TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: "66 VW Bug 6 Volt Vs. 12 Volt Conversion Dilemma
TexasDeuce Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:46 pm

I am gathering some parts for my '66 Bug and I have come to the point where I have to decide to stay with a 6 Volt system or convert to 12 Volt.

I have read posts voicing opinions supporting both. My question is this...what are the benefits to going to 12V other than brighter lights? I do not plan to put a stereo system in my bug or anything else.

What are your experiences with leaving your ride with a 6V system?

Here is what I have now:

The car currently has 1300SP and is pretty much ALL stock. Arguably a "numbers matching" car but it really doesn't matter because I am not planning on a restoration. Everything is functional on the car radio, wipers ect..... except for the turn signals.

The car will be going to body and paint next weekend. Once i get it back, my plans are to drive it daily [day or night]. I plan to keep this one....For real! [My wife calls me a car whore because I never keep a project for more than a year] I plan to prove her wrong.

I would like to leave the 1300 in it until it can go no more and then eventually replace it with a 1641 I have on stand by.

Thanks in advance for your advice...

KTPhil Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:13 pm

Brighter lights and perhaps more reliable starts. But a properly maintained 6V setup will serve you just fine. Does your 6V setup work now? If not, I'd be tempted to go 12V since I'm buying all anyway, and 12V parts are probably more easily available, and who knows, you might change your ind about the stereo. 2-speed wipers, too, if you want them.

gt1953 Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:14 pm

6volt nothing wrong with that. Just clean up every electrical connection nice and shiny the groud wires also. Keep it like it is and enjoy it. As far as sound that is what the lil personal MP3's are for. The term you used [Arguably a "numbers matching" car] sounds interesting, I like you have a car that matches that term numbers matching.

Eric&Barb Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:14 pm

If you are going to take the time to go through the electrical system, you might as well stay with 6 volt. A 6 volt system with every connection cleaned and tight will work better than a 12 volt system that is not taken care of.

dugsgms Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:20 pm

Mine is a 6V still. Really it works pretty well but heres a few things that could be considered disadvantages to staying 6V. The lights aren't as bright as a 12V car but I installed a new wiring harness so they really aren't that bad. You're not really supposed to jump start off a 12V battery but Im sure in a pinch you could. You'll need to buy a 6V battery charger if you aren't planning to drive it too often. My 12V timing light wouldn't work with the 6V system. O.E. style 6V batteries are expensive. If you're concerned with originality keep it 6V, if not make it 12V.

TexasDeuce Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:49 pm

Thanks for the replies so far. Everything works on the car, Radio, Wipers except for the turn signals. I trouble shot the 9 prong turn signal relay and the turn signal switch and came up with nothing [but i guess that is another thread].

I am not really concerned about a restoration and I do not really listen to the radio...much less AM Radio. I would like to keep it as original as possible but i won't freak out if it isn't 100% original.

I just want a safe reliable driver that i can jump in day or night, roll down the windows, stick my elbow out and cruise.

Hammarlund Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:33 am

Here's one take on the six-volt/twelve-volt dilemma: a carefully planned, well thought out conversion is likely to be beneficial. On the other hand, a carefully planned, well thought out refurbishing of your six-volt system is equally likely to acheive the same results.

Have you measured the voltage present at the turn signal? What did you find? If it is less than five and half volts or so, you have a problem that will have to be found and fixed, whether you do a twelve-volt conversion or not.

Get the six-volt system working properly first. Then you will have a sound basis, both in the structure and in your knowledge of the car's electrical system, for a successful twelve volt conversion, should you still feel one necesssary.

By the way, if you haven't tried an Optima six-volt battery yet, spend the bucks and make the experiment. Mine has made a big difference.