TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Interesting Gas Cap
53 0val Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:50 pm

Anyone know anything about this cap that showed up in the Classifieds today?

hazetguy Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:52 pm

maybe it's the partial solar eclipse version of the sunburst cap? i do know that the asking price is 95 Euro.

i saw that and thought it was neat, whatever it is.

53 0val Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:57 pm

hazetguy wrote: maybe it's the partial solar eclipse version of the sunburst cap? i do know that the asking price is 95 Euro.

i saw that and thought it was neat, whatever it is.

Partial eclipse........................I like that. 8)

sub-hatchtim Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:24 pm

it was a dealer option

Jake Martinez Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:05 pm

What era would have 110mm?

53 0val Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:18 pm

Jake Martinez wrote: What era would have 110mm?

That's why I asked the question. Unless the seller posted it incorrectly (which is possible) I have no idea what that would fit. I've not seen it before, but not wanting to spend the time getting the dent out of it......is why I didn't buy it. When you get old............you get lazy. :D (someone bought it soon after I posted)

Jake Martinez Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:25 pm

how do you even take the caps apart? that cap in picture doesnt look like a bad dent. looks like you could get it back to its original condition.

53 0val Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:34 pm

Jake Martinez wrote: how do you even take the caps apart? that cap in picture doesnt look like a bad dent. looks like you could get it back to its original condition.

You have to un-crimp it and work it back to shape..............it's a little work and that dent was worse than the picture I posted. The metal was stretched and it would have been tough to shrink it back down. I've messed around with those before and there's a point of "no return" if you know what I mean. Maybe the seller can post up the other pictures now that it's been sold. I didn't want to link the actual ad in case someone was negotiating the deal at the time.

Kais Collection Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:33 am

I'm sure the outside diameter of the cap was 110mm, and that it would fit the 100mm gas tank.

restojohnny Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:41 am

yes that cap fit's 100mm big neck tanks 55 & earlier except for zwitter tanks ofcourse :wink:

KTPhil Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:25 am

Or maybe a small accessory gas tank?

srm1956 Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:35 pm

Hello Carl (53 Oval) I was the one that bought the cap. When I saw the ad, I know the seller meant 100mm in the listing. And It is a 100mm gas cap. I knew the cap was flattened a little, But it wasn't that bad. And One day I'll work it out. Being something that odd I knew I had to have it. I started a topic asking about this cap, But I didn't see this one (thanks for steering me to this topic. hazetguy). To make a long story short my topic got locked / froz :? So I'll post the question here.

I have recently acquired this ODD 100mm gas cap (circled in red). It is a mix of a regular 100mm logo gas cap (left) and an 100mm sunburst cog wheel gas cap (right). I have named it a "5 point". I have asked around if anyone had any info on this cap like what it went to (IE - bug, bus, military, or some special vehicle) but no one seems to know or have ever seen one. I have been toying around with VW’s for 23+ years and have never seen another gas cap like this one. I thought the sunburst cog wheel gas caps were rare? If anyone has any info on this gas cap please let me know. Thanks for your time. Spencer Mc.

If this was a dealer offered item, Then on what ? offered where ? why don't we see more / any of them out there ? These questions may never be answered. But I thought I would give it a try.

53 0val Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:58 pm

srm1956 wrote: Hello Carl (53 Oval) I was the one that bought the cap. When I saw the ad, I know the seller meant 100mm in the listing. And It is a 100mm gas cap. I knew the cap was flattened a little, But it wasn't that bad. And One day I'll work it out. Being something that odd I knew I had to have it. I started a topic asking about this cap, But I didn't see this one (thanks for steering me to this topic. hazetguy). To make a long story short my topic got locked / froz :? So I'll post the question here.

I have recently acquired this ODD 100mm gas cap (circled in red). It is a mix of a regular 100mm logo gas cap (left) and an 100mm sunburst cog wheel gas cap (right). I have named it a "5 point". I have asked around if anyone had any info on this cap like what it went to (IE - bug, bus, military, or some special vehicle) but no one seems to know or have ever seen one. I have been toying around with VW’s for 23+ years and have never seen another gas cap like this one. I thought the sunburst cog wheel gas caps were rare? If anyone has any info on this gas cap please let me know. Thanks for your time. Spencer Mc.

If this was a dealer offered item, Then on what ? offered where ? why don't we see more / any of them out there ? These questions may never be answered. But I thought I would give it a try.

I've collected VW accessories for over 20 years and I've not see anything like it before. I'm thinking it might be specific to a particular area that imported early VW's. :? I'm guessing a South American connection. Australia had many "regional" accessories as well.

Jake Martinez Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:38 pm

I'm thinking its just a earlier design for the cog cap with the side grip being the same as the regular 100mm cap then later on after people were buying them they improved the cog cap with more cogs and did without the quarter like side grip.

I could be completly wrong though. But makes sence except to jon I prolly confused the hell out of him. :lol: :lol:

53 0val Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:46 pm

Hey Spencer.....

I saw the gas cap at the Classic. It looks great! (car was nice too) :wink:

Bob

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/936155.jpg

Richard Roth Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:50 pm

I have seen a few Australian caps before and they all have kangaroos stamped next to the VW logo in the center of the inside.

Fishynos72 Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:37 pm

Yep we have kangaroos on most of the fuel and plastic parts made austrlia. The cap in the first photo is dealer option, extreamly expensive at the time meant few sold. Friend of mine has a each size NOS in boxes. They're the only ones I'd ever come across.

magiceddie88 Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:30 pm

Re-pop after market or dealer or...is on my 1957 Ovals tank, is aluminum.

EverettB Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:45 pm

^^^
Looks stock to me