TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: '85 Vanagon Alternator blue ground wire
mattrhogan Sat May 07, 2011 7:25 am

Hi,
I'm just starting to do some of my own work on my Van and had to replace the alternator. I got a "Worldwide 90 amp" alternator from advance auto and put it in. The battery is charged and the car starts but the OSX light and battery light go on. From other posts it makes me think the battery isn't getting charged and I'm thinking it's because the blue wire is properly grounded. the alternator has a plastic piece sticking out where the blue wire goes and it has what looks like a copper slip piece that the blue wire goes over, but the plastic piece is very loose. How do I figure out what is going on and if in fact the battery is not charging? Remember, I'm pretty new to this.
Thanks

crazyvwvanman Sat May 07, 2011 7:34 am

You are hooking the blue wire to the wrong thing I suspect. The loose spade sticking out is probably the W lead and should not be connected to anything on a gas Vanagon. The blue wire connects to the small stud or a spade right next to the big stud where the red wires connect. The blue wire is not a ground. Can you post a photo?

Mark

mattrhogan wrote: Hi,
I'm just starting to do some of my own work on my Van and had to replace the alternator. I got a "Worldwide 90 amp" alternator from advance auto and put it in. The battery is charged and the car starts but the OSX light and battery light go on. From other posts it makes me think the battery isn't getting charged and I'm thinking it's because the blue wire is properly grounded. the alternator has a plastic piece sticking out where the blue wire goes and it has what looks like a copper slip piece that the blue wire goes over, but the plastic piece is very loose. How do I figure out what is going on and if in fact the battery is not charging? Remember, I'm pretty new to this.
Thanks

mattrhogan Sat May 07, 2011 8:43 am

I can't post a pic till later but here is the link to the part:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores...19084____#

Is this one just laid out differently than the original because on the original the blue wire wasn't connected next to the red one.
thanks

crazyvwvanman Sat May 07, 2011 8:51 am

That part you show has the details needed. The blue wire must plug next to the big wires. That photo shows a spade there in the wiring area protected by the black insulator. All of the wires in a gas model go to those 2 spots protected by the black part.

That photo shows a white/clear plastic covered male spade sticking out a ways elsewhere. DON'T put the blue wire there. Nothing plugs there in gas vans.

Mark

mattrhogan wrote: I can't post a pic till later but here is the link to the part:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores...19084____#

Is this one just laid out differently than the original because on the original the blue wire wasn't connected next to the red one.
thanks

mattrhogan Sat May 07, 2011 9:33 am

That did it, thanks Mark!