.

jays58s wrote: I did put a Berg shifter in it but I'll keep the stock one just in case I ever want to swap it back.

It was torn pretty bad in that spot already, someone might have been to lazy to pull the shifter out the right way. :(

stale air Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:35 am

jays58s wrote: stale air wrote: Nice one! I dig the ruby red cars.

It was torn pretty bad in that spot already, someone might have been to lazy to pull the shifter out the right way. :(

Thats cool, I just remember back in the 80's everyone was putting those shitty Scat Dragfast shifters in everything and were ruining the tunnel mats in the process. :)

jays58s Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:43 am

I know, the Berg shifters are the only aftermarket shifters I like but I may still put the original one back in. It even has the gray boot on it still! Someone ripped the original e-brake boot out too, you can see the remnants under the tunnel part of the mat. :cry:

vic Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:40 am

looks like a nice solid car, try to preserve as much of it as you can

jays58s Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:51 am

vic wrote: looks like a nice solid car, try to preserve as much of it as you can

Definitely! This one is staying as is, just gonna clean her up & make her shine!

Rich's 50 Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:32 pm

Nice 8)

silvertonguedevil Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:44 pm

Awww man....that's a nice car!! :shock:

will s. Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:43 am

Bring it over and I can chop the top for ya! :lol: :lol: :lol:

jays58s Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:44 pm

will s. wrote: Bring it over and I can chop the top for ya! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let's do it! :lol:

jays58s Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:28 pm

It's getting there! I did some more buffing on the paint and cleaning of the interior. Man, Castrol Super Clean works awesome! I'll take some pics of the interior tomorrow but here's the bug so far......

jaye70 Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:39 am

very envious mate!.......always wanted an unmolested example..........well done dude :D

will s. Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:46 am

jaye70 wrote: very envious mate!.......always wanted an unmolested example..........well done dude :D

Can we do something about the 5 spokes?

jaye70 Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:05 am

will s. wrote: jaye70 wrote: very envious mate!.......always wanted an unmolested example..........well done dude :D

Can we do something about the 5 spokes?
yeah!..........change em to fuchs! :lol:

jmsmilin Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:14 am

just drop that front

[email protected] Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:54 am

I like your car.
give it the stance my 63 has.

I wish mine had the proper patina that yours has