TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: To vent or not to vent? baywindow gas tank swap Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
busmania Fri May 06, 2011 9:00 am

I just installed a baywindow tank to get the extra capacity. I had an extra tank laying around so I figured why not. However, there are 3 holes that I am not sure if I should just plug or vent. 2 of the outlets are on the top of the tank (these were the original baywindow vents that ran up to the body vents on the outside). I plugged one and vented the other up towards the vent but I think it is burping a little bit of gas. The third hole was about 1/2" and right in the middle of the tank on the top. I plugged this one as well.

So, should I vent one of the vents? If so, where to? should I just plug them all? If so, with what? Will the pressure inside the tank not cause these plugs to leak or blow out?

disclaimer: I did search, i have been researching this topic for a couple months. I did not find any clear info about the venting. Thanks for the help.

Culito Fri May 06, 2011 9:22 am

You need some sort of vet, whether it be from the tank or in the cap. If the cap is vented, you can plug all the other ones off.

I would try to use one of the vents on the tank itself somehow. When I have to park on an uneven surface or make a hard left with a full tank, sometimes gas leaks out of my stock VW vented cap.

Campy Fri May 06, 2011 11:10 am

Make sure that it is a proper vent. You never want an open "hole" in a fuel tank, which would turn it into a bomb.

busmania Fri May 06, 2011 12:03 pm

Well, I guess I'll vent it. I will use a brake line or some other metal so that I don't risk cracking. My goal will be to make the vent as high as possible. I'll get some pics of my final design. Thanks again.

j.pickens Fri May 06, 2011 12:47 pm

I'd seal it up and only vent the cap.

Kelly Fri May 06, 2011 1:12 pm

j.pickens wrote: I'd seal it up and only vent the cap.

seems the easiest solution and it's proven effective already.

brettsvw Fri May 06, 2011 1:25 pm

You could use a charcoal canister from a bay and vent it through the canister to get rid of the gas odor.

Campy Fri May 06, 2011 2:47 pm

As I noted earlier, just make sure that it is done one of the ways that it was done at the factory; it is very dangerous to do it, otherwise (direct opening into the fuel tank).

GDOG57 Fri May 06, 2011 2:56 pm

brettsvw wrote: You could use a charcoal canister from a bay and vent it through the canister to get rid of the gas odor.
This is what i did to my split with bay tank.

Campy Fri May 06, 2011 3:11 pm

The cannisters are good.

busmania Fri May 06, 2011 4:06 pm

If I vent the cap, do I buy a new cap or just drill a small hole in the og cap?

Kelly Fri May 06, 2011 7:10 pm

About 5yrs or so ago I drilled a small hole in my aftermarket gas cap and haven't had any problems. It's not everybodys first choice, but it works for me. IIRC the original cap is vented already, but my mind is a little fuzzy at 4am with no GO juice yet.

Campy Fri May 06, 2011 8:14 pm

As I noted trwice, you do not want a hole directly in the fuel tank. If vapor builds up outside the tank and reaches a source of ignition, i.e., a pilot light, you have a bomb on your hands. Get a vented cap.

busmania Sat May 07, 2011 7:15 am

Campy, there will be NO hole in the tank. I vented it for now with an existing vent/fuel line and vented it near the outside vents. I will be closing off the og vents and buying a vented cap. I don't think I implied I would be drilling a hole in the tank, after all that would also make gas leak.

Campy Sat May 07, 2011 10:50 am

By "hole" I meant any direct route for gasoline vapor to escape into the atmosphere, which could be dangerous.

brettsvw Sun May 08, 2011 6:34 am

Ideal place for a vent would be in one of the rear wheel wells.

Campy Sun May 08, 2011 12:00 pm

It is good that you will be getting a vented gas cap. This "venting" thing where gas vapor is allowed to go directly out of the fuel tank into the atmosphere, at the wheel wells or wherever, is just plain dangerous.

busmania Sun May 08, 2011 12:06 pm

For the temporary vent that I am using now, I ran the vent right up to where the gas cap is. So, technically it is venting in the same place a vented gas cap would but I dont like how it looks so I will be getting the cap. Where would I find a vented cap that fits? FLAPS? I normally order from wolfsburgwest, but their site has been down. Anyone know whats going on? Hope they are just doing site maintenance. Thanks again for the help.

brettsvw Mon May 09, 2011 5:18 am

Venting through a charcoal canister in the wheel well is better than a vented cap. The tank fill point is still in the engine bay. Fumes can still make there way into the engine bay from a vented cap.

Venting the cap is easier than using a charcoal canister and is the stock way for a split.

BarryL Mon May 09, 2011 8:09 am

busmania24 wrote: Where would I find a vented cap that fits?

Replacement caps are: Stant 10623 stainless vented, Fram RG23 7195514 zinc vented, and Car Quest 34004 which is the Stant 10623 reboxed.