TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Sears allstate two wheeler. Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Glenn A Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:56 am

I picked this up off here a while back. I bought it to tow behind my bus, but because it is a 2 wheeler I get alot more use out of it because I can tow it with my Jetta or Tahoe.
It seemed to be in pretty good shape however the color was rediculous and the paint was thick. I decided it was time to give this little trailer some attention.

It started off like this. Purple! There was some extra lights cut into the rear frame and the wiring was junk.

The wiring will be replaced, extra lights will be removed and the holes filled.

Glenn A Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:16 am

Most of the Allstates I've seen have the tailights mounted to the lower rear of the frame. It doesn't seem like a good place for them. So I made some brackets the would mount to the sides of the frame and raise the lights a bit. Hopefully this will protect them a little. The round light where in good shape and will be reused.

I welded a nut to the top of the bracket and added a bolt. I did this to hold a flag or marker. Because the trailer is so short and narrow it is difficult to back it up because you can't see it. I guess this not a big issue with a single wheel.

Glenn A Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:33 am

So here it is before it went off to the blaster.

And after. I didn't have the top done because after a closer look it was ruined. The PO preped it for paint with what looks like a 36 grit grinder. There where places that the top was ground so thin I could poke a screwdriver through it and places where there was 1/4" of Bondo.

Glenn A Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:38 am

Next I had a freind make a new sheetmetal top. The new top is a thicker gauge and is one piece where the old one was two halfs.

Glenn A Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:44 am

Taillight holes are gone now.

Box is getting epoxied over the last couple of days. I'm going to pick up the paint today. And thats it You're all caught up.

wbrown45 Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:52 pm

The old tie rod for a bracket is a great idea! It is hollow, but very strong. That will be a very nice setup.

Glenn A Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:33 am

wbrown45 wrote: The old tie rod for a bracket is a great idea! It is hollow, but very strong. That will be a very nice setup.

Thanks. I wanted something that would hide and keep the wires protected.

Glenn A Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:05 pm

After a coat of sealer the sand green gets laid down.

plenty of room in the booth.

before and after a nice fresh coat of sand green. I think it looks kind of minty but I don't have anything to compare it too. I had some flatener added to the paint so it won't shine.

Glenn A Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:36 pm

I got the sides as straight as I care to get them. It took many coats of surfacer to get them looking decent. I also epoxied the inside of the new top to get it ready for assembly.

After I played around with the bus for a while I came back to the trailer and assembled the top.

Glenn A Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:45 pm

I was able to shoot some sealer and color on the inside of the top tonight. So now I fliped it over to get the top of the top ready. I also sprayed the sides of the trailer bottom and touched up a few spots here and there. Next step is to sealer the top and get some color on that and then hit the rims and fenders with some palm green.

Glenn A Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:10 pm

It's alive! I ran all the wiring in the frame where possible and installed the taillights. Bolted the springs, axle and tounge in place. Flipped it over and put it on a dollie. Put the top on and bolted the hold opens in place. I needed to get it together before the bad weather coming up. One of these days I'll get the top painted.

EverettB Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:11 pm

Just wanted to say I have been reading this and it looks great!

vw7266 Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:12 am

Nice work!

mattcuddy Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:27 am

You're going to redo the "Keep on Buggin" logo in palm green as well, right?

Glenn A Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:22 am

Thanks!

mattcuddy wrote: You're going to redo the "Keep on Buggin" logo in palm green as well, right?

Either that or "free candy".

Jake Martinez Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:32 am

:lol:

BlastMasterMannyFresh Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:19 pm

I gotta be honest, I saw this thing in person last Saturday and I really don't see what you guys are talking about, just kidding, just kidding, this thing is sweet and it's coming out really nice, good job Glenn.

WideFive Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:28 pm

mannys66 wrote: good job Glenn.

Don't you mean Glenn A :roll:

Seriously though, awesome work, man!

BlastMasterMannyFresh Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:30 pm

WideFive wrote: mannys66 wrote: good job Glenn.

let me get this in here before Glenn R. finds this thread.
G.A. and I are on first name basis :lol:

and i agree that little trailer is looking really nice

Glenn Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:14 am

mannys66 wrote: WideFive wrote: mannys66 wrote: good job Glenn.

let me get this in here before Glenn R. finds this thread.
G.A. and I are on first name basis :lol:

and i agree that little trailer is looking really nice
Just as long as I have a lower number on your speed dial.