TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Our '67 Bug "Crusty" Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
silvertonguedevil Fri May 06, 2011 4:02 pm

While in the middle of a major restoration on our '63, I realized that I really wanted to get my hands on a driver. The goal is to have a fun, reliable car to take to club meetings and events and just cruise around with the family. I found this super-solid, all-original Savanna Beige '67 here in town and thought this would fit the bill. It's a running (barely) car and just needs some cleaning up. I want to replace the seat covers, door panels, carpet, etc and I will just end up buffing out the original paint. It is important to me that all of the electrical/lights work. I will be packing wheel bearings, going through the brakes, stuff like that. I will pull the engine and clean it all up, detail it and fix the rough running condition. I will also be installing front drop spindles, adjustable/narrowed beam and some wheels and tires. I will post the progress pics here.

Here it is last Saturday when it followed me home.

silvertonguedevil Fri May 06, 2011 4:04 pm

...a couple more...

silvertonguedevil Fri May 06, 2011 4:07 pm

Got the car washed this morning and stuffed into the garage. Here's some shots of where it will spend some time receiving some much-needed love.

6Kabrio7 Fri May 06, 2011 5:22 pm

Other than the fuel pump and missing hoses and door panels that car looks almost all original. Please keep it that way [-o<

silvertonguedevil Fri May 06, 2011 7:58 pm

I don't intend on keeping it stock but anything and everything I modify or change will be kept and will be able to be easily put back to stock. I promise. I don't like making modifications that can't be undone.

65'1300Deluxe Fri May 06, 2011 9:53 pm

What's wrong with the rear apron? The left fender isn't perfectly flush against it.

61SNRF Fri May 06, 2011 10:03 pm

You scored on this one. Perfect example of why I love California!
Let me guess, "solid floor pans with just a tiny hole under the battery", right?
You have to know this car is worthy of a total stock resto. It probably even has it's original H case. I'd be curious to know the first few digits of the engine and chassis numbers.
Like 6Kabrio7 said, a few missing item's, but most of the hard to find stuff is there. Spade terminal Generator, Air filter support bracket, looks like correct distributor, air filter, tin, etc. Looks like it even escaped the dreaded 80's retrofit STP smog device.
Not to mention OG looking bumpers, fenders, clean aprons, OMG!
US 67's do make the best DD's for use in the US 2011 IMHO, but you don't have to change much. Resto-Mild custom would be cool.
All that '67 stuff is worth more when it's still on the original car, so document it all and keep it together for the best return.

bill may Sat May 07, 2011 5:30 am

that is my favorite 1967 only generator. they are better than 1968 and newer with studs and nuts to hold wires on.

silvertonguedevil Sat May 07, 2011 6:49 am

65'1300Deluxe wrote: What's wrong with the rear apron? The left fender isn't perfectly flush against it.
It just appears that way in the pic. It's just the fender beading coming out.

silvertonguedevil Sat May 07, 2011 6:59 am

61SNRF wrote: You scored on this one. Perfect example of why I love California!
Let me guess, "solid floor pans with just a tiny hole under the battery", right? Yeah, something like that.... :lol:

61SNRF wrote: You have to know this car is worthy of a total stock resto. It probably even has it's original H case. I'd be curious to know the first few digits of the engine and chassis numbers. I'll grab that info this weekend for you.

61SNRF wrote: Resto-Mild custom would be cool. Great description of what I have planned.

61SNRF wrote: All that '67 stuff is worth more when it's still on the original car, so document it all and keep it together for the best return. Will do! :wink:

cory464 Sat May 07, 2011 6:24 pm

that is kinda wierd, it looks exactly like the back of my 67 when i found it. same patina on the roof. looks like a great deal. the 67 dual snorkel air cleaner is the coolest.

silvertonguedevil Sat May 07, 2011 6:31 pm

Hey Bruce- I got the digits for you....

Vin - 117649537
Engine - H0660430

Let me know if that means anything cool..... 8) :lol:

silvertonguedevil Sun May 08, 2011 8:31 pm

So I went and bought some Mequiar's Rubbing Compound and started working on polishing out the old oxidized paint. The pictures kinda speak for themselves.

Before

Here's half of the hood done. It's not a crazy difference but you can (hopefully) see the difference.

silvertonguedevil Sun May 08, 2011 8:39 pm

The weatherstripping in the car is SHOT! I will be pulling all of the glass out of the car and replacing all of the gaskets. I have to be extremely careful as all of the glass is original and in good shape.

silvertonguedevil Sun May 08, 2011 8:42 pm

I got the windshield out without breaking it!

The drain holes were clear and the corners are solid as can be!! 8)

61SNRF Mon May 09, 2011 7:22 am

silvertonguedevil wrote: Hey Bruce- I got the digits for you....

Vin - 117649537
Engine - H0660430

Let me know if that means anything cool..... 8) :lol:
March/April '67 Beetle with original matching number engine 8) , yeah that's cool!
The case is another part you might want to preserve. If you're going to build a Hi-Po engine, the H case is old and out dated, as well as fatigued. Again, one of those parts you don't need to find and worth more in it's original car.
That's what I'm going to do with my matching number '66. Pull the stock motor with it's F case and put it aside. I'm now collecting parts to build a complete engine as a substitute.

silvertonguedevil Mon May 09, 2011 1:21 pm

That's what I came up with also.

I don't intend on rodding this engine. I want to just make a sweet-running around town bomber out of it. If it's all tuned up and running like it should, it's plenty of power for me. If I decided that I wanted more go-go, I would do the same thing as you. I would pull this one out and put it aside and install the hopped-up engine.

silvertonguedevil Sun May 15, 2011 7:23 pm

I pulled the back glass window out of the car today and cleaned up both pieces on the kitchen table (thanks honey). They are by no means perfect, but they're OG and in pretty darn good shape. Just cleaning them up made a huge difference. I ordered new rubbers and metal trim from WW today also.

All lathered up

Not too shabby at all

Got the back glass all cleaned up also

gt1953 Sun May 15, 2011 7:35 pm

Now don't break it during reinstall.

silvertonguedevil Sun May 15, 2011 7:36 pm

:lol: God, no kidding! :lol: