TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How do I remove dash from 1974 Super beetle?
alexvw Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:20 pm

Wondering how I remove the dash from a 74' SB so I can add a toggle switch. Thanks. :D

Joel Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:22 pm

That is a lot of work just to mount a toggle switch, I doubt anyone has ever removed the dash just to add a switch, you can access all the areas to mount a switch without removing the dash

Removing the dash isn't a huge job but still over kill for just for a switch addition.

Anyway here's whats involved.

http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6982

You can see it had a push button for the washer fitted between the fresh air knobs where the blank plug was and the dash wouldn't have been removed for that.

alexvw Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:01 pm

Well I just got some lights for it and wanted to mount a switch somewhere in the dash, are there any plates that can be removed from it so I can cut a whole for a switch? Thanks.

Joel Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:49 pm

Plenty of spots in the switch panel which is easily removed.

pop the end cap/cover bits off, theres 2 screws under each and 1 screw under the rubber plug below the speedo.

Some cars the steering column stops the panel coming out easy, others it comes out fine so u may need to loosen that off abit.

But its not hard to drill the hole through then reach up behind and mount the switch either

Alot less work that removing the dash.