TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: installing empi trigger shifter
Squashcar67 Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:56 pm

I'm trying to adjust my new EMPI trigger short shifter and its giving me problems. I can find reverse 3/4 fine. I can't get it into 1/2 unless i pull the trigger. I don't want to get this wrong and shift into reverse and grind away while shifting into 2nd gear :shock: are there any trick's to adjusting this trigger shifter?

bill may Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:01 am

i believe someone posted original literature that came with a hurst trigger shifter. it would be nice to find it as it is on samba.

rat70fj Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:38 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/hurst_saf_t_trigger_shifter.php

edlutzenberg Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:00 am

Hey bro, I have the exact same problem with what is probably the same shifter. Im not sure if it is because the pattern is so short and tight that I haven't got used to it yet or if there actually a problem.I have done a lot to this lil car over the winter and haven't put any miles on it yet to work out the bugs. (pun intended). If I don't figure it out I will try the the stock shifter again with the $5.00 short shift kit. Also make sure the little cage and bushing under the back seat are new and put synthetic oil in your trans. Good luck-Ed

Squashcar67 Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:17 am

yeah it just seems realllllly finicky. Thank you for the INSTRUCTIONS!!!! I'm gonna check the bushing/linkage and try again this morning. We'll see how it goes. Think i'll try putting it in first gear and snugging up a bit, then getting reverse adjusted in and working right 3/4 should fall into place. :vw:

Squashcar67 Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:52 am

bushing on tube is non even there!!!!! and the cage has a bit of slopp in it Off to vee parts for linkage bushing's etc. On my way we'll test drive a MINI coop S we've had our eye on. [-o<