TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Twin Plug Dual distributor build Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Ninamashr Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:22 pm

Well it fits nicely. I'm planning on having the drive assy coated in a Type III Hard Anodize finish. It should come out a semigloss black color to match the twin 019's.

I also plan on removing the old oil filter you see on the shroud. My 2 coils will take up that space with a custom made bracket.

Glenn Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:24 pm

I just came in my pants... that looks awesome. I hope you workout the details and i'd love to see that in person.

WickedWagens Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:31 pm

Wow! you have the full setup there.

earthquake Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:52 pm

NinaM
Is your throttle linkage progressive or does it open all the butterfly's at the same time? that is a cool looking set up you have there.

Casey

Ninamashr Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:52 pm

Thx Glenn, I like it alot, hopefully I won't have any issues. Casey it's a progressive system , it's called a Tri-Power. :-)

EMPIFLAKE Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:04 pm

Ninamashr wrote: Thx Glenn, I like it alot, hopefully I won't have any issues. Casey it's a progressive system , it's called a Tri-Power. :-) Thats kick asssss!! Any plans on making a few of these on a special order :wink: I would love to have thatsetup on my 36! Im gonna be runnin the ww kit do you think it would benefit from dual dizz? eitherway it would look awsome! Well done Nin 8)

Speedsterboy Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:25 am

That is just sooooooooooo coooooool!

Ninamashr Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:31 am

EMPIFLAKE wrote: Thats kick asssss!! Any plans on making a few of these on a special order :wink: I would love to have thatsetup on my 36! Im gonna be runnin the ww kit do you think it would benefit from dual dizz? eitherway it would look awsome! Well done Nin 8)

I've been thinking about whether or not to make a drive kit available. There is alot of time and machine work involved so I wouldn't want to make a complete one. I have the cad file and the cnc program already done, for the housing and cover so I can make those two items very easily. All that would be required to finish the kit is the materials list and a lathe. But that's all in the future, right now I want to run it and see how it works before I decide on anything.
Empi, I believe the only way to see real results from a dual dist is for higher compression engines, you might want to talk to Jake Raby he knows ALOT about twin plug systems.

73 KAFER Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:21 pm

Ninamashr wrote: Well it fits nicely. I'm planning on having the drive assy coated in a Type III Hard Anodize finish. It should come out a semigloss black color to match the twin 019's.

I also plan on removing the old oil filter you see on the shroud. My 2 coils will take up that space with a custom made bracket.

That is sweet. All I can say.

Mark

morymob Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:42 am

At a local show last month this outfit had a live demo of their ignition'plasma'add-on to your stock ign etc. If used with stock can be turned off for normal use. This unit had one hot spark and a loud crack when plug fired. Their product 'talk' about dyno testing supposedly increased fuel burn in cyl to hi 90's %.One demo setup was with a chevy-8cyl dizzy as it is self contained with coil and electronics, very impressive. U can google their web site at:
http://www.bluephoenix.biz or [email protected]

grueni Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:14 am

Ninamashr wrote:
So the dist shaft rotates at half the engine speed? If that's true then lubricating with some thin oil should work.

for sure it is a 4 stroke ;)

how do you want do lock the dizzie's? in the mounted pic the hole shaft is in the gearcase.

oval56 Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:40 am

Glenn wrote: I just came in my pants... that looks awesome. I hope you workout the details and i'd love to see that in person.

X2 :!:

impressive work :!:

Gary Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:46 am

If possible, a video of this setup in action once you're finished would be the icing on the cake for us admirers.

Ninamashr Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:39 pm

grueni wrote: Ninamashr wrote:
So the dist shaft rotates at half the engine speed? If that's true then lubricating with some thin oil should work.

for sure it is a 4 stroke ;)

how do you want do lock the dizzie's? in the mounted pic the hole shaft is in the gearcase.

The pic is just for clearance issues. The inside of the drive is not assembled yet,that's why it has a hole. As soon as the anodize is finished I'll be able to proceed with assembling the inside. I'm still at least a week or 2 from finishing. I can't wait!

Ninamashr Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:42 pm

Gary wrote: If possible, a video of this setup in action once you're finished would be the icing on the cake for us admirers.

Yeah, i was thinking of a vid of the inside of dizzy #2 spining away as the engine is running on dizzy #1. I've never seen that before.

Ninamashr Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:53 pm

A little more progress...

I decided to paint the dist instead of anodizing. I thought that anodizing will look a little too modern in the engine compartment.

Here is the intermediate gear, bushings, and shaft...

The lid assy with the intermediate gear pressed in

I also added a sight glass on top so I can check the oil level and check the condition of the gears

I'll be installing the 019 dist shaft gears later tonight, more pics to follow...

Danpa Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:52 pm

Looking Good! I think you're right about the painting vs. anodizing. Paint should look more "vintage".

Did you ever figure out what to do about lubrication?

Ninamashr Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:22 pm

Gears have been pinned to the dist shafts. They rotate sooo easily, you barely move one, and the other one moves in exact unison. No delays, I'm getting pretty happy about the build...

Danpa, I was thinking of tapping into the engine oil for lubrication, but, I've decide to just go with an oil spalsh system. There won't be any torque on the gears, there fore no generation of extreme heat. That's why the sight glass was added to the lid, now the condition of the gears and oil level can be easily checked visually. If it's low it'll also be the oil fill hole.

Next is extending the main drive shaft of dist #1. :wink:

Ninamashr Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:12 am

Here's how to extend the dist shaft...

Cut out the chamfer on the bottom and bore a hole...

Take a spare shaft turn it down to and make an insertion pin at the end...

Insert the pin into the shaft you are using...

Press the pin and fusion weld the seam

All done...

blacktruck Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:45 am

no wonder I can't get anything done.....no fusion welding gear :shock:

This project almost makes the tri power seem like old news.

One of the first things I check for updates on :D