TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: GPS Speedometer Page: 1, 2  Next
MiketheSpike Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Hey guys,

was browsing around and found GPS speedometers on:
www.speedhut.com

But, they are like $250+

Anyone know where to find something similar for less?

Mad_Scientist Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:48 pm

I remember seeing something like that offered from Auto Meter. in the marine section. Don't remember the cost though. I was looking for something like that for a truck I was building. I like this one best of all I have seen though.

sloboatnova Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:59 pm

Many regular GPS have MPH

Mad_Scientist Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:05 pm

The problem with those are the display is too small for everyday use

dixon_cass Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:39 pm

i used a garmin that was probablly 2 by 3 for a speedo on a chopper i built. it had a screen you could go to that was just a speedo and very easy to see.

greg mgm Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:14 pm

Those Speedhut speedos look great. I may get one of those for my baja.

BTW, sometimes insurance companies will ask for the current odo reading, so having an odometer is definitely a good idea.

tko Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:31 pm

the down side of a GPS Speedo is that you can reset the odo, making the lack of a true odo illegal.

Lotrat Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:00 pm

tko wrote: the down side of a GPS Speedo is that you can reset the odo, making the lack of a true odo illegal.

Check your local laws.

In CA, Reporting the odometer mileage reading is encouraged, but not mandatory if:
* the vehicle is 10 years old or older

Disclosure that the actual mileage is unknown if the transferor knows that the odometer reading is different from different from the number of miles the vehicle has actually traveled.

There are 2 boxes on a CA title. Pick one when it comes time to sell:

# Exceeds Mechanical Limits—the odometer has reached the highest number mechanically available and has started renumbering at 1. (In other words, the odometer has "rolled over.")

# Not Actual Mileage—the odometer is broken or has been replaced, or the current owner is unsure of the true mileage.

V C Section 28053 Repair of Odometer Required Information
Repair of Odometer: Required Information

28053. (a) Nothing in this article prevents the service, repair, or replacement of an odometer, if the mileage indicated thereon remains the same as before the service, repair, or replacement. If the odometer is incapable of registering the same mileage as before the service, repair, or replacement, the odometer shall be adjusted to read zero and a notice in writing shall be attached to the left doorframe of the vehicle by the person performing the service, repair, or replacement specifying the mileage prior to the service, repair or replacement of the odometer and the date on which it was serviced, repaired, or replaced.

(b) No person shall fail to adjust an odometer or affix a notice regarding the adjustment as required by subdivision (a).

(c) No person shall, with intent to defraud, remove or alter any notice affixed to a vehicle pursuant to subdivision (a).
Repealed and Added, Ch. 130, Stats. 1987. Effective January 1, 1988.

V C Section 28050.5 Operation With Nonfunctional Odometer Prohibited
Operation With Nonfunctional Odometer Prohibited

28050.5. It is unlawful for any person with the intent to defraud to operate a motor vehicle on any street or highway knowing that the odometer of such vehicle is disconnected or nonfunctional.
Added Ch. 1210, Stats. 1967. Effective November 8, 1967.

Other than your insurance company wanting to know how many miles you drive, a 30+ year old car doesn't need a working ODO. If you have big tires, its wrong anyway. Again, check your local laws.

tko Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:15 pm

From my LE perspective it is illegal in my state, similar to your section " C Section 28050.5 Operation With Nonfunctional Odometer Prohibited
Operation With Nonfunctional Odometer Prohibited " Youd be amazed ho many people i stop and they have not working gear.. However you have much more detail listed that I do Well done Lotrat

Lotrat Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:26 pm

tko wrote: From my LE perspective it is illegal in my state, similar to your section " C Section 28050.5 Operation With Nonfunctional Odometer Prohibited
Operation With Nonfunctional Odometer Prohibited " Youd be amazed ho many people i stop and they have not working gear.. However you have much more detail listed that I do Well done Lotrat

Would you ticket someone with an old car with a busted ODO? How would a LEO even know to check? How would you check?

The intent of the law is to prevent scams on newer car with high miles. A 30+ year old car could have a bazillion miles for all anyone knows. Anyone with oversized tires could be ticketed for odometer fraud.

carlos_magnum Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:28 pm

I like it's multi function, though I think it's quite pricey.

Mal evolent Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:10 am

if the pan came from one car
the body from a different year
the trans from a bus
the engine is a 1915
and the front beam is aftermarket...
what difference does odometer milage make? it's a meaningless number of Frankencars

mattfarmer Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:57 pm

Has anyone actually installed & used one of these GPS speedo's from speedhut? http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR338-GPS-01/1/GPS-Speedometer-Gauge-120mph

They look sweet, but I wonder if they can handle off road abuse?

no1clyde Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:11 pm

I am using a Lowrance fish finder for my GPS and speedometer. It works great and was $199.

The speed is the 0.00 at the top.

Ed

Axitech Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:47 pm

mattfarmer wrote: Has anyone actually installed & used one of these GPS speedo's from speedhut? http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR338-GPS-01/1/GPS-Speedometer-Gauge-120mph

They look sweet, but I wonder if they can handle off road abuse?

Rumor has it a fat guy is gonna climb down my chimney with one in about 8 weeks!

terryly Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:17 pm

I used this from Dakota digital works good and have the GPS speedo
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=...prd235.htm

Terry

mattfarmer Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:26 am

Nice!!! That looks great!

DirtDgr Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:25 pm

There are phone apps too that work pretty good with big numbers.

I used one in our Class 11 race care until I got a full on HDS Lowrance

sloboatnova Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:14 am

I used an app called DigiHUD (android app) this weekend and it worked well. You can have a small background display over any other app so I could use LocusPro for my GPX and then see digihud speedo over the top.

mattfarmer Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:40 am

I kind of wanted a gauge that fit in the original dash, but my 68 dash is 110mm not 85mm... none of the VDO, speedhut, or others I like come in that size.

That chrome thing the gauge fits into pops out right?