TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Engine lid strap help. Page: 1, 2  Next
squaretobehip Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:48 pm

I'm looking for some detailed shots of the engine lid strap. I need close ups of the hook, and how it attaches to the lid itself. I prefer an original strap for reference, but any photos will help. The shots in the gallery aren't close enough. Thanks.

blankmange Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:55 pm

best pictures of mine:

if you have a squareback (I think you do), you need an engine cover for a squareback -- yes, it is different than the notch's or the fastback's cover...

the strap feeds under the little plate on the rear edge of the engine cover... and stitch them together for a nice fit - same with the hook at the other end...

the strap itself was easy to source: go to a fabric store and get some cotton blend webbing strap...

EverettB Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:01 pm

Here's the hook:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=798258

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=798257

Robert Bills Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:42 pm

EverettB wrote: Here's the hook:

I have been thinking about making a strap as well. Great photos. Thanks.

Now, if someone could measure the dimensions of the OG hook, including the diameter of the steel rod and the length of the strap, I think I would be able to make a few passable reproductions.

turbomicrowaves Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:15 pm

I bet you can get everything you need from an Army Navy Surplus.

Robert Bills Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:31 pm

turbomicrowaves wrote: I bet you can get everything you need from an Army Navy Surplus.

The webbing is easy. Nylon strap is available many places in many different colors, and what appears to be the original cotton strap is probably easily obtainable as well.

There are probably hooks somewhere that look similar (I'll start by checking my Grainger and McMaster Carr catalogs), but there are purists out there (besides me) who may appreciate something difficult to distinguish from the real thing. (1500 Club? :wink: :wink:)

czykvw Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:27 pm

If someone were to make these, i'd get one. Im tired of taking my lid off and on when I wanna check something out or just want to show it off!

turbomicrowaves Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:09 am

Robert Bills wrote: turbomicrowaves wrote: I bet you can get everything you need from an Army Navy Surplus.

The webbing is easy. Nylon strap is available many places in many different colors, and what appears to be the original cotton strap is probably easily obtainable as well.

There are probably hooks somewhere that look similar (I'll start by checking my Grainger and McMaster Carr catalogs), but there are purists out there (besides me) who may appreciate something difficult to distinguish from the real thing. (1500 Club? :wink: :wink:)

I have some hooks that look very similar.

squaretobehip Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:45 am

Thanks for the replies so far. Can anyone provide me with a close up shot of the other end where it attaches to the engine lid itself?

blankmange Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:16 am

69SquareGuy wrote: Thanks for the replies so far. Can anyone provide me with a close up shot of the other end where it attaches to the engine lid itself?

turbomicrowaves Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:08 am

blankmange wrote: 69SquareGuy wrote: Thanks for the replies so far. Can anyone provide me with a close up shot of the other end where it attaches to the engine lid itself?

My lid doesn't have that slot at the end.

squaretobehip Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:29 pm

69SquareGuy wrote: I'm looking for some detailed shots of the engine lid strap. I need close ups of the hook, and how it attaches to the lid itself. I prefer an original strap for reference, but any photos will help. The shots in the gallery aren't close enough. Thanks.

Is it sewn on? Have another hook? HOW IS IT ATTACHED? Pictures from 5 feet away are not going to help.

supaninja Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:30 pm

so my extra engine lid is a fasty lid, at least i know that for when i sell it.

blankmange Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:23 pm

69SquareGuy wrote: 69SquareGuy wrote: I'm looking for some detailed shots of the engine lid strap. I need close ups of the hook, and how it attaches to the lid itself. I prefer an original strap for reference, but any photos will help. The shots in the gallery aren't close enough. Thanks.

Is it sewn on? Have another hook? HOW IS IT ATTACHED? Pictures from 5 feet away are not going to help.

does your engine cover look like mine? if it doesn't, it isn't for a square...

squaretobehip Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:16 pm

Was the strap pressed in between the plate and lid? Turbomicrowaves has the same lid, but is missing the plate that goes over the strap.

blankmange Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:53 pm

69SquareGuy wrote:

Was the strap pressed in between the plate and lid? Turbomicrowaves has the same lid, but is missing the plate that goes over the strap.

gotcha -- you still have the original insulation on yours

it appears you have the plate - there is a gap between the plate and the lid itself; the strap is sewn around the plate....

squaretobehip Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:06 pm

I think I'm going to try and make a more universal strap. Same basic idea...

Mike Fisher Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:28 am

I prefer my black ISP mat rolled back with the lid just tilted back.

EverettB Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:31 am

Here's the original strap connection point from my '63

A post above says it is sewn around the plate. This makes it sound like there is a loop here but there is no visible loop.

EverettB Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:36 am

Robert Bills wrote: EverettB wrote: Here's the hook:

I have been thinking about making a strap as well. Great photos. Thanks.

Now, if someone could measure the dimensions of the OG hook, including the diameter of the steel rod and the length of the strap, I think I would be able to make a few passable reproductions.

Some hook measurements, all approximate:
Wire diameter - 2.8mm
Width of ring where webbing attaches - 20.5mm
Total length of hook, top to bottom - 26.3mm
Distance from end of hook back to straight part - 14.9mm
Length of hook from end of hook to top of bend - 18mm
Width of webbing - 15mm

Note that the wire is coated with some plastic-type protectant so this affects the overall measurements in a very minor way.

I hope those measurements make sense. If not, I could try and take a picture and annotate it.