TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Broken Fuel Pump Spacer In Case.What Should I do?
scratchs68 Wed May 04, 2011 7:11 pm

I was having trouble with existing fuel pump so I bought a new pump, rod, spacer, and gaskets. Took the bolt off the old pump and spacer was stuck really good to case. I got a razor knife under the old gasket and it broke the seal. As I pulled out the old spacer only half came out. The other half is stuck in the engine case. I tried to remove it , but it won't move. So I cut the new spacer off at the same spot as the other one. I put it back together and its pumping fuel. Will I have a problem with oil getting into pump? Or does oil go into rod tube anyways? Or should I buy a electric pump and block- off plate and forget about it. The piece is not going anywheres. I hit it with a punch and it didnt move. Any help or suggestions would be great.

Glenn Wed May 04, 2011 7:22 pm

Use an EZ-Out,

busdaddy Wed May 04, 2011 7:44 pm

Similar situation here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=455164

HRVW Wed May 04, 2011 7:56 pm

:lol:Over the yrs have seen quite a few broken when rebuilding a block...by others and myself included.

Best to leave the old piece inside as it is so as not to have any broken bits in the crank case or drop into the cam gear.

It is a taper fit and can only (safely that is) be removed with a punch from the inside of the case.

Trust me...have done many over the yrs building engines.

Steve

scratchs68 Thu May 05, 2011 4:03 am

So the pump should still work fine with it being in two pieces?

Greezy Joe Thu May 05, 2011 5:21 am

scratchs68 wrote: So the pump should still work fine with it being in two pieces?

It should work fine, I too have seen this and done this.

Cusser Thu May 05, 2011 6:22 am

I chiseled the bottom part of my broken one out. I think I retrieved broken pieces out from the oil strainer screen after. Anyway, this episode did no noticeable damage.

This was on my 1971's original engine. I did this to attempt to stop a very small oil leak near there, which wasn't the distributor seal or the oil sender either. But this didn't stop the little leak. Anyway, a few years later, one of the oil studs vibrated loose, Mrs. Cusser kept driving after the oil leaked out, bearing shells on the strainer, we drove it several more years, I've posted this before...