TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cutting Brakes- Bore Sizes
Hyperwrx Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:13 pm

Looking at getting some and see they come in different bore sizes. Appear to be available in 5/8", 3/4" and 7/8" bore? What is the benefit/restriction of using one size over the other?

Am I limited to using a particular size in my stock brake system vw baja?

jsturtlebuggy Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:32 pm

5/8" Bore works well with stock VW drum brakes and either a 22 or 23mm rear wheel cylinders
3/4" bore good for single piston disc brake setup.
7/8" bore is for 4 or 6 piston disc brake calipers.
Using too large of diameter steering brake will make it harder to stop the wheel on the side you are wanting to stop.
I have always used the 5/8" Neal or CNC single handle steering brake.
Just my preference.
Some people do like the idea of 2 handles.
It is your preference.

Hyperwrx Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:56 pm

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I purchased a 5/8" bore in a single pull brake design.

I had a rail in the past and installed a cutting brake on my left between the seat and outer bars and it worked out great. I am now forced to situate the cutting brakes between the front seats behind the shifter. Seems like the vertical handle will get in the way even though I will pull it back as far as I am able.

dixon_cass Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:04 pm

i have mine set up right in front of the shifter off the the left side a little bit. im afraid if you put it inbetween the seats it will put your arm in a bind while using it. you want to be nice and relaxed while horsing around :D

Hyperwrx Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:11 pm

dixon_cass wrote: i have mine set up right in front of the shifter off the the left side a little bit. im afraid if you put it inbetween the seats it will put your arm in a bind while using it. you want to be nice and relaxed while horsing around :D

That's in a bug? Have a picture of how its situated? I am open to anything besides between the seats.

dixon_cass Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:58 am

no sorry thats in my sand rail. it might not be bad in the baja bug in between the seats

dirtkeeper Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:16 am

mines between the seats. Its a little tight cause my seats are very wide but i can use it fine when needed and still use my emergency brake. Mine ( bug pack i think)had a really sloppy handle so i put in a plastic bushing in the hinge pin area and welded nubs on the back of the arm where it contacts the cylinder ends to get rid of slop and rattle.

i've got a 3" lift so orientation to the seat may be different

jsturtlebuggy Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:02 am

This is my buggy with a CNC steering brake mounted just in front and to the right side of shifter.
I did have to weld tabs on to outside of tunnel to support it and used 1/4"
nutserts/rivet nuts in tunnel to mount to.
When I mock it up I made sure that it cleared the shifter when in 3rd gear.
To me this a very comfortable position to be able to use the steering brake.

pilotricky Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:39 pm

It looks like the position Joseph Sellars has his turning brake seutp installed is probably the way to go with it, my question now is this...How do all the lines go to and from it? I have EMPI single caliper disc brakes at all four wheels, and have no idea of how the lines are supposed to go to use the turning brakes AND also use the regular brake pedal normally? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

cbeck Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:34 pm

the one ? brake line running to the rear brakes currently will go to the 'in' on cutting brake assy. There should be 2 out, one to each rear brake. Which where depends on dual or single lever, weather push/pull for left/right. Don't forget to bleed.